No announcement yet.

Sickko, are you sure it wasn't staged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sickko, are you sure it wasn't staged?

I knew of the incident but on another talk show it was said that it was all staged to get the JimRome show more popularity. I believe one or two people villified Rome for ''staging'' it in order to boost his ratings. The excerpt below from an on-line article gives a little peek into what happened :

"Rome achieved notoriety for an incident on his ESPN2 show in <U>1994</U> when he repeatedly called <U>NFL</U> <U>quarterback</U> <U>Jim Everett</U> "Chris" (after <U>Chris Evert</U>, the female tennis player), from the argument that Everett shied away from getting hit. Appearing as a guest on the show, Everett warned Rome about repeating the insult and then challenged Rome to do so. When Rome did, <U>Everett physically attacked Rome</U> while still on the air, overturning a table and knocking Rome to the floor. Years later, many believe the incident was actually staged, however Rome has remained silent on the issue. Not surprisingly, his silence came after Rome chose to finally deliver one of his insults in person. He does occasionally jokingly "run" (hang up on) a listener when they call a male sports figure by a female name, commenting with tongue firmly in cheek that "I don't stand for that sort of thing around here."

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jimeverett.html

Was it a set up or did Rome just have it coming?? I say it was a setup...both of them seemed to eager to provoke the other....funny stuff though.. "
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

RE: Sickko, are you sure it wasn't staged?

i don't think it was staged farmah... heard about it on a sport talk radio and the had a guy on who said it wasn't staged and everett was luckyto exercised restraint because of a lawsuit... it was then said that rome would have lost because he clearly provoked the incident...

got to admit it was good tv for those who dislike rome... real or staged...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

No it was not staged !

It is one of the most popular outragous tv moments ever.

Everrett has a soft reputaion while playing in the NFL for what was at the time the Los Angleles Rams thus the pun from Rome.

Rome is an idiot anyway, was then and still is now.

Comment

Never heard about the staged angle till now...thanks for the post...
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
        X