TDowl: A Simple Music Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDowl: A Simple Music Question

I noticed that on the forum next door you dedicated a Manu Dibango Recording to the late drummer Hal Jackson. Now, we both know that Hal Jackson was an invaluable part of that Stax Recording Studio 1960s session (and ultimately hit-making) quartet, Booker T and the MGs.

But what on earth does the great drummer Hal Jackson have to do with Manu Dibango? This is a genuine need-to-know question, boss.

By the way, I enjoyed every one of those YouTube videos you posted, including the late King Curtis himself! Jerry Jemmott was a crazy dude even back in those days, and today I tell people that the only bass player that has been more influential in R&B is Motown legend, the late James Jamerson (Jamerson is credited as playing on approximately 95 percent of all Motown hits, including the Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Diana Ross & the Supremes, the Temptations, the Four Tops, etc.)!!

Today’s bass masters like Andrew Gouchie (an incredibly outstanding musician I was fortunate to have met in Jamaica back in around 1983 when he played bass at that Andrae Crouch concert held at the Ranny Williams Center) certainly owe a lot to pathfinders like Jemmott! Thanks also for the Bernard Purdie memories!

Cornell Dupree has to be among the most talented blues guitarists that ever entered a recording studio! I have always rated him over studio masters like the late Eric Gayle. Just check out Dupree’s extended blues solo, for example, on the 1970s recording of “Help Me Make It Through the Night” by alto saxophonist Hank Crawford (a Gladys Knight hit).

Truman Thomas, interestingly, never became a really big name, and neither did percussionist Warren Smith.

TDowl, in my opinion, your greatest success today was in having that always-angry female poster LoveJam posting something positive (for the first time ever!) about her adopted country! Great work, TDowl the real boss!

(Lol, I see you also have Chanta posting stuff by Led Zeppelin! Now I will believe anything!)

Oops, Wrong Forum!

Lol. I hope that a quick-thinking moderator will move this post upstairs, where it rightly belongs.

Comment

"Manu Dibango Recording to the late drummer Hal Jackson" Why are you tickling me LOL, I am such a moody person, so I just threw in that Reggae version, only you could have catch that.

The great Hal Jackson was a Jazz and R&B man, every New Yorker should know that, a number of first to his resume.

There is a Tedd Prendergast song when he was in the group that I can't remember I would have played, I will put together a play list for Hal soon.

Thanks for some bio info on the musicians, and on LoveJam, I realy have a way with women DWLROTF...

Comment

Working...
      X