Beckles Should Resign, Says WIPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckles Should Resign, Says WIPA

The West Indies Players' Association (WIPA) has written to the chancellor and vice chancellor of the University of the West Indies (UWI) condemning remarks made by West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) director and principal of the UWI's Cave Hill campus, Professor Hilary Beckles.

WIPA said Beckles unfairly compared former West Indies captain Christopher Gayle to Christopher 'Dudus' Coke, a Jamaican strongman who is said to wielded extraordinary powers in the country.

The players' association has asked for an investigation by the UWI since Beckles is principal of the Cave Hill campus in Barbados and is involved with several cricket-related activities within the UWI, including considerable responsibility for the High-Performance Centre and the Combined Campuses and Colleges Cricket team.

In its letter to the UWI, WIPA referred to an excerpt from a public statement made by Beckles on the subject, 'Frank Worrell: The Rise and Fall of West Indies Cricket'.

"Frank Worrell is the Father of the Nation, Sobers is the King of Cricket, Clive Lloyd is the Statesman, Richards is the General of the Army, Brian Lara is the Prince, and Chris Gayle is the Don," Beckles said.

He added: "And these are very interesting images indeed because the movement from the father to the don and, and those who follow him and his cohort in the team do relate to him as their don. And he has brought, it is said, the donmanship into how 'tings' operate in the team, and what the West Indies Board is trying to do at the moment is to uproot this donmanship out of the culture in much the same way that the Jamaican people are trying to uproot Dudus from their politics. ... This West Indies Under-19 team is some interesting collection of very smart and bright young men and there is a different quality of personality at the moment. They do not wish to be like Chris Gayle, they do not wish to be like am, ah, Marlon Samuels ... ."

In its letter to the board of directors of the West Indies Cricket Board, WIPA called for the immediate resignation or expulsion of Beckles from the WICB and any further dealings with West Indies cricket.

tremendous damage

This WIPA letter also indicted that the "organisation and its members would find it difficult to have any confidence in a person who appears blatantly prejudiced against some of the players and who, because he is both a WICB director and principal of one of our regional university campuses, is in a position to make decisions that affect their livelihood and their ability to represent their countries and region.

"We are convinced that his remarks about Mr Gayle could do tremendous damage to Mr Gayle's reputation and future relationships with members of the Jamaica and West Indies teams," WIPA said.

A third letter has been sent by WIPA to the chairman of the heads of government, Tillman Thomas, prime minister of Grenada.

In that letter, WIPA briefed the prime minister on the statements made by Beckles and added: "These remarks about Gayle and Samuels by Beckles must be seen within the context of the ongoing deterioration and destruction of the West Indies cricket brand and reputation. We know that you love the game and understand that it is the glue that binds our people together, whether they are here in the region or in the diaspora.

"West Indies cricket is coming unstuck and only those who represent the people of the region can put it together again and create a permanent solution to the divisions that are now painfully apparent and which will inevitably, sooner rather than later, break West Indies cricket apart."

On this one the WIPA is bang on. We all make foolish mistakes at one time or the other...but Beckles' comments was 'past foolish'.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

indeed. it approaches the same xenophobia that saw the finger rape of the jamaican young lady by the authorities in Barbados...btw where is beckles from?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

This is what happens when yuh challenge di Don...

Since when Dons become unpopular ?

Is nuff man rispeck Don Corleone... dem all mek 3 movie and dem ah di hero innah di movie dem...

Comment

more like an "anti-hero" I would say...
          Peter R

Comment

ahh. now you are touching upon Beckles point...

Comment

Comment

it's an analogy that may have some merit. this is being blown way out of proportion!

i am sure an analogy could be made between Jesus and Hitler, but most of us will probably miss it and get our knickers twisted.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo, while Beckles could have meant "no harm " with a simple analogy as you characterise it, to a Don, he, Beckles made a direct comparison to Dudus... I think Beckles was out of order... and anyone who follows cricket and knows the history of cricket past knows that Gayle is NOT the person who introduced "donmanship" into cricket... loyalty to the captain has always been part of the intrinisic culture of cricket and to that extent a captain could always be considered a don.

If his analogy is to be carried out to its fullest extent, if Gayle is the Don, WICB is Bruce Golding and the JLP.
                  Peter R

Comment

Di man dyam renk.

Gayle was speech raped like Myers was finger raped.

Di Bajans a smell demselves.

Comment

Comment

Sir Hilary says 'don' comments misunderstood

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) — UWI Cave Hill principal Sir Hilary Beckles has defended his comments characterising Chris Gayle as a 'don', contending he was merely outlining a public perception that existed.

Sir Hilary was slammed by the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) over the comments, with the players union calling for his resignation as a West Indies Cricket Board director and for UWI to launch an investigation.

The Caribbean intellectual said his comments, made during a lecture in St Kitts, had been an "assessment of the public images that surround some of our former captains from Sir Frank Worrell to present".

"I stated clearly that 'these are the images before us'. At no time did I say that I believe these images to be true," the Nation newspaper quoted Sir Hilary as saying in a statement.

"I insisted, however, as a social scientist that I have a duty to analyse these images, how they are constructed and how society reacts to them.

"I know that Sir Garry Sobers is not a king, Sir Vivian Richards a general, Brian Lara a prince or Chris Gayle a don because they are all fine professional cricketers whom I admire, but these metaphoric images are based on public observations and perception."

Speaking on the topic "Frank Worrell: The Rise And Fall Of West Indies Cricket", Sir Hilary said: "Frank Worrell is the father of the nation, Sobers is the King of cricket, Clive Lloyd is the statesman, Richards is the general of the army, Brian Lara is the prince, and Chris Gayle is the don."

"And these are very interesting images indeed because the movement from the father to the don and, and those who follow him and his cohort in the team do relate to him as their don, and he has brought it is said, the don-manship into how 'tings' operate in the team.

"And what the West Indies Board is trying to do at the moment is to uproot this don-manship out of the culture in much the same way that the Jamaican people are trying to uproot Dudus from their politics ... the comparisons are very interesting indeed."

WIPA blasted the comparison with the alleged Jamaican crime boss Christopher 'Dudus' Coke and said it had lost confidence in the UWI head.

Sir Hilary said, however, he actually admired Gayle who he considered an "amazing cricketer", and expressed disappointment that his comments had been "unethically edited and its contents manipulated to achieve an unpleasant special purpose".

"It saddens me that this manipulation and abuse of my academic work to meet ends clearly not intended are obviously designed to distract from the task at hand — that is, diagnosing the crisis in West Indies cricket and developing policies to fix it; also, seeking to assess how we as West Indians will treat with the issue of our cricketers rejecting the West Indies cricket team," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1MKlle141
                        Last edited by Karl; May 14, 2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Dont see what the big deal is. I doubt he is saying gayle is in charge of gun running and drugs. Insnt he simply referring to the way how the subordinates follow them and their ability to command the others, which is something the WICB (like the govt) is afraid of.

He could pick a comparison that is easier for people to digest, but i still don't see it as anything to be resigning over.

Comment

Resignation of Beckles for me is neither here nor there... however I have a problem with the continued perpetuation of the stereotype of Jamaicans as gun-toting, drug-dealing, homophobic, murderous, womanising people by the developed world, wussa yet, by our neighbours, some of whom are NO BETTER ( I live in T&T)...steeuupps
                            Peter R

Comment

He did not make a direct comparison to Dudus...

Comment

Working...
                              X