• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England v WI 2nd test

Windies will be blown away if Anderson and Co pitch it right

By NASSER HUSSAIN
    PUBLISHED: 22:00, 24 May 2012 | UPDATED: 23:39, 24 May 2012

When I played at Trent Bridge there were two very different, distinctive types of pitches — very green ones for county matches to suit the Notts attack and very flat ones for Test cricket.
    I scored a century against India there in 1996 but in truth you would have had to be a very bad batsman not to score runs on that particular pitch. It was an absolute belter.
    But I also broke two fingers there, and even though that was not unusual with my poppadum fingers, it showed that batting could be difficult in Nottingham. Then, all of a sudden towards the end of my career, the ball started hopping round corners at Trent Bridge.

In the swing: James Anderson celebrates taking the wicket of Denesh Ramdin at Lord's - and he looks set to shine in the second Test at Trent Bridge
    Since the ball has started swinging at this ground, Jimmy Anderson has been absolutely phenomenal there. This really is a fortress for England now because Stuart Broad and Tim Bresnan perform well there too, as we saw with both men last year.
    England were undoubtedly helped last year by using the 2010 batch of Duke balls, which seemed to swing for 90 overs. But they have all gone now and it was noticeable at Lord’s that the 2012 version went soft after something like 30 overs and England kept on badgering the umpires trying to get it changed. It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens at Trent Bridge.
    Anderson still got plenty of swing on the first day at Lord’s but when West Indies bowled on the second day the ball rarely moved off the straight and narrow, even though, in Fidel Edwards, they have a bowler in their ranks who usually swings the ball.
    Some said the wind direction had changed, others pointed to the vagaries of this most imprecise of cricketing sciences, but the bottom line is that the skill of the bowler is the most important factor in getting the ball to move through the air.

Home comforts: Stuart Broad took eight Indian wickets - including a hat-trick - at Trent Bridge last summer

And no-one is a more skilful swing bowler than Anderson. He once got me lbw with an inswinger that hit me on the toe at Old Trafford when I didn’t know which way the ball would swing.
    And that was early in his career — he is a much more complete bowler now.
    The way Anderson can move the ball out and then in with a minimal change of action is quite something, and he has added the wobble seam delivery now which goes straight on so the batsman is never quite sure what is coming next.
    One of the things that used to annoy me during my time was the feeling of resignation that often gripped batsmen when the ball was swinging. They would shake their heads as if they couldn’t do anything about it.

Keeping the faith: Tim Bresnan, who won all of the 12 Tests he has played it, should get the nod

Well, part of the art of batting is to try to combat the swinging ball and you have to say that this West Indies team are not the best at dealing with it. In the Caribbean, with their abrasive outfields, the ball usually stops swinging after five overs so it is not something they have to deal with too often at home. They are likely to struggle at Trent Bridge.
    That’s why I really fancy England in this second Investec Test.
    They were only at around 80 per cent with the ball at Lord’s and if they are anything like their best they will have too much for the West Indies, particularly their inexperienced top three.
    I would stick with Bresnan if conditions again look conducive to swing today. But occasionally at Trent Bridge the pitches can start a little too dry and if that happens, and they crack and then go up and down, Steven Finn would be the man for me.
    Whichever attack England choose they will be firm favourites to go two up and win the series. Especially if they get in the swing

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...#ixzz1vrdRJD16

Sammy forced to defend place in team:-

For a man whose position and status are being questioned daily, Darren Sammy was remarkably poised yesterday. West Indies have won only two of the 17 Test matches when he has been captain and that figure does not seem about to rise to three in the 18th.

It is not simply that his captaincy is doubted but that his place in the team seems so precarious. He is likely to be the third seamer in a four-man attack in the second Test against England, which starts today, leaving speed merchant Fidel Edwards kicking his heels. The latest man to join the debate was the great former fast bowler, Michael Holding, who questioned Sammy's place and the methods of the coach, Ottis Gibson.

Sammy seemed resigned to the question. "I think ever since I've been captain, people have been saying this," he said. "I try and do the best I can for West Indies. Everybody has an opinion and I respect that. I tend not to read the papers. [Holding] has his own views on West Indies cricket and so does everybody. Coach Gibson and myself are trying to build something for the future here. Everybody might not like it but the team has been responding in the last few series we've played. People are free to talk, it's a free country."

Together, Sammy and Gibson have tried to change the culture of the dressing room, which had become entrenched in the past few years. But they are aware that time may be running out for them. "He came on board with a whole new idea – determination, working hard for yourself and the team, fitness," said Sammy. "He wanted to play a brand of cricket where fans could see the determination and passion and see us competing against higher-ranked teams. So far we've been able to do that. He's made it known this West Indies team is a hard-working team."

But they need to win soon against plausible opponents and only the record of previous tourists is on their side this week. West Indies have never lost a first-class match in Nottingham, which includes eight Tests, although that record was rather debunked by Andrew Strauss who pointed out that England had not beaten Australia at Lord's since 1934 – until they did so in 2009.

West Indies will probably make two changes. Ravi Rampaul will replace Fidel Edwards and the off-spinner Shane Shillingford will come in for the injured fast bowler, Shannon Gabriel. No combination is likely to work.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/c...m-7786085.html
    Last edited by Karl; May 27, 2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

The top order does their usual trick and Shiv got the English bowlers rattled!!

Comment

And meanwhile a man whose Test average is over 50 (as an opener?) since 2008 (if I am to believe what I read elsewhere even minus a 300+score) sits and waits...
        Peter R

Comment

When yuh play dis game and watch Sammy contribution to di team as a cricketer himself, him selection jus doan mek no sense. Him batting contribution non existent and him is a stop bowler wid him seamers dem, derefore what him duh pan di field fi lead as a captain is eidah him is a reliable and determine bat or him swing seamers effective, an mi nuh si neighdah ah dis in him game.

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
            When yuh play dis game and watch Sammy contribution to di team as a cricketer himself, him selection jus doan mek no sense. Him batting contribution non existent and him is a stop bowler wid him seamers dem, derefore what him duh pan di field fi lead as a captain is eidah him is a reliable and determine bat or him swing seamers effective, an mi nuh si neighdah ah dis in him game.
            Well Chanderpaul gone cheaply so we need a century from the skipper today.

Comment

that WILL NOT happen batting (hiding) at number 8.
              Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                that WILL NOT happen batting (hiding) at number 8.
                Nice day, the ball is a lot older so it is a lot easier to bat now, why not? He needs to prove is worth.

Comment

cheaply? 40 odd?

suh what yuh would seh about barath or edwards?

here we are again and it is NOT doing the youngsters any good. this will MASH up dem psyche and quell the "fighting spirit".

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Exactly what i've been saying, these young cricketers have potential but they are just thrown in at the deepend, crazy really.

Comment

True dat, true dat, now wi need a true gritty captain's knock

Comment

dunny, 46 is not cheap... the inept top order needs to contribute... shiv can only do so much... sammy needs to play a captains role and stay with marlon... he needs to give marlon the confidence that he is going to dig in and stay so marlon can make the runs... sammy approaching this like it's t20... this situation requires time at the crease... runs will come if your are the wicket... seems marlon is the only one following chanders example...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

it is below his average.. Chanderpaul need to duh bettah..

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                            dunny, 46 is not cheap... the inept top order needs to contribute... shiv can only do so much... sammy needs to play a captains role and stay with marlon... he needs to give marlon the confidence that he is going to dig in and stay so marlon can make the runs... sammy approaching this like it's t20... this situation requires time at the crease... runs will come if your are the wicket... seems marlon is the only one following chanders example...
                            You are right, but to Shiv's standard it is cheap!!

Comment

Now that is what we talking bout, an excellent knock from Samuels. Patience,concentration and skill.

Comment

Working...
                              X