Man dies during Montreal Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man dies during Montreal Marathon

A 30-year-old man died after being rushed to a hospital following his collapse during the Montreal Marathon on Sunday.

Officials blamed an unusually humid morning for the man's likely heart attack during the 21st running of the annual event, CTV reported.

The weather topped 75 degrees Fahrenheit on Sunday.

The man was running the half-marathon -- which is 13 miles long -- when he collapsed. He was about one mile from the finish line.

He was taken to a hospital after emergency personnel performed CPR on him. Officials said the runner wasn't breathing when they reached him.

Health experts believe the heart can suffer short-term damage during a lengthy run.

More than 24,000 people took part in the event, which included a 26-mile marathon, 13-mile half-marathon and a six-mile fun run.

Between 30 and 40 participants were treated for injuries, mostly cramps and dehydration, with 15 transported to local hospitals, The Montreal Gazette reported.

The marathon was won by Kenyan Luka Kipkemboi Chelimo, in a record time for the event of two hours, 13 minutes, 44.5 seconds.

"Between 30 and 40 participants were treated for injuries, mostly cramps and dehydration, with 15 transported to local hospitals, The Montreal Gazette reported".

Few years ago, I was running a 10K. I wanted to finish in under 50 minutes. I ignored several water points during the race.

I could see the finish line ...with < 1/2 mile to go.

Next thing I know paramedics were over me. I was rushed to the local hospital with very severe dehydration....

On another note: Patrick Makau SMACHED the world record in the marathon!!!!!.

HERE:

Berlin Marathon men's 2011 results: Makau sets world record ...
    Examiner.com - 1 day ago

Defending champ Patrick Makau of Kenya won the 2011 BMW Berlin Marathon Sunday morning in 2:03:38, a pending world record. ...
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
    X