X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Tommie Smith thinks Bolt can go below 9 seconds

19 yes.............but 9 c'mon

----------
    LONDON, England (CMC) — The first man to ever run below 20 seconds in the 200 metres believes if Usain Bolt improves his start, he could break the nine-second and the 19-second barriers in the 100 and 200 metres respectively.
    American Tommie Smith, who won the 200m in 19.83 seconds at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, said once Bolt got a start similar to that of his training partner and fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake, both current world records would be under threat.
    A handout picture obtained in London yesterday shows a waxworks model of Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt which was unveiled yesterday by Madame Tussauds at Heathrow Airport's Terminal 5. The wax figure is expected to remain at Heathrow Airport for the next two weeks. The London 2012 Olympic Games starts on July 27, 2012. (Photo: AFP)
    1/1
    Bolt holds the 100m world record with a clocking of 9.58 seconds at the Berlin World Championships three years ago, and the 200m record with a time of 19.19 at the same showpiece event.
    "If he gets a Blake start, we are looking at 8.9, 8.88, three eights in the 100 metres," Smith said Tuesday.
    "If he gets a Blake start in the 200 and comes off the turn with that technique of his, he might really go sub-19."
    The 25-year-old Bolt has had troubles with his start throughout his career, but has traditionally used his top-end speed to his advantage.
    However, in the Jamaica Olympic trials two weekends ago in Kingston, he was punished for a bad start, losing to Blake in the 100 metres despite a swift finish.
    Bolt was also dealt a second defeat in the 200m, again at the hands of the impressive Blake.
    Smith said his style had been similar to that of Bolt's, but conceded that the reigning Olympic 200m champion's power outstripped everything else.
    "I thought I was great when I ran. I didn't have the start and I didn't have the power," said Smith
    "My average speed was quite close to Usain Bolt's speed. But he gained his full speed I would say five metres, six or seven strides sooner than I did. He's so powerful that he can get full speed 40 metres out in the 100, 120 metres of the 200.
    "He's taller than me and more powerful. It scares you."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz20Uxb7xn7

Sub-19 looks inevitable, and not just by Bolt.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

By 666?

Comment

Heh heh. Better leave dat alone, me nuh want Father Holung call dung judgement pon de site and dem blame me when the lightening and thunder start lick!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The article is riddled with errors:

Blake does not have a good start so Blake's start cannot help Usain. He must mean Asafa's start

Also...this makes no sense

But he gained his full speed I would say five metres, six or seven strides sooner than I did
          6-7 strides doesn't accord with 5 meters....probably closer to 20. Must be that he meant Bolt was at top speed 5-7 meters sooner
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

A blake start ???

What is so great about Blakes' starts ??

Blake nevah haffi run dung Asafa wheh day fi duh 9.75 ?

Wheh dem muss worry bout is if BLAKE gets a good start !

Comment

what was blake PB in 2009 at age 20?

Comment

Working...
              X