Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew I glimpsed something swinging

Gender bender on IAAF agenda
    Genetic tests … the IAAF will rule on whether South African teen sensation Caster Semenya, right, can run in the 800m final.
    Photo: AFP

Latest related coverage

Advertisement

Dan Silkstone in Berlin
    August 19, 2009

SOUTH AFRICAN middle-distance sensation Caster Semenya was at the centre of an inquiry on Tuesday due to concerns about whether she is a male or female.
    The 18-year-old has emerged in recent months as a top 800 metres runner, and won her semi-final in commanding fashion at Berlin's Olympic Stadium on Monday night, eliminating Kenya's Olympic champion Pamela Jelimo along the way.
    But the South African's physique and powerful style have sparked speculation in recent months that she might not be entirely female. IAAF rules state that competitors must be entirely female to compete in women's races but some people are born with a mixture of chromosomes and display both male and female characteristics.
    The Herald understands that the world athletics governing body, the IAAF, has conducted a series of tests on the South African, including physical checks and genetic screening.
    Officials were to meet late Tuesday to decide whether the teenager from Pretoria would be able to compete in the 800m final on Wednesday.
    ■ Australians John Steffensen, Joel Milburn and Sean Wroe cruised into the semi-finals of the men's 400m on Tuesday.
    Steffensen was an impressive second in his heat in 45.37 seconds, behind reigning Olympic champion LaShawn Merritt from the United States (45.23s).
    Petrina Price narrowly missed out on the high jump final, while Benn Harradine was eliminated in the qualifying round of the men's discus.
    with AAP
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

What gave her away? Because she wore long tights?

"but some people are born with a mixture of chromosomes and display both male and female characteristics"
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      SOUTH AFRICAN middle-distance sensation Caster Semenya was at the centre of an inquiry on Tuesday due to concerns about whether she is a male or female.
      Interesting name. Casts some doubt as to whether or not she may be packing some semen!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

packing ...but how? and wh....my look at the time ...gotta run!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Question...if she is a girl can she sue some one for the embarassment caused or at least get some serious money for having her sex brought into question???
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

World athletics has had to deal with this sort of thing in the past. However, if the global authorities are anything like the JAAA, then the policy to deal with such things is not yet in place, so all hell could still break loose!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes another african had to go through the same thing a few years ago, cant recall how that one went..
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

chromosone or hormones?

Comment

hmmm if iaaf is like FIFA probably not.... i.e. by competing he has signed something which refers everything to CAS....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

So I guess she checked out alright!

Great victory by Caster!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's no secret as yuh say..it pon har chest...See man ya!
                      Peter R

Comment

heh heh!

Leave her alone. If shi pass di test, give her a break.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I'm sure she's legit... great run! Look forward to seeing more of her (running that is)
                          Peter R

Comment

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                            X