Simone Facey: Much Respect!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simone Facey: Much Respect!

One positive thing that emerged from the controversy surrounding the Jamaican women’s 4x100-meter relay team last week was the fact that Simone Facey, a long-time representative for our country, got her first IAAF World Championships gold medal at the senior level.

As I watched the very lovely Simone being introduced in the starting block on Saturday, my mind flashed back in time to the 2001 Carifta Games in Barbados, where I saw Simone for the first time (and a young, 14-year-old Usain Bolt as well). At that 2001 Carifta meet, Simone won the gold medal in the 100-meter dash (was it the Under-17? I cannot remember), and then returned and anchored Jamaica to a win in the 4x100-meter relay.

For whatever reason, Simone did not represent Jamaica at the 2002 Carifta Games, a meet which Anneisha McLaughlin and Usain Bolt (and to a much lesser extent Jermaine Gonzales) dominated. Thankfully, four months later Simone was again on Jamaica’s team, this time at the IAAF World Junior Championships in Kingston.

We all no doubt remember that awesome 4x100-meter relay team that won the gold medal in a new World Championships record, running what was at that time the second fastest junior women’s relay time in history (43.40 seconds). That fantastic team, with Sherone Simpson on lead-off, Kerron Stewart on back stretch and Anneisha McLaughlin on curve, was anchored by Simone. I still have in my mind the picture of a proud Simone Facey taking the victory lap with the Jamaican flag fluttering in her hands.

(Incidentally, and for the history buffs among us, the silver medal USA 4x100-meter team (43.66) was comprised of Lauryn Williams on first leg, Ashlee Williams on back stretch, Shalonda Solomon on curve, and Marshavet Hooker on anchor.)

The sprint relay, of course, was not Simone’s only contribution for Jamaica at that 2002 IAAF World Championships, as she was also the silver medal winner behind Lauryn Williams in the 100-meter dash. Kerron Stewart placed third.

If my memory is correct, Berlin (last week) was not the only time Simone represented us as a member of the senior women’s 4x100-meter relay team. As far as I can remember, she also ran on the 4x100-meter team in the semi-finals in Osaka, Japan.

Finally, Simone was the 2008 NCAA 200-meter champion, running for Texas A&M University.

Much respect to a proud and dependable Jamaican athlete !

ONE???

Yuh figget Annie Mac.

TWO reasons to celebrate. Those who appeared lost are now found again.

At FloTrack, AM said she considered giving up the sport as the thought crossed her mind that she was only destined to be a junior star and nothing more...

Comment

...also she sacrificed much of the early season so she could finish her degree at Texas A&M....priorities straight

She might have been injured for CARIFTA Games..

I had a front row seats for the 2002 WJC....great memories,
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Re: Simone Facey

Originally posted by Willi View Post
        ONE???

Yuh figget Annie Mac.

TWO reasons to celebrate. Those who appeared lost are now found again.

At FloTrack, AM said she considered giving up the sport as the thought crossed her mind that she was only destined to be a junior star and nothing more...
        I know about Anneisha, one of my favorite young athletes, and I certainly agree with you that we should celebrate her return. Most definitely! In fact, I was extremely happy when I saw Annie in the finals of the 200-meter race last week .

However, I deliberately chose to comment on Simone Facey for two reasons:

1. It was Simone, and not Anneisha McLaughlin, who ran the first leg on our 4x100-meter relay team that won the gold medal on Saturday.

2. As fas as this forum is concerned, Simone apparently does not exist! I cannot recall even a passing reference ever being made about this young lady.

Comment

Years ago, maybe about 4 years ago, before the rise of Sherone Simpson, she stormed down the track at the National Stadium in some 11.0something time. I had mentioned it here on the forum as I felt she would have been our next great 100m sprint queen. She had made that run look so effortless and it was her first of the season!

Things didn't turn out the way I had hoped, as I think she battled injuries soon after that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Re: Sacrificed much

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
            ...also she sacrificed much of the early season so she could finish her degree at Texas A&M....priorities straight

She might have been injured for CARIFTA Games..

I had a front row seats for the 2002 WJC....great memories,
            That is correct, Sickko (about the sacrifice she made so she could finish her studies).

I suspect that it was indeed an injury that kept Simone Facey out of the 2002 Carifta Games, because her absence otherwise didn’t make sense.

That 2002 IAAF World Junior Championships was great, and what amazes me is the large number of today’s senior stars who competed in Kingston! I wonder how many of us remember that Tirunesh Dibaba and Meseret Defar were in Kingston? In fact, Meseret won the 5,000-meter race and Tirunesh got the silver medal. Then there were others who graced the National Stadium tracks like Lashinda Demus, Tiffany Ross, Monique Henderson, Anay Tejeda (Cuba), Sweden’s Caroline Kluft, etc. Great Britain’s Jeanette Kwakye, who was in the finals of the 100-meter dash in Beijing last year, was on the British 4x100-meter relay team that won the bronze medal in Kingston behind Jamaica and the USA.

And the list goes on (there are many more names not listed here, but there is no point in trying to list all the names).

Comment

I have been in love with Blanca Vlasic since then after she was the first overseas winner who grabbed the Jamaican flag and paraded it around the track.

One American who I thought would have gone on but has not is Monique Hennigan, I recall flying back from Kikngston on a Trans Jamaica flight with herself, Bolt and Sanya and some others on the Monday after the meet.
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Years ago, maybe about 4 years ago, before the rise of Sherone Simpson, she stormed down the track at the National Stadium in some 11.0something time. I had mentioned it here on the forum as I felt she would have been our next great 100m sprint queen. She had made that run look so effortless and it was her first of the season!

Things didn't turn out the way I had hoped, as I think she battled injuries soon after that.
                You’re correct, Mosiah. I too had anticipated that Simone would have been the one doing the great things that Sherone Simpson was doing by around 2004 (Sherone made the finals of the 100-meter dash at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games) and afterwards. Certainly even at the time of the 2002 IAAF World Junior Championships, Simone was a faster sprinter that Sherone.

Comment

Nice Memories!

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                  I have been in love with Blanca Vlasic since then after she was the first overseas winner who grabbed the Jamaican flag and paraded it around the track.

One American who I thought would have gone on but has not is Monique Hennigan, I recall flying back from Kikngston on a Trans Jamaica flight with herself, Bolt and Sanya and some others on the Monday after the meet.
                  All of Jamaica fell in love with the rather eccentric Blanca Vlasic when she did that (lol)!! That was a really sensible and certainly sensitive move on her part.

In the case of Monique Hennigan, she apparently fell in love with Jamaica so much that she reportedly spent several extra days on the island after her USA teammates had left. I thought that, like Sanya Richards, both Hennegan and Monique Henderson would have lasted on the USA mile relay team and still be running today, but it has not turned out to be so.

Comment

eh hem, are you trying to say she fell in love with a little piece of Jamaica?
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

A lot of people on the team were faster than Sherone in 2002, I recalled not even KC Graham who coached the girl 4x100m relay could even recall her name, he called her 'the girl from Manchester High'

There were calls for Nadine Palmer to run or even Nickesha Anderson instead f her
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Wasn't Christine Ohuruogo there too?

That was a superb track meet. Jamaica should how appreciative and knowledgeable she was in T&F!

Can't wait for the big one to be held in Kingston!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There is consensus that the 2002 crop of Juniors might be one of the best ever in the sport
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Thanks to Kingston, Jamaica!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

not really, are you saying they would not be any good even if the meet was held in say Zagreb?
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X