• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To win or to develop?

To win or to develop?
    ON THE SPORTING EDGE
    PAUL REID
    Thursday, April 28, 2011

DURING the half-time break at the recent launch of the ISSA/Western Conference Under-14 boys' basketball league at the Montego Bay Cricket Club, officials and coaches of Cornwall College and Muschett High debated the rules.
    The rules of the Under-14 competition are taken from the Minor League. Under that system all teams should have 12 players, but no player should play three straight quarters and all 12 players must take part in the game once they are named on the list. Additionally there can be no substitution, outside of an injury, during the first or second quarters. Teams can, however, make changes between the first and second quarters and through the third and fourth.
    There appeared to be some confusion among the officials and coaches as they sought to interpret the rules with some sugesting they were contradictory.
    The coaches and officials appeared to be thinking along the lines of how best to win while it was obvious that the rules were put in with a view to the development of all the players on the team.
    It means that coaches must use all the players they have on the team, no matter how good or bad they are and bad coaches who can only see wins at the end of the day as a good result are prevented from overusing the youngsters.
    It was obvious that the Muschett coach was not aware of the rules. Muschett dominated the first half, outscoring Cornwall 23-10, but they had used their best players who then had to sit out the entire third quarter. They were outscored 25-4 in the second half.
    In most developed countries or in situations where the welfare of the young athletes are put ahead of everything else, such rules are not just established but also strictly enforced.
    The thinking is that at that age group, the emphasis must be about the children learning and enjoying the sport and not necessarily about winning at all cost.
    Maybe it is time that all our national sporting bodies make sure such rules are enforced for all competitions played by youngsters under 14 years old.
    Too often we see abuses where the better players get to start and play the majority of the games all season long, be it football, cricket or netball while those not yet as developed are kept on the bench.
    Years ago I asked the organisers of the St James FA VMBS Under-13 competition if they had thought of putting in such a rule but got some vague non-committal response.
    In too many instances, winning at this level is promoted way above actual teaching of the game and ensuring that children are enjoying themselves.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...#ixzz1L0mtuwn5
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Sickko - good suggestion...especially for schoolboy(and girls) football...in the high school system in Florida players can sub in and out...resting and not overworking players also giving others a chance to play....I also noticed there was a mandatory water break...as well as half time....
    For cricket it may be more difficult but surely additional subs for fielding etc. could be used...a designated hitter??

Comment

I remember our argument about youth coaches winning. Right now I am coaching my youth team U5. I have 2 good players and some who stop to look at the ground or any plane that passes. We use six players at a time. I currently only use offense and defense, not any other position and I rotate the keeper as I want them to get a love for the game.

There are few games I could have won and it is temping to beat some of these teams by playing my best players in positions where they could score but I think it is best if I see their strenght and weakness and allow them to develop natural.

I some cases some of the coaches put some of the worst players or people who never played wide on wing and they just stand there but I want all my team to be a part of the game at that age.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You have to mix it....teams like to win as well...helps with morale, output and the love of the game...I remember coaching some youths years ago in FL and the team was built around 3 players really...two talented, skillful and eager to learn kids (2nd generation - South American)..and a youth who marshalled defence as a classical stopper....sub in sub out...everybody played....had smallest kids in league but won it....using set plays and ball possession and heart and soul....a good bunch..lost contact with them but sure some are playing at a high level....good grounding in the basics.....lol.

Comment

a nuh suh mi hear it... mi hear seh is only MILF pickney yu give game... a true? LOL
          Peter R

Comment

Shame on you! To even suggest such a motive. Mine mi expose yu Coach....every Sunday? Yu get nuff points fi dat still....ahhh...thats why mi retire when mi see the average age going up....lol....

Comment

Not bad for an unlettered scribe huh?
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

LOL! od one
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                X