Clear All

• Bolt renews Puma sponsorship contract

Bolt renews Puma sponsorship contract

Close
    EmailShare

TooManyTags(5);
    All tags

Bolt renews Puma sponsorship contract

Puma says Usain Bolt has become "the best paid athlete in track and field history" by agreeing to extend his contract with the German apparel company through 2013. Puma CEO Jochen Zeitz said Bolt will be used to help develop footwear and other apparel.
    By Associated Press | Posted: Aug 24, 7:36a ET | Updated: Aug 24, 1:11p ET

Related to this article

Video
    Photos
    Stories

LONDON (AP) - The fastest man in the world signed the fattest track and field contract ever on Tuesday, with Usain Bolt extending his sponsorship with German apparel company Puma through 2013.
    The world-record holder at both the 100 and 200 meters will be tied to the company through the 2012 London Olympics, when he is expected to attempt to retain his gold medals in both sprint events.
    Although the terms of the contract were not released, Puma chairman and CEO Jochen Zeitz said Bolt would be "the best paid athlete in track and field history."
    "He's an iconic global sports star and as such he's now remunerated," Zeitz told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.
    Bolt became a worldwide superstar at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, winning both the 100 and 200 in world-record times, and helping Jamaica win another gold and set another world record in the 4x100 relay. A year later, he again set world records in the 100 and 200 at the world championships in Berlin.
    "We've been partners in the truest sense of the word since day one, and so it's an easy decision to re-sign with them," Bolt, who turned 24 on Saturday, said in a press release. "Puma gets me; we fit together. They take the business of running seriously, but we also know how to have fun, to be spontaneous. We both bring a lot of personality to the sport."
    It was that personality that really endeared the lanky Jamaican to the masses at the Bird's Nest in Beijing, and drew criticism from International Olympic Committee president Jacque Rogge.
    In the 100, Bolt surged away from the field and slowed over the last few meters, even taking time to slap his chest before crossing the finish line in 9.69 seconds. A few days later, Bolt ran 19.30 in the 200 and then made little effort to congratulate his opponents before taking off on a victory lap and shouting "I am No. 1!"
    "I have no problem with him doing a show," Rogge said during the Beijing Games. "I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters."
    At the world championships, Bolt's showboating was muted, but his star was rising. He lowered his world record in the 100 to 9.58 and in the 200 to 19.19.
    "He's not just an athlete that promotes performance products but he's also an athlete that transcends well beyond his sport into lifestyle, and that's where we see the opportunity," Zeitz said.
    Earlier this month, Bolt said that he would cut his 2010 season short because of tightness in his lower back. The announcement came only days after he lost a 100-meter race in Stockholm - his first loss in an individual race in two years.
    The early end to this season will keep Bolt from running at the Commonwealth Games in India, but he is expected to be back for the 2011 world championships and the following year's Olympics.
    "We would have loved to see him perform in the Commonwealth Games, but it wasn't really part of his training schedule and race schedule anyway," Zeitz said. "It's unfortunate that he's missing a few races, but we all know that 2011 and 2012 are the really important years."
    Zeitz also said that Puma intends to make Bolt the central figure in its Olympic marketing program and use him to help develop footwear and other apparel.
    Bolt first signed with Puma, which also sponsors the Jamaican Olympic Association and the Jamaican Amateur Athletic Association, when he was only 16 years old.
    "Puma's been by my side since the beginning, before anyone knew what I was capable of achieving," Bolt said. "They saw potential in me and they took a chance, supporting me all the way, especially when things weren't easy for me due to injuries I suffered in my teens."
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

jus an addition from di rumor mill

You won't see this discussed much anywhere as endorsement deals in track and field tend to be highly classified and super secret. But perhaps Usain Bolt has re-opted with Puma - Bolt's contract with Puma supposedly was to end after 2010 and the big shoe companies were reportedly already in hot pursuit. BUT - Puma just very recently announced that Bolt was the face of its new fragrance line and in a very short blurb in NationNews.com today it was revealed that Usain Bolt has a near US$400 million product endorsement deal with the German-based sports equipment icon - which was orchestrated by Barbadian Adrian Gill, who is the vice-president of Footwear at Puma AG. Over how many years 5 years?, 10 years ? and the terms of the deal the story does not say - but even so if true this would be the largest endorsement deal in track and field history and substantially more than Bolt was reportedly making with Puma a year ago. Perhaps this was an inadvertent slip!

Comment

That is not a new rumour, it has been around and had been debunked a long time ago
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

What does the "best paid athlete in track and field history" equate to?

Do we know who has been the best paid athlete to-date? I assume they are talking specifically about shoe contracts here.

Why all this secrecy about T&F contracts anyway?
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Very good questions. Football contracts are public knowledge, as are most sports globally and this foolishness about not divulging the value of T&F contracts is an archaic notion
          Che Guevara.

Comment

One which I am sure works in the interest of the shoe/apparel companies.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

But ofcourse why should they make Joe Blow richer while they lose money thats not how you stay in business..

But if we look at the Bolt situation now, making him the highest paid track athletes ever is one thing, but how much more is he being paid more than the next guy.

We have some situations in baseball for example where if one player signs a contract for $10, the other has to be paid $11 just so he is the top paid at his position.

But Bolt is the most market friendly athlete we have ever seen and whatever the increase is he deserves it, I hope it compensates for the U$600K or so he would have lost by pulling out of the two meets left on his season.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Update..

Reported $$

http://urbanislandz.com/2010/08/24/u...g-to-the-bank/

Comment

Working...
                X