Bolt Not Done Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt Not Done Yet

Yohan Blake set the world alight on Friday night when he ran a world leading 9.75seconds to win the 100 metres at the National Championships being held to help select Jamaica’s team to the Olympic Games this summer. Blake beat reigning Olympic champion Usain Bolt by more than a tenth of second and in doing so validated his win in Daegu last year, set a new stadium record and threw his hat into the ring as a serious contender for the Olympic 100 metres title.

Following the race you could feel the weight lift of the Bolt bandwagon and shift over to Blake’s. From a national perspective it is wonderful to have four men from Jamaica who have run under 9.80 seconds but don’t feel like Bolt’s reign as the fastest man in history is about to end anytime soon.

From the days when he was St. Jago High everybody knew that Yohan Blake was a special talent. It was during that time that he set a national junior record of 10.11 that still stands. Over the past three years Blake has trained with arguably the best sprint coach in the world, Glen Mills. Mills, who guided a teenage schoolboy to the Olympic finals in 1984 and one Usain Bolt to gold in the sprint double in Beijing and then to world titles in Berlin and Daegu, knows a thing or two about creating great sprinters.

Blake has watched Bolt become a global superstar knowing his time would come soon enough. That day arrived in August last year at the World Championships in South Korea when following Bolt’s false start, Blake grabbed the opportunity with both hands. As world champion Blake has yet to lose and when he took the national title on Friday night, the man he dethroned just happened to be the man he looked up to for the last three years.

However, Bolt is quite done yet. What people fail to realize is that Bolt, who has been struggling with his start for the past couple years, basically stood up in the blocks and then chased down a 9.7 sprinter. How many men in the world could have done that? Once Bolt gets his start back on track he will be back to being the fastest man who ever lived. Blake is fast now, only three men have ever run faster – Bolt, Gay, Powell but until Blake gets below 9.58
    Bolt still holds the crown as the fastest man who ever lived. Once he gets his start back in working order he will be as hard. Yes, the pack may have come a little closer in the past two years, but everyone knows that once Bolt is ready he is still the one and only king.

Source:http://gleanerblogs.com/sports/?p=1340
    Last edited by Karl; July 3, 2012, 07:04 PM.

What about the 200m ?

Comment

everyone knows that once Bolt is ready he is still the one and only king
      ...so the question is , will he be ready in a few weeks.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Dat is di revealing pint, 'him walk outah di blocks an run 9.83 ' dat is di scary part. I nevah seen no athlete perform suh poorly inna ah race an run sub 10, plus him form was none existent. One ah di ugliest run from ah athlete ah evah did see.

Comment

man nuh dead nuh call him duppy .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Respect, Boss!

Originally posted by myYout View Post
            Dat is di revealing pint, 'him walk outah di blocks an run 9.83 ' dat is di scary part. I nevah seen no athlete perform suh poorly inna ah race an run sub 10, plus him form was none existent. One ah di ugliest run from ah athlete ah evah did see.
            Much respect for the point you’ve made here, myYout! I love it partially because I agree with you 100 percent, and partially because what you said above made a great deal of sense. What you saw is exactly what I saw as well.

Beyond the Bolt vs. Blake debate, however, is the fact that they are both Jamaican-born athletes, raised and trained (every inch of the way) in Jamaica. This Jamaicanness, to me, is extremely important, and why I have refrained from making any comments on this rivalry between the two superstars.

Now, all I pray for is a fully healthy Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake and Asafa Powell.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Same theory holds...plus Bolt needs to regain his strength.
                In the 200 Bolt got up later than Blake ran by him on the turn and then could not hold on (i.e. Bolt faded & lost form...Blake held his form and ran by Bolt in the straight).

It would surprise me if Bolt improves to the extent that he defeats Blake in both race. ...btw - JA to reap 2 medals in each. Gold and Silver in 100M and 200M Blake and bolt remaining injury free.

Asafa is my dark horse. He looks to be just about thereabouts to take the 100M. Hey he led to at least 70M...it is just relaxing and maintaining and he runs 9.70or less...if he reports in the right frame of mind then it could be Gold, Silver, Bronze and I will not state the order how our men end that race.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

mi nah call him duppy still, but di run did jus ugly bad, an him still run 9.83, dat tell di whole story of di post.

Comment

You don't think that late start in the semis played on his mind? I think he is going through a mental thing right now. As you say he actually fought through the race not getting his technique right at no stage.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Him walk outah di blocks inna all three rounds, suh sump'n definitely not right deh suh simple. Man tell mi a ting but yuh couldah si dat, an due to seh mi participate inna di running ting an touch a likkle chevron deh inna dem time, it obvious. Him form terrible kah it seem like him not even duh no speed work or condition lead up to dis ting. Him ah run offah him strength work an di conditioning him get prior to Europe. A 3-4 wks a fire conditioning an speed work him ago deh pan. Yuh couldah si dat him nuh deh deh, kah him heavy pan him feet like dem a lead, compare him to Yohan an its like night an day. Di coach a tell di plain truut when him seh him nuh ready yet an dat ah no lie.

Comment

One Hundred percent correct. It was like his feet were heavy. Normally when he stand up the feet much quicker. It like a pure sthrenght. In the two he found it a little, came off the corner right but couldn't keep it in the striaght.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Interesting few weeks ahead. Champions show their true greatness when the odds are against them so mek we see what he will deliver.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

Asafa is my dark horse. He looks to be just about thereabouts to take the 100M. Hey he led to at least 70M...it is just relaxing and maintaining and he runs 9.70or less...if he reports in the right frame of mind then it could be Gold, Silver, Bronze and I will not state the order how our men end that race.
                            Kiss teet...da bredda yah...

Comment

Intelligent man.

Yuh sight up di rake!

Comment

Working...
                              X