Gatlin admits failing drugs test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatlin admits failing drugs test

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh></DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Gatlin shares the world record with Asafa Powell at 9.77 seconds</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>World and Olympic 100 metres champion Justin Gatlin has admitted failing a drugs test in April.

The American, 24, was told the news by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

He said: "I have been informed that after a relay race I ran in Kansas City on 22 April, I tested positive for 'testosterone or its precursors'.

"I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorised anyone to administer such a substance to me."

<DIV class=avinline>Interview: Justin Gatlin's lawyer Cameron Myler </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: World Anti-Doping Agency chief Dick Pound </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: Asafa Powell's agent Paul Doyle </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: Ben Johnson </DIV>

Gatlin, who also shares the world record with Asafa Powell, added: "Since learning of the positive test, I have been doing everything in my power to find out what caused this to happen.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV>It is simply not consistent with either my character or my confidence in my God-given athletic ability to cheat in any way <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva>Justin Gatlin</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"I have been and will continue to cooperate fully with Usada as it moves forward with the process it has initiated and hope that when all the facts are revealed it will be determined that I have done nothing wrong."

Gatlin tested positive for an amphetamine at the 2001 US Junior Championships.

A subsequent ban was overturned after it was discovered the illegal substances were part of the medication he had been taking for a decade to combat attention deficit disorder.

But the International Association of Athletics Federerations (IAAF) made it clear at the time that a further doping violation would signal a life ban for Gatlin.

In his statement on Saturday, Gatlin said: "That experience made me even more vigilant to make certain that I do not come into
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

RE: Gatlin admits failing drugs test

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>USADA was alerted to test Gatlin, says Graham</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>AP
    Sunday, August 06, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>NEW YORK (AP) - Justin Gatlin's coach Trevor Graham says the US Anti-Doping Agency was alerted to repeatedly test the star sprinter until "you find whatever they had put in his body".<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=150 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>GRAHAM... They tested Gatlin three times in one week</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Graham told ESPN.com that doping control officers were waiting for Gatlin when he returned to Raleigh, North Carolina, on April 24, two days after the Kansas Relays, where he tested positive for testosterone or other steroids after a relay race. He was grabbed again at the April 25-29 Penn Relays.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"They just kept on testing him," Graham told ESPN.com. "They tested him three times in one week."
    Gatlin, the co-world record holder in the 100 metres, has said he didn't know how steroids got into his system, and his attorney has distanced the runner from Graham's comments.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Graham has been involved with at least a half-dozen athletes who have received drug suspensions. He has accused Oregon massage therapist Chris Whetstine of rubbing a steroid cream on Gatlin to trigger the positive test. Whetstine denies the allegations.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Somehow, when we are going to doping control, Chris stopped Justin and is like, 'Let me massage him really quick, coach,' Graham told ESPN.com. "I was like, 'No, you ain't got to massage it, man... He kept coming at Justin. 'Let me massage it.' ... (Whetstine) pulled a tube out of his pocket, not out of his bag, and then he just squirted a tube on Justin's leg."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Gatlin went straight to a doping test after the application of that cream, Graham said.
    "Someone probably called them, like they knew something was going to happen," Graham told ESPN.com. "Telling them to keep testing this guy until you find whatever they had put in his body."<P class=StoryText align=justify><P class=StoryText align=justify>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Coach Graham under investigation, says IAAF</SPAN>
      <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>AFP
      Friday, August 11, 2006
      </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
      <P class=StoryText align=justify>MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AFP) - The coach of disgraced Olympic and world 100m champion Justin Gatlin has been placed under investigation, world governing body, the IAAF, said yesterday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) said the probe into Trevor Graham will be carried out in conjunction with the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
      Gatlin, who is also the joint world record holder, will face a lifetime ban if his positive test for testosterone is confirmed.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The American, who also faces being stripped of the 100m world record he shares with Jamaican Asafa Powell, denies knowingly using banned substances.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Graham helped launch the investigation of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO) three years ago by anonymously mailing a syringe containing a previously undetectable steroid THG to the USADA.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Graham also trained Alvin and Calvin Harrison, Michelle Collins and Tim Montgomery and Patrick Jarrett, who have all received doping suspensions.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He was banned from all US Olympic Committee training centres and facilities last week because of the large numbers of his athletes who have tested positive.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"In order to defend the credibility of our sport, we will engage all our efforts, in co-operation with partners such as USADA, to defend the majority of athletes who are clean, against athletes, coaches, managers or any other support personnel who break our anti-doping rules."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Athletes coached by Graham, however, remain free to compete in this year's remaining World Tour meets based on invitations from organisers, the IAAF added.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

He is sounding desperate and silly now. Graham had better cool. With his record of doped athletes, it should come as no surprise if the dope control officers want to set up camp outside his athletes' doors!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X