100-meter Girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100-meter Girls

The Bahamas’ Anthonique Strachan convincingly won the gold in the 100-meter dash. Now watch her grab the 200-meter gold next!

This girl Strachan is the real deal, something that was made clear to me when she equaled VCB’s 200-meter Carifta Games record last year, and then ran even faster later in the season (in that 200-meter in Florida last July, she ran a blistering 22.70 seconds). This girl is not even 19 as yet, and her 100-meter PB is 11.20. Impressive!

I’m not sure though why the Bahamas does not have Shaunae Miller running in the 400-meter race. She’s the leading junior girl in the world in this event. Her 400-meter PB is 51.25, and her 200-meter PB is exactly the same as her colleague Strachan (22.70). She qualified for the Olympics, so maybe they are saving her for that. But Strachan also qualified for the Olympics and....

Strachan looked 'awesome' pulling away from the field after a fairly slow start...she's definitely quick and still with a small frame....

Comment

I Agree

Originally posted by Exile View Post
      Strachan looked 'awesome' pulling away from the field after a fairly slow start...she's definitely quick and still with a small frame....
      You are correct, Exile. This girl is a special gem for her country! Can you imagine what she will be like when/if she eventually masters her start?

I am going on record as predicting that she will win the 200-meter race in Barcelona as well.

Comment

My Predictions for Today

Speaking of Anthonique Strachan, I’m going to go on record now as predicting the gold medal in the 200-meter race for her this afternoon (the USA’s Bryant is good, but I can’t see her winning).

I’m also expecting a gold for her countrywoman Shaunae Miller in the 400-meter.

Our girl Olivia James is a fighter, and I will be happy if she somehow gets a medal, but I suspect that it’s going to take a sub-52 run for any of those girls to get a medal of any color later today. Olivia, unfortunately, has never ran a sub-52 race in her career.

Comment

CAG got injured and likely wont run the final.

Comment

I know

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            CAG got injured and likely wont run the final.
            Willi, boss, that was so unfortunate yesterday! (I realize that CAG was taken off on a stretcher, which is why I only mentioned Olivia in the post above.)

I’ve been longing for a while now to see another match-up between Shaunae Miller and Chris Ann Gordon, but I guess we’ll have to wait another year.

I am praying that CAG will be okay.

Comment

The Women's Sprints Are Finished

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              Speaking of Anthonique Strachan, I’m going to go on record now as predicting the gold medal in the 200-meter race for her this afternoon (the USA’s Bryant is good, but I can’t see her winning).
              I don’t feel like saying, “I told you so,” so I won’t say it.

I have to say, however, that Strachan’s superb 200-meter championship record-setting run today is the top performance of the 2012 World Junior Championships so far (for me)! Her performance was authoritative, and her dominance decisive!

Congrats to her! She is only the third woman in the 26-year history of the IAAF World Junior Championships to win the double (that is, 100-meter and 200-meter races).

Comment

..and the time was?

Comment

The Bahamas’ Anthonique Strachan convincingly won the gold in the 100-meter dash. Now watch her grab the 200-meter gold next!

This girl Strachan is the real deal, something that was made clear to me when she equaled VCB’s 200-meter Carifta Games record last year, and then ran even faster later in the season (in that 200-meter in Florida last July, she ran a blistering 22.70 seconds). This girl is not even 19 as yet, and her 100-meter PB is 11.20. Impressive!

I’m not sure though why the Bahamas does not have Shaunae Miller running in the 400-meter race. She’s the leading junior girl in the world in this event. Her 400-meter PB is 51.25, and her 200-meter PB is exactly the same as her colleague Strachan (22.70). She qualified for the Olympics, so maybe they are saving her for that. But Strachan also qualified for the Olympics and....
                  Strachan winning was not a surprise. She was a class above the rest which was very obvious. If she had lost then it would be a surprise.

Comment

BTW... Welcome to the board !
                    Peter R

Comment

Re: ..and the time was?

..and the time was?
                      Exile, I just saw your question. I didn’t post the time because I thought that this was already known.

Anthonique Strachan’s time was an IAAF World Junior Championships record: 22.53 seconds. By way of comparison, Veronica Campbell-Brown’s time when she won the 200-meter dash at the 2000 IAAF World Junior Championships in Santiago, Chile, was 22.87, and that was a championships record!

Trust me; today’s performance was impressive by any standards!

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Re: Strachan winning

Originally posted by cmv View Post
                          Strachan winning was not a surprise. She was a class above the rest which was very obvious. If she had lost then it would be a surprise.
                          A very good point, cmv, and I certainly agree 100 percent with your statement.

I placed emphasis on Strachan’s run because I couldn’t understand why this forum was so silent in the face of a genuinely world class junior performance/performer!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            BTW... Welcome to the board !
                            Thank you Peter R
                            Last edited by cmv; July 13, 2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

A very good point, cmv, and I certainly agree 100 percent with your statement.

I placed emphasis on Strachan’s run because I couldn’t understand why this forum was so silent in the face of a genuinely world class junior performance/performer!
                              I wouldnt know why the silence but her camp said she was injured but yet she ran 2 PR. Historian, how possible is that in a high level competition? That is my concern right now.
                              I am not casting any doubt because she is a talented athlete but her camp needs to be truthful.

Comment

Working...
                              X