RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Wolmer's Girls ever challenge the Rual Schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Wolmer's Girls ever challenge the Rual Schools?

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports5.html

Coach Carr and I share a dream, Wolmer's girls winning girls champs in 5 years. The challenge is, how to do it without the ability to recruit top T&F students like how the top schools do it?

Personally, I believe that WGS can win 200 points in a few ye s but currently that will get us about 3rd place. What we need is for about 10 girls teams score over 100 points. Herbert Morrison, St Elizabeth Tech, Alpha and Queens need to step up their game and steal points from Holdwood and Edwin Allen and level this unfair playing field.
    Wolmer's Girls aim to top Corporate Area rivals again

Published: Thursday | March 17, 2011 0 Comments

St Jago High's Snel Francis is seen here getting the better of Wolmer's Girls Candine Copeland in Heat three of the Class Two 100 metres, at the Douglas Forrest meet at Jamaica College in January. Copeland is one of the athletes on whom Wolmer's Girls' School will be relying to retain their Corporate Area title. - Ian Allen/Photographer

Carr

1 2 >
    //Define: ContentSlider("slider_ID", [autorotate_miliseconds], [custompaginatelinkstext], [customnextlinktext]) ContentSlider("slider1", 15000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 10000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray, "Foward") //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", "", "Foward")
    Ryon Jones, Gleaner Writer Wolmer's Girls have been the queens of urban [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]track [COLOR=blue !important]and [/COLOR][COLOR=blue !important]field[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] recently, having been crowned Corporate Area girls' champions at the GraceKennedy Boys and Girls' Championships for the past three years.
    The school, though not yet capable of rising to the heights of the boys - who captured the overall male title last year - will be looking to defend their regional crown.
    "Not being able to win the overall title right now, I think the girls' Corporate Area title is something for us to try and achieve, and a title is a title," Wolmer's Girls [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]coach[/COLOR][/COLOR], Michael Carr, stated.
    "So we are going for that, we have to set ourselves goals, it is something to work for and it is something to look forward to," he added.
    Long-term goal
    Carr, who has been coaching the team for the past 24 years, concedes that he will not be able to challenge for the overall girls title this year, but has his set his sights on doing so in the next couple of years.
    "Not right now, but we will be trying to go for it in a couple years, it is all about building the programme," Carr informed.
    "Unlike the other top schools, we are unable to recruit like they do, but with my coaching ability and the material that we have, hopefully, we can build up for the next couple of years. I think we will be able to challenge in a couple years' time," he further stated.
    Wolmer's Girls are, however, expected to put in some quality performances at this year championships, which gets under way on March 30.
    Carr is not taking any of the other schools lightly, but in their quest to retain the Corporate Area crown, he is expecting their stiffest challenge from St [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Andrew[/COLOR][/COLOR] High and The Queen's School.
    Though expecting [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]athletes[/COLOR][/COLOR] in all four classes to contribute to the accumula-tion of points, Carr cited some athletes whom he expects to produce notable performances.
    "In Class One, we have the CARIFTA under-20 champion and captain of the team, Shanique Hall, in the high jump and she will be supported very well by Israel Ramsey, who should do well in the high jump and 400m hurdles," he pointed out.
    "In Class Two, Aletha Edwards and April [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Williams[/COLOR][/COLOR] should feature in the throws, Kissi-Ann Brown is one to look out for in the 400m and Cardine Copeland in the shorter sprints. All these athletes should be in the last eight of their events at Champs," he added. "In terms of final position I will not say."
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.
Working...
X