• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Grandstand seats needed at the National Stadium

More Grandstand seats needed at the National Stadium
    ON THE SPORTING EDGE
    Paul Reid
    Thursday, April 07, 2011

TICKETS for the Grandstand for the last two days of last week's ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls' Athletics Championships at the National Stadium were among the hottest items.
    For the past six years or so, demand for tickets at Champs — especially the final two days — has far outstripped supply. It has caused angry confrontations that have led to fights and accusations of unsavoury practices against those in charge.

As far back as a month before Champ, I received international and local calls beseeching my help to get tickets.
    Unfortunately, if any what little, influence I have, did not extend that far. For the most part, I tried my best to stay as far away from the ticket scenario as I could.
    We heard weeks before Champs that grandstand tickets for the last two days had been completely sold out.
    Given the scenario it was expected that Grandstand seats for both Friday and Saturday would be filled to capacity but that was not the case.
    There were lots of seats available on both Friday and Saturday and the 'touters' outside the stadium's main entrance were waving tickets and charging as high as $4500, more than twice the face value of the tickets.
    While ISSA admitted to deliberately underselling tickets for the bleachers on the last two days to try to minimise any possible incidents, it seems they have to go back to the drawing board where the fair and equitable distribution of Grandstand tickets are concerned.
    Among the possibilities that were discussed as to why there were so many empty seats, were that maybe some of those who were given complimentary tickets, including principals and sponsors, did not bother to show up.
    As to how so many tickets were still available to those who were illegally selling them is another matter, but I suspect that given the 'creativity' of us Jamaicans, it may be out of the hands of ISSA or even the police to try and curtail that activity.
    Getting Grandstand tickets for Champs has been a vexing issue for the past couple of years and short of building a new and bigger stadium, the authorities could start looking at ways of expanding the seating capacity in the Grandstand.
    I am no engineer and I am aware the KSAC warned recently that the over-40-year-old structure was badly in need of repair.
    Whatever the decision, it is obvious we have outgrown the Grandstand facility at the stadium.
    We notice the Chinese who are trying hard to get a foot in here have been building facilities all over the Caribbean -- the latest one being in the Bahamas. Maybe they could give us a nice 50,000-seater facility as a gift.
    We have the lands and, I am sure, the manpower to build it.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Don't you see where they (China) want to bring in their own workforce in Bahamas?
    Peter R

Comment

They also had some of their people at Trelawny as well and at the MoBay Convention centre, one of the reaonss os that somne ofnthe equipment they use is made in and for Chinese people and that caused some problems as they could not be in synch with the ones we use
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

I like the idea of a larger facility for a new stadium. Is it prudent to construct a larger stadium where it is likely to be at full capacity for only a few days of the year? Just a ask.... Also any thoughts on a location for a new stadium.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

that's my concern. i think perhaps we should consider putting some sort of a covering over the bleachers. is di hot sun people a run from.

then again, if that is done, they would have cut down the number of cheap seats and some others may have a problem with that.

not sure we need a bigger stadium if is only one day of the year we are concerned about demand. not even friday grandstand tix were sold out. saturday is the problem.

new stadium location? somewhere in portmore near the highway for easy entrance and egress.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

According to my Google Earth, there is a very large piece of land that runs roughly from the north edge of Portmore and is bordered on the northwest by Caymanas Golf Club.

There are two pieces of property, split by the Mandela Highway. An access road and bridge could be built from the Portmore Highway 2000 west across Hunts Bay.

Comment

Cover the seats man. The sun too hot, fi siddung in it whole day.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

My thinking is that they should create more seats in the grand stand area. You are the expert here tell us how.

One idea is to expand the Grand Stand by another 1500 seats and cut down on bleachers that is never ever full no matter how cheap the tickets are.

Or they could go another level upwards.

They also need to look at expanding the already claustrobically (new word?-LOL) small press area, the two rows are not even sufficient for Champs that had no serious influx of overseas press this year but wait till June when we have Trials, they place will be overflowing.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

That's where marketing comes in, there are so many things they can use a stadium for, yes it wont be full every single event but the one major event we have for the past five or six years so many people who would come can't get tickets
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

It would be a ridiculous waste of resources to construct a new stadium... very nice to have but the country bruk an have other pressing priorities unaddressed.

The current stadium can be improved with a little imagination.

1. If more covered seating is desirable...construct a cover for the bleachers section facing the grandstand...fence and improve the area with more amenities

2. If more seating is desirable...remove the velodrome which is absolutely a useless relic at the moment (although cyclists will quarrel) and use that space to install additional seating...we should be able to get another 5000-8000 seats easy

3. Buttress the grandstand roof with support beams an mek sure it nuh drop and renovate/upgrade the amenities there

Spend say US$10m - $15m to improve & expand the stadium versus $80m - $100m to replace it.... plus build full service mini stadia (like Catherine Hall or smaller) in central and eastern JA fi anedda $10m or so... people in every region need access to good facilities more dan we need one mega stadium whey aggo fully utilized 1-3 times/year

Dem waan follow Babylon an tear dung stadium whey beautifully situated and perfectly functional

Joke ting
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Workable...given we have to pay for it. However, if the Chinese want to give a gift, who am I to say no? LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                        Workable...given we have to pay for it. However, if the Chinese want to give a gift, who am I to say no? LoL
                        yes tell dem no.... dem fi build & equip more school fi dat deh breed ah money whey new stadium wudda cost

Value investing mi muss start deal wid...nuh lickylicky sintin
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                        X