X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caster Semenya Gets Makeover

Runner Ignores Gender Scandal, Gets a Glam Makeover
    240 Comments
    In a perfect world, you'd know Caster Semenya as the teenage woman who can run half a mile in under two minutes. What you probably know her as is the athlete whose muscular physique prompted officials to order a test to verify her gender. But her femininity isn't a question at all in the "after" shots of her makeover from South African magazine You.

Smiling Despite a Scandal
    The makeover proved to be a learning experience for Semenya, 18, who admits she doesn't know how to put on makeup. The photo shoots also gave her the rare opportunity to get dressed up, something a girl who's in school and race training doesn't get the chance to do very often.

Says Semenya, "I didn't do this to prove a point but rather to have fun. I don't give a damn what people say about me. I like me the way I am, and who cares what other people say?"

Regardless of the controversy, South Africa has embraced its daughter since she took gold in the 800-meter race at the World Championships in Germany last month, She even met with Nelson Mandela, who praised her.

Click here for more about the gender question and why Semenya's coach resigned.

Testing Comes Under Fire
    Presently the results of the gender test required by the International Association of Athletics Federation are still being analyzed, so an independent panel of experts has been called in to decipher the results. Her coach quit this week, admitting that he didn't tell Semenya that her gender was being tested -- he told her she was being screened for steroids and other illicit substances.

Semenya may suffer from a rare chromosomal disorder that causes her body to produce too much testosterone. This isn't the first time an athlete's gender has been questioned or a genetic condition has wreaked havoc on qualifying tests. Whether or not that extra dose of testosterone gives her an edge over her competitors will have to be decided.

The results of the medical test will not be made public, since they warrant patient confidentiality. Regardless of what the results say, there's at least one teenage girl out there who likes herself just the way she is -- and we love that.

Makeover Results

NBC talk show host Conan O'Brien mentioned Semenya's makeover, saying everyone agrees "her penis looks 15 years younger."

Comment

Apparently, he/she needs more than a makeover. It has been established that Caster is a hermaphrodite!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Didn't Know That When I Posted.

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Apparently, he/she needs more than a makeover. It has been established that Caster is a hermaphrodite!

I didn;t know that when I posted.
        With the makeover, she now looks like a male contestant on "American Idol."

BTW, the final 10 acts for the rival show "America's Got Talent" have been determined.

6 singing acts, 2 dance acts, 1 percussion group and 1 comedian.
        Last edited by Bruce; September 10, 2009, 02:21 PM.

Comment

WORLD athletics is in crisis with tests showing champion runner Caster Semenya is a hermaphrodite - a person with both female and male sexual characteristics.

The tests, not yet publicly released, show the 18-year-old has no womb or ovaries.

The International Association of Athletics Federations is expected to disqualify the South African from future events and advise her to have surgery because her condition carries grave health risks, Britain's Daily Telegraph reports.

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/news-958-...dite/news.aspx

Comment

Also her testosterone levels are three times higher than most females. I expected she/he would be stripped of the medal anyway.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

A political solution is also required

She did not cheat and the IAAF blundered by making things public that should not have been made public and now with have the ANC and other non sporting body getting involved.

She did not set a world record so there is no reason to take away the win. The political solution is to let her keep the gold medal and award gold, silver and bronze to the other 3 places.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

She needs counseling right now. An Indian athlete that went thru the same thing attempted suicide a few times. The IAAF should pay for the counseling and ensure that she gets it!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I am fine with that but I feel that the SA federation is more responsible for the debacle than the IAAF. It must have been clear to them that something was not quite right.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yup - They lied to her about the test and misled the ANC.
                    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

I'm not sure what happened there, but unless there is some established rule as to what makes one female or male, and given that determination, what makes one eligible to compete as a male or female in such competitions, we might not be able to say that anyone misled anyone. I mean, maybe the South Africans saw something that looked female, if you know what I mean, but the possession of that may not necessarily mean that ovaries and a womb are present, or functional. She could have that external female organ but backed up by some testes. It gets crazy!

What is clear to me is the IAAF allowed the news to buss before getting to her. That is an injustice that should not have happened.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Somebody needs to get sued. Her career as an athlete is basically over. Potential earnings, mental anguish etc. enough to sue somebody.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                        X