Powell, Gay showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell, Gay showdown

American Tyson Gay and Jamaica's Asafa Powell, the world's second and third fastest men of all time, will clash in a pre-Olympic 100 metres showdown at the Aviva London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace on Friday, July 13, according to a report on the IAAF's website, iaaf.org.

Gay, whose best is 9.69 seconds, fought back from injury to secure his place on the USA Olympic 100m squad at their national trials last week clocking 9.86 and he will be seeking his first Olympic medal this summer.

Both men, iaaf.org said, insist that they are on track to do damage later this summer in London and are excited about facing off for the first time this year at London's Samsung Diamond League event.

full fitness

Gay, who ran a scintillating 9.78 at Crystal Palace in 2010 but was unable to follow that up in 2011 through injury, is excited to run again in south London as he heads back to full fitness.

Gay said: "I'm looking forward to coming back to Crystal Palace for the Aviva London Grand Prix. I felt great two years ago and hope to feel the same this year. I haven't raced much this year and I'm feeling better each time out there on the track."

Powell, who has enjoyed success in the UK in the past including victories at Crystal Palace and a 9.77 run in Gateshead that saw him equal his own world record in 2006, is looking to repeat that good form in 2012. He has a personal best of 9.72.

He said: "I've got some good memories from the London Diamond League event. I want to pick up where I started here and come away with a good, fast win.

"This is a big year for me. I'm not getting any younger but there's a lot more to come from me. I've learned a lot from past major championships. I don't take anything for granted and I'm working as hard as ever. I know that I'm capable of running 9.8, 9.7, 9.6, so all that I'm focusing on is myself."

Gay will also race on Friday at the Meeting Areva in Paris, where he is to face US trials winner Justin Gatlin and European champion Christophe Lemaitre.

Also expected to line up in the 100m at Crystal Palace are Powell's training partner Nesta Carter, Lerone Clarke and Kim Collins of St Kitts and Nevis.

The men's 100m heats and final will take place on July 13 at the Aviva London Grand Prix.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

We all know how this one is gonna turn out...Gay beats Asafa...Asafa says he wasn't racing against Gay he was using the meet to tune up for the Olympics and that his groin was bothering him a bit so he didn't push it...dem cyaan trick me to get all excited again...

Comment

I don't think Asafa needs to or run this race. He should take the time to rest his very fragile groin and continue his training. Thisis a foolish move by him and his handlers. He already has a ready-made excuse to back out, so use it.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

and willi will sight the rake that sasafa playing possum, yet again ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Money haffe mek still. Asafa doesn't have a lot of time left as a top tier sprinter.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I dont think he will run...

Comment

WHAT??!!! him playing possum already?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yuzimmi

Comment

Working...
                X