Bolt withdraws from Monaco race citing injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt withdraws from Monaco race citing injury

LONDON -- Usain Bolt withdrew from his final race before the Olympics on Thursday with what his coach called a "slight" injury problem following the Jamaican trials.

Bolt was scheduled to run the 200 meters at the Monaco Diamond League meet on July 20, but pulled out to have treatment ahead of the London Games.

Bolt said the withdrawal would not keep him from coming to London to defend his titles.

The Olympic champion and world record-holder in the 100 and 200 meters had his right hamstring stretched out on the track after finishing second to Yohan Blake in the 200 at the Jamaican Olympic trials over the weekend. He also was beaten by Blake in the 100 meters in Kingston.

Bolt's coach, Glen Mills, said in a statement the withdrawal was because of "a slight problem" Bolt had at the trials. He didn't elaborate.

"After careful assessment I have had to withdraw him (Bolt) from the Samsung Diamond League Meeting in Monaco on July 20 to give him sufficient time for treatment and time to train and prepare for the Olympic Games in London," Mills said.

Bolt's surprising losses to Blake suggested the superstar sprinter may not be in the dominant form he was at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 when he powered to gold medals in the 100, 200 and 4x100 relay, all in world-record times.

"I am happy to have earned my spot on the Jamaican Olympic team despite the challenge," Bolt said in the same statement. "I will be in London to defend my titles in the 100, 200 and 4x100 meters. I want to congratulate my fellow Racers Track Club Members along with the other athletes who made the team. I thank everyone for their support
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Good. None of our top athletes needs to run any more races prior to Olympics. Straight training we seh.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Injured Usain Bolt pulls out of Diamond League

The BBC is reporting that double world record holder Usain Bolt has withdrawn from his final race before London 2012 after suffering a "slight" injury.

The 25-year-old Bolt was scheduled to run the 200 metres at the Diamond League meet in Monaco on July 20.

However, the three-time Olympic gold medallist has withdrawn so he can undergo treatment.

His coach, Glen Mills, is quoted as saying he wanted to give Bolt sufficient time for treatment and time to train and prepare for the Olympic Games.

Despite the withdrawal, Bolt said he will be in London to defend his three Olympic titles, which also includes the 100 metres and the 4 by 100-metre relay gold he won in Beijing four years ago.

The world record-holder had his right hamstring stretched out on the track after finishing second to Yohan Blake in the 200 metres at the Jamaican Olympic trials last weekend.

Bolt was also beaten by world champion Blake in the 100 metres at the Jamaican trials.

radio@gleanerjm.com

But asked in Kingston whether he was injured Bolt was evasive:

“We’ll talk about that some other time,” he said.

Comment

Unno late?

Comment

Working...
        X