X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLEDMAN Clocks 9.86 to win National 100m - Trinidad

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com

Story Updated: Jun 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM ECT
    Keston Bledman won his first senior national sprint title in style, bolting to victory in a personal best 9.86 seconds at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, late yesterday.

At the halfway mark, "Blazing Bledman" was in charge, motoring to the line for a commanding victory in the NAAA Sagicor/NGC National Open Track and Field Championship men's 100 metres final.

Richard "Torpedo" Thompson did not achieve his beaver-trick goal, but had the satisfaction of getting home in an impressive 9.96 seconds to seize silver.

Rondel Sorrillo clocked a new personal record (PR), 10.03, to claim bronze, ahead of Marc Burns (10.06), Emmanuel Callender (10.12), Jamol James (10.17), Darrel Brown (10.27) and Aaron Armstrong (10.51).

Bledman had sounded a warning ahead of the final with a speedy victory in the second semifinal, clocking 10.04 seconds to beat Sorrillo (10.11) into second spot.

After the championship race, Bledman told the Sunday Express he is extremely satisfied with his performance.

"I'm just thanking the Lord for coming out injury free. I'm very, very, very happy with the time. My fans came so I had to give them a show.
    "No disrespect to (Usain) Bolt, (Yohan) Blake, my training Tyson Gay, but when I go to the Olympics, I'm going to win. I ain't going there to play around. I have at least 9.7 in me."

Bledman is now joint-second on the all-time Trinidad and Tobago performance list, with quadruple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon. Thompson is in the number one spot with his 9.85 seconds national record.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste whipped the T&T young brigade in the women's 100m final. The World Championship bronze medallist separated herself from the field early in the race, and by the halfway stage was in full control. Baptiste went on to win in 10.98 seconds, finishing well ahead of Semoy Hackett, the silver medallist in 11.14, Kai Selvon (11.24) and Michelle-Lee Ahye (11.29).

A strong finish from Lalonde Gordon earned the 23-year-old athlete gold in the men's 400m. Gordon clocked 45.40 seconds to grab the title from Renny Quow, the 2011 champion finishing second in 45.60. Third spot went to 19-year-old Deon Lendore (45.74).

Jarrin Solomon (45.88) copped fourth spot, and 17-year-old Machel Cedenio finished fifth in a personal best 46.02 seconds--a new national youth (under-18) record.

Lendore, in lane three, made the early running in the one-lap final, quickly making up the stagger on Quow, in four. But Quow stepped up a gear in the second half of the race, catching Lendore about 60 metres from home.
    Gordon, though, was strongest in the dying stages, surging past the pair and thrusting an arm in the air to celebrate his first national title.

Sparkle McKnight produced a superb run in the women's 400m final, winning in a Championship record 52.44 seconds, from Shawna Fermin (53.39) and Alena Brooks (54.27).

The first champion crowned on the track yesterday was Josanne Lucas. The Tobago athlete stormed to victory in the women's 100m hurdles, stopping the clock at 13.07 seconds to beat Aleesha Barber (13.30) into second spot.

Lucas' clocking equalled the Championship record established by Barber in 2008.

Wayne Davis II emerged as men's 110m hurdles champion, the American-born T&T athlete getting to the line in 13.62 seconds.

Ayanna Alexander captured her seventh straight women's triple jump title with a 14.04 metres effort--a new Championship record.

There was also a Championship record for Annie Alexander. She won her eighth women's discus title with a big 56.54m throw.

The Championships continue from 10 a.m. today with men's 200m heats. The second session starts at 2.30 p.m.

DAY 1 RESULTS
    Men's 100m (wind: +1.4)
    1 Keston Bledman (Simplex) 9.86
    2 Richard Thompson (Rebirth) 9.96
    3 Rondel Sorrillo (La Brea Athletics) 10.03
    Women's 100m (wind: +0.6)
    1 Kelly-Ann Baptiste (Zenith) 10.98
    2 Semoy Hackett (Zenith) 11.14
    3 Kai Selvon (Air Bon Sonics) 11.24
    Last edited by Karl; June 26, 2012, 12:20 PM.

kmt.....journey man...............lol

Comment

Fast times all around. Looks like no individual medal for Asafa.....
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

What are the wind readings..

Comment

Hahahahahahahaah

Comedy this!

The last major Asafa run he got bronze...

Cant come less that 2nd at Trials.

All who huh name Bolt, hold unno cahnah!

Comment

rhatid.. man guh all in...

Possum ketch summaddy !

Comment

The wind was +1.4 m/s.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

So hold on, yuh expecting a quinella plus 1?

Comment

why u believe in Sofa suh?

Comment

if you run the wind readings 'all around' you will get a better reading on where Asafa stands... (USA was +1.8 which translate Gatlin to 9.9 for example)

Comment

Trifecta mi seh.

A new brrom we ah use fi clean sweep.

Blake behind Asafa now. Safa just need to keep him head straight and silver sure.

Comment

Wait, U naah read mi post dem?

Yuh nuh see mi prips U with an insider assessment?
                        Ah nuh MVP prips dat, U know. MVP man nuh waan seh nutten, dem just a laff when mi tell dem what mi hear.

Mi can tell U seh Shelly is a lock and is She and VC aggo run tings in the 200m.

Comment

How confident do you feel about the women 100, 200 & 4x100 relays?

Comment

after how much let down?!! yuh start to sound like X and him annual liverpool predictions!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Blake behind Asafa ???

where yuh read dat ?

Comment

Working...
                              X