RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown:The Jamaicans are coming , thats what counts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown:The Jamaicans are coming , thats what counts!

US OPEN 2010: I'd dread a life like Murray's! But free-spirited Dustin Brown stands in Andy's way in round two

By MIKE DICKSON Tennis Correspondent in Flushing Meadows

Last updated at 11:34 AM on 3rd September 2010
    Blockbooking a set of hotel rooms in Manhattan amounts to relatively small change for Andy Murray, whose back-up team ensure every detail is catered for in his bid for the US Open title.

Dustin Brown has a friend who coaches him gratis when he can, and the Jamaican, 25, is accustomed to travelling around the European circuit in a camper van to cut costs.

These two worlds collide when the pair meet in the second round as the World No 4 meets the player ranked 123, whose existence is a throwback to a gentler age in professional tennis.

Freedom fighter: Brown harks back to a gentler era, but he works hard

The free-spirited Brown, however, does not envy the regimented life of Murray in his pursuit of greatness, even though the Scot need never worry about financial matters again.
    'There are a lot of people who have a lot of money, but it also depends on whether you are still a free person,' said Brown, as he prepared to play in front of the biggest crowd of his career.
    'I'm a very free person and I can do what I want. If I don't feel like playing next week I can just go home. Being in his position and having his kind of money there's a number of contracts you are tied to and certain rules you have to follow.

'That's probably right now why I don't have any contracts. I've been free most of my life and any contract I'm getting, I'm going to look at it properly to make sure I don't give away too much of my freedom and have other people deciding for me where I have to play and where I have to train.

Not all blood, sweat and tears: Andy Murray smiles during practice in New York

'I don't have a coach but here I've got my best friend, Daniel Puttkammer, who has been a coach in Switzerland. We've been working hard and seeing the results on the court.'
    In the past year, Brown improved his ranking by more than 300 places and, make no mistake, this will have been achieved through the kind of hard graft that Murray, 23, has subjected himself to for many years.

However liberated your spirit, the depth of the tour means there is no way of moving up the rankings by magic. But it is hardly surprising that Brown is refreshingly unconventional on and off court.

Born in Germany, he went back to Jamaica at nine and learned largely in the upmarket resorts of Montego Bay before returning to Europe in his late teens to try and make it as a professional.

How they compare

ANDY MURRAY

Homes: Oxshott and Miami.

Prize money: $12,181,000 (about £7.9m).

Sponsors: adidas, Head, Highland Spring, RBS.

ATP career titles: 15.
    Win-loss record 2010: 32-12.
    Drives: Range Rover, Ferrari.

DUSTIN BROWN

World ranking: 123.
    Homes: Winsen (G), Montego Bay.

Prize money: $233,460 (about £150,000).
    ATP career titles: None.
    Win-loss record 2010: 5-8.

Sponsors: Minor clothes deal with Top Spin, free flights from Air Berlin.

Drives: VW Camper Van.

One habit is that he does not always sit down at changeovers, and another throwback is his fondness for serve and volleying and use of a viciously sliced forehand. It is crowd-pleasing stuff, but surely not enough to disrupt Murray.

The Scot's main concern might be the weather, which is threatening to turn nasty. A postponement would leave him facing a worryingly packed schedule with the possibility of having to play six best-of-five matches in nine days if he were to win the title.

This is also becoming a tournament in which the top 10 are not having it easy in the early rounds. After the exit of No 7 Tomas Berdych, ninth seed Andy Roddick became another faller when he was beaten 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, 7-6 by Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic.

Roddick lost his temper when foot-faulted three times in the third set, even though he had no grounds for complaint.

British women's No 1 Elena Baltacha might still crack the world's top 50 on the next ranking list despite going down 7-6, 6-3 to Wimbledon semi-finalist Petra Kvitova, of the Czech Republic, in the second round.

Even if it does not happen now she has amassed sufficient points this season to make it an extremely likely occurence by the end of the year.
    VIDEO: Brown in Murray test...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...#ixzz0ySyoHJVq
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Ah hope di Jakan massive go out and cheer fi him.

He is our Bolt on court!

Duss(tin)(g) out Murray!

Comment

don't forget the brown sisters ..... you have been informed!!!!

http://simonevranovbrown.com/tennis/

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mi have mi niece and nephew coming. Their father was once rank and them taking it serious with the kids, he is also a tennis coach.

While they are still young, my sister have some serious plans if they continue to show the signs. Can't say mi never warn unnu.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

their dad is my schoolmate, and has been a fitness freak him ENTIRE life. from second form the man used to wear 5 lb weights on him ankles just to come to school.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah man the Browns future look bright.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the Brown..sorry, the Vranov-Brown sisters might need some height though.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dat mi a seh too.

5-6 nowadays ah midget in tennis.

Maybe they can eeek out summen like Amanda Kuetzer of RSA.

Comment

well dem get dat height from dem faada...him nuh grow since 3 or 4th form! must be di weight on him ankles! LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X