No announcement yet.

Shameful decision, JCA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do agree that it would have been much better if he had apologized publicly long before the award, but I don't know if that necessarily means he didn't want to do it earlier. It could just be that the opportunity presented itself before the cricket fans at this time.

As Gamma said, he could have taken the award and said nothing if he still thought he did nothing wrong. I don't think that would have been better than giving the apology now.

The award is an issue that I believe reasonable people can disagree on though.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

it's just that Baddaz says, "their decision to go to sa, interacted with and played against the whites did more good than bad..."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

maybe in hindsight there is some of that. BUT it does not change my opinion that they should not have gone. looking it now, did it do more good than bad? not for the players. for south africa, it's probably hard to tell.

it may have prompted them to want to get back into the test arena and it did provide black south africans with a chance to see a black team beat up the all white south african teams ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          I do agree that it would have been much better if he had apologized publicly long before the award, but I don't know if that necessarily means he didn't want to do it earlier. It could just be that the opportunity presented itself before the cricket fans at this time.

As Gamma said, he could have taken the award and said nothing if he still thought he did nothing wrong. I don't think that would have been better than giving the apology now.

The award is an issue that I believe reasonable people can disagree on though.
          Good chat, boss
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

mo, that was not all baddaz said (third person)... hindsight and additional information about the tours, suggests, is vitally important to add context to the statement...

at the time i was a big yagga fan and i was a placard bearing participant in anti-apartheid demonstrations at uwi with my uncles... if i look hard enough i may still find a booklet called 'lawrence rowe, a touch of class'... i was at sabina when yagga hit double century and 100 not out on his wi debut... i was crushed when he went to sa... danny germs was my neighborhood hero... truss mi, i destested their decision for many reasons...

when i said hindsight and additional info, i later understood that there were many things we were not being told about the happenings on the tour... apart from the anti-apartheid demonstrations and the support for boycotts, which helped to bring down sa apartheid policy, we the people were being used as pawns in a propaganda war by both anti and pro apartheid stakeholders...

i learnt a lot about what was happening from a black south african professor and i began to put things in perspective...

the white extremists did not want the world to see the black cricketers defeat the white 'supreme cricketers', which did happen and they fed negative stories to the anti-apartheid supporters to have them turn against their black who had proven themselves to be just as good or better than the whites...

the white extremists did not want any black to demonstrate success because it would only serve to empower the oppressed blacks... we were not being provided any information about what was happening on that tour and the effect it had on the black people... all that needs to be considered and placed into perspective...

it is instructive to speak to black and sympathetic whites who were present in sa at the time to really understand the situation and how they felt about the west indies 'rebel' tour... even the 'rebel' was a deliberately used to further an agenda...

however, i have my view and you will have yours... nuh cup nuh bruk nuh coffee nuh spill...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Thanks Baddaz. Respek bredrin.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

just wanted you to explain how it probably did more good than bad.

thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X