Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt lives in a cloud of suspicion

Bolt lives in a cloud of suspicion

Comment Email Print Share var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Jackson:%20Fear%20and%20loathing", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/090818", published: "2009-08-18" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnst link"));
    By Scoop Jackson
    Page 2
    Archive | Contact

Mark Dadswell/Getty ImagesThe latest record by Usain Bolt left Scoop Jackson with joy in his heart and fear in his mind.
    Ever had one of those feelings you can't shake?

You know, one that haunts you. One that makes your heart beat faster, causing mini-anxiety attacks, in which you can feel yourself no longer breathing normally because of the apprehension that's been built up inside of you.

Like waiting for the news to come back from the doctor on whether or not what you have is terminal. Or that feeling of knowing one day your spouse is going to find out you've been unfaithful. Or knowing that one day the men wearing windbreakers (DEA, FBI, CIA, etc.) are going to come knocking at your door and it's all over.

You know, that feeling of total emptiness. Do you know that feeling?

When he crossed the line and that 9.58 flashed on my screen, I had that feeling. It was as if my body came to life and experienced death at the very same moment. You see, I love Usain Bolt. Love him the same way Boston loves Papi and Cleveland loves LeBron; the same way Skip Bayless loves Oklahoma and the media loves Parcells. It's almost unconditional; it's unapologetic, it's real. It's to the point where that person can do no wrong. And there's nothing wrong with it.

For it, we don't apologize.

But with that kind of love comes fear. With Bolt's kind of greatness, fear follows. Fear that one day the bottom is going to fall out. After seeing him doing something no one ever thought would be humanly possible to do: be more awe-inspiring than he was in Beijing. I hope the day never comes that we find out what we just witnessed was not true.

Usain Bolt has never failed a drug test, never been suspected of being anything but abnormal in the most honorable and respected way. But still, there's that small part of me that can't stop myself from thinking what the reality might be.

To any of us who say or believe that we've been totally desensitized by the use of PEDs and that we don't care anymore who uses them, we're lying. Because the one thing athletes do to all of us is make us feel for them. There's something that brings us to them in ways that don't necessarily happen with artists, actors, musicians, writers, etc. While we live to hear so-and-so's next song, or we can't wait for so-and-so's next film or will stand in line to buy so-and-so's next book, we pull for athletes. And that eventually pulls us deeper into who they are and what they do. And when someone comes along who can make you feel the way Usain Bolt has made many feel over the past year, we can't help hoping that one week or 10 years down the line his name is not associated with anything fraudulent.

We live in a culture of suspicion. This leads us to those thoughts we can't control. Even when blinded by faith and fact, the culture we live in and what we've been exposed to in the past has us -- even in moments of great happiness -- skeptical. Living in a cerebral fear that someone has evidence that will take our hope and crush it to a depth only reserved for life-changing moments.

Even with all of the beliefs of "naturality" (from Michael Phelps' records to Ray Lewis' sacks to Tiger's wins to Lance's Tours), everything is suspect. And more damaging than the realistic negative prism we have to look through, it's the feeling of doubt we can't escape that's actually worse to live with. There are certain names in sports we don't ever want to believe are tainted, certain athletes we never want to find out have any type of association with anything synthetic. Pujols, Woods, Phelps, LeBron, Serena. The Manny and Papi findings stung. The Marion Jones unveiling hurt. People will say they hate Barry Bonds and that all evidence is pointing against him, but truth be told, if the evidence ever comes up concrete and irrefutable, there will be some cloud of sadness that will hover over that final discovery.

All those names considered, nothing would hurt more than damning evidence on Bolt. Even if it comes years after he's retired, after he shatters his own world records in the 2012 Olympics. There have been five sprinters from Jamaica (two from the team he trains with) who have tested positive for methylhexaneamine (a substance that is not on the 2009 World Anti-Doping Agency list of banned substances, but is on the 2010 list). Which makes matters of suspicion more difficult to ignore. A man shaved 0.11 seconds off a world record he set less than a year ago, and before that it took 39 years to shave 0.21 seconds off the record. It's like no one had ever hit over 61 home runs in the history of baseball in a single season, and then all of a sudden three men do it six times in a span of four years.

I'm trying not to be naive. I'm trying not to be suspicious. I'm trying to believe.

Still, I have those feelings. Have you? Ever been happy and scared at the exact same time? Ever had that dual feeling of conflict and concern run through your body and soul to the point that you have no concept of how to feel? You know that feeling that comes after watching a man do something possibly greater than any single feat in any single sport, with an ease that leads you to know in your heart he's so great that if he wanted he could actually run faster? Make you forget what you just saw?

Ever been just waiting for someone to tell you that one of the greatest things you've ever seen in your life never really happened?

Ever had that feeling?

Yeah, I think you have.

Scoop Jackson is a columnist for ESPN.com.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

I believe the 100m speed record is a trade off between height/stride length and time to get out of the blocks. We need to compare Bolt times to another 6' 5" sprinter. Perhaps if we can get a 7 footer up & out of the blocks then 9.58 may be a stroll.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
      We need to compare Bolt times to another 6' 5" sprinter.
      But thats just it though. There are not many and certainly none like Bolt. He is a freak of nature by any measure.

Re the article, from the perspective of a sports loving non-Jamaican journalist, I think his is a very understandable position. He is basically afraid to believe. I have some co-workers who are big cycling fans and they can't stop talking about Lance Armstrong and how great he is. Yet I am just not able to appreciate his accomplishments because in the back of my mind......

Anybody who followed T&F when Ben Johnson tested positive is vulnerable to that. It has never been the same since then.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Two tested positive from Bolt's camp?
        Who are they?

Blake I know! ...but the other? ...aaaah?
        Marvin Anderson?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I guess this is still relevant a year later:

USAIN BOLT ADMITS TO USING THE DRUG AD RENA LIN
          September 26, 2008
          Jangle, Staff Reporter

In a stunning interview last night after appearing on the Late Night Show with David Letterman show, triple Olympic gold medal winner and triple World Record Holder Usain Bolt made a shocking admission to using the drug Ad Rena Lin. His admission comes in the wake of widespread accusations and speculations about the validity of his world record breaking performances at the recently concluded summer Olympics held in Beijing, China. These accusations and speculations were led by former three-time Olympic gold medal winner, Carl Lewis and Victor Conte, the founder and president of the Bay Area Laboratories Co-operative (BALCO).

It should be pointed out that Carl Lewis was reportedly tested positive three times before the 1988 Olympics for banned substances, a ruling that was overturned by the USOC due to inadvertent use, whilst Victor Conte pursuant to a plea bargain struck with prosecutors, entered guilty pleas in July 2005 to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids and a second count of laundering a portion of a check, he was sentenced in October to spend four months in prison and another four on house arrest. In December 2004, he participated in an interview with Martin Bashir on ABC’s 20/20 program, where he admitted to running doping programs for athletes who have broken Olympic records.
          Mr. Bolt also admitted that the drug, Ad Rena Lin, was widely used amongst his fellow Jamaican athletes at the just completed Olympics. The little island in the Caribbean with a population of 2.7 million, recorded their biggest medal haul at a single Olympic since first entering in 1948. The island's contingent led by an awesome performance from Mr. Bolt himself, finished with a record 11 medals - six gold, three silver and two bronze - beating, by four, the previous highest tally of seven at the Sydney Games in 2000.
          Jamaica had never won more than two gold medals at any one Games before. This time, they captured three times as many to finish third on the track-and-field table, behind powerhouses United States with seven gold, nine silver and seven bronze, and Russia with six gold, five silver and seven bronze.
          Mr. Bolt revealed further in the interview, that the mysterious drug was administered throughout the team’s pre-camp training but the doses were increased thirty minutes prior to the start of each race for greater effect. The drug was self-administered in plain view of the unknowing public every time he entered the stadium through an earpiece attached to his I-pod. He revealed that the I-pod was used to pump out the sounds of the latest Jamaican Dancehall music which in turn has a chemical reaction that causes the drug to increase its flow through the veins. The effects of the drug could be seen in his pre-race antics when the muscles in his legs and arms started to twitch and he broke out into a dance.
          Based on this revelation, it could be safe to assume that the drug was in effect when the cameras caught Mr. Bolt’s fellow teammate, Melaine Walker’s muscle twitches prior to her winning the 400m hurdles race or Shelly-Ann Fraser’s uncontrollable burst of energy after decimating the field in the 100m women’s finals.
          Although the drug, Ad Rena Lin, has long been known for its effect by scientists, WADA and the IAAF, it was never placed on the banned substance list. In 2001, the WADA commissioned several of the world’s leading scientists to study the effects and what triggers the drug. The world now awaits the actions of the IAAF now that it can be proven that Jamaican Dancehall music will act as a catalyst to increase the flow of the drug through the veins that will give an unfair advantage to these Jamaican athletes.
          While the world waits, Mr. Bolt will continue on his worldwide quest in becoming a global icon.

Jangle is the 2007 Pulitzer Prize winner for his investigative reporting. All Rights Reserved. The Gully Creepah & Nuh Lingah News Network
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Obikwelu was 6ft 4.

Comment

Who?? Oh you mean the fastest European in history.

Don't get excited Maudib, he was born in Nigeria, ie West Africa, ie that same region where the US and Caribbean slaves came from? Strange coincidence AGAIN!
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

snicker

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                  Obikwelu was 6ft 4.
                  Problem: He's not Jamaican.

That fact limits his potential.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

But you know, if I remember "Things Fall Apart" correctly, them have nuff nuff yam in West Africa, so maybe him right! Maybe is the yam fe true!

So with yam in the DNA already and then pon top a dat, Bolt grow up consuming yam in abundance in Trelawny, boom 9.58!!

Mek sense!

Comment

Working...
                    X