Dwain Chambers omitted from 100m for European Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwain Chambers omitted from 100m for European Championships

Dwain Chambers has not been selected to compete in the 100m at the European Athletics Championships in Helsinki.

At the UK Olympic trials it was said Chambers needed to run the 'A' qualification time before 1 July to confirm his London 2012 selection.
    It is unclear exactly what his European omission means for his Olympic hopes.

Chambers became eligible for next month's Games after the British Olympic Association's policy of lifetime bans for drug cheats was overturned.

Harry Aikines-Aryeetey and Mark Lewis-Francis will represent Great Britain in the European Championships in Finland. Chambers has been selected in the team of six for the 4x100m relay.

At the weekend's Aviva 2012 Trials in Birmingham Chambers won the 100m. But his time of 10.25 seconds was seven hundredths of a second outside the 'A' qualification time he is said to require.

Former world youth 100m champion Aryeetey, 23, finished seventh in the trials with a time of 10.47s, while Commonwealth and European silver medallist Lewis-Francis, 29, was sixth with 10.44s.

After the trials Chambers said: "I would like to be selected outright. If there's a way the selectors can look on my history I will gladly take that opportunity, but hopefully I am able to secure the qualifier in Helsinki."
    Elsewhere, 5,000m world champion Mo Farah has been selected in that event for the European Championships. 2009 World Championships 800m bronze medallist Jenny Meadows, who missed the trials through injury, is picked.

Abi Oyepitan, who withdrew from the 100m trials final at the last minute is in for the 200m. High-jumper Robbie Grabarz, who recorded the highest outdoor jump of the year with 2.33m at May's Diamond League meeting in Rome, is selected.

so, england will not have anyone in the 100m? if he WON and the time is below the standard, what does that say of the rest of them?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

...just a bad day at the races....other one have qualifying time already...

Comment

Working...
      X