• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a woman a woman? - good read from Tony Deyal

When is a woman a woman?
    Published: Saturday | September 5, 2009

Tony Deyal, Contributor
    Whether you call it a paradox or a parable, a lateral thinking puzzle or just a riddle, the question, "when is a woman not a woman?" becomes increasingly important as the fate of Caster Semenya, the young South African runner, is being decided by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).

An Indian runner, Santhi Soundarajan, was stripped of a silver medal she won at the 2006 Asian Games after failing a 'gender verification test' which indicated that she "does not possess the sexual characteristics of a woman'. Santhi reportedly attempted suicide in September 2007.

So let's start with the predicament of the surgeon that I used to end last week's column. What I said was, "Tony Deyal was last seen talking about the boy who, although badly hurt, survived a car crash in which his father was killed. The surgeon, seeing the boy on the operating table, said, "I can't do this. He is my son."

I promised the answer in this column. Most of you would have worked it out by now but those who still think...

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...cleisure2.html

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Good!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X