• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott clears air on Daegu no-show

Sport
    Scott clears air on Daegu no-show
    BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com

Friday, August 26, 2011

A clash between the start of a new job and the date to reach the Jamaica pre-competition camp in Gyeonasan forced him to miss the 13th IAAF World Championships that will get underway this evening Jamaican time in Daegu, South Korea, many times national champion and National Record holder Dorian Scott said yesterday.

Scott, who told the Observer he will take up the post of throws coach and director of operations at San Diego State University (SDSU) in California, said his request to arrive later in Daegu was flatly turned down by the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) and thus he felt he had no choice.

SCOTT... request to arrive late in Daegu turned down by JAAA

SCOTT... request to arrive late in Daegu turned down by JAAA 1/1

SDSU only has a female track team and competes in the NCAA Division 1 where former Vere Technical sprinter Shanieka Thomas is a student.

In a telephone interview from his Tallahassee, Florida base yesterday, Scott, who holds the national record at 21.45 metres, told the Observer he was "disappointed" he would not get the chance to compete at the World Championships as his "training had been going well. This is the best I have felt since I came back from injury".

However, he quickly added that he was preparing for his life after track and field and "coaching is where I always wanted to go into and I have to look to the future," adding that he was "excited" by the chance to coach at this level.

"The ideal would be to compete at Worlds and then come back to my job," he said, adding that he had gotten permission from his boss, SDSU head coach Shelia Burrell, a two-time Olympian in the heptathlon, to go to Daegu.

"My complete intention was to go to Worlds and Coach Burrell was OK with that," he said.

He said he accepted the job on August 17 and the date to arrive in Daegu was the 18th and he would not be able to do everything he had to in that time, hence the request for extra time.

Scott, who won successive silver medals at the last two Commonwealth Games, told the Observer he had earlier requested time and had emailed the JAAA in the first week of August asking to be allowed to arrive later, especially as he would not start competing until September 1 in the preliminary rounds.

In addition to putting things in place and making the move across the country, Scott said the only way he could get everything done was to get the flight pushed back.

The Florida State University graduate pointed out that he never drew a salary from competing in shot put and said he needed to think about his future security, especially when it was time to start thinking of marriage and starting a family.

"My throwing career has been awesome," he stated, "but it has not been as financially rewarding as some people think it is." He pointed out that he had no insurance or security blanket to fall back on.

He said he had spoken to a number of his colleagues, including sprint hurdler Dwight Thomas and intermediate hurdler Danny McFarlane, two of his closest friends on the national team.

Scott was full of praise for the young Jamaican throwers who have been making strides in the past few years, describing their success as "awesome."

With Fedric Dacres winning a World Youth Championships title and Ashinia Miller and Traves Smikle both winning regional titles at the Carifta and Pan American Junior Games, he said he hoped the track and field authorities would start paying more attention to the throwing events.

He urged them to continue pushing and said they should use the opportunity to get scholarships and to travel and see the world.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1W9oxQ64A
    Last edited by Karl; August 26, 2011, 02:04 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

I wonder what is the JAAA's take?

If this report is correct, why was it not feasible to grant the later reporting to the team?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What does he mean "(he) would not be able to do everything he had to in that time..."? Couldn't he take care of that after returning from Daegu?

Comment

We still haven't been told why he would have to report late. SDSU granted him the leave...his desire to "do everything he had to..." before leaving is the problem...

Comment

Brick arent you being too harsh ? If the SDSU can grant him time why cant the JAAA?Considering nuh money inna dat field event ..kiss teeth.

I guess it has to be a death in the family or some other catastophic issue for the JAAA to give a man a bly.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Power.

Comment

Especially as others were allowed to turn up late some as late as the last two days of camp at that...
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Why does he have to show up late? SDSU gave him the time off...

Comment

Three sides to every story. We have heard one so far.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                  X