• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican Russell wins women's World Juniors 400m hurdles

Story Created: Jul 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT
    Story Updated: Jul 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT
    l BARCELONA
    Jamaican Janieve Russell clocked a junior world-leading time and a personal best as she conjured up a sterling performance to capture gold in the 400 metres hurdles at the World Junior Championships yesterday.
    Running out of lane six, Russell paced herself well to easily out-run her field and cross the line in a time of 56.62 seconds.
    She finished ahead of France's Aurèlie Chaboudez (57.14) and American Kaila Barber who stopped the clock at 57.63.
    Only last month, Russell ran a world-leading 57.04 seconds at the Jamaica National trials in Kingston.
    "I feel very good that I got the gold for my country. I dedicate my medal to Jamaica," Russell said.
    "The race went according to the plan which was given to me by my coach. I got personal best, so I am very happy and thankful to God. I have two idols for 400m hurdles and one of them is Melaine Walker, the Beijing Olympic Games winner."
    Jamaica also tasted success in the men's sprint relay when they got silver behind the United States who set a world-leading 38.67 in winning gold.
    The team of Tyquendo Tracey, Odean Skeene, Jevaughn Minzie and Jazeel Murphy clocked 38.97.
    Japan finished third in 39.02.
    The Caribbean will have no presence in the women's sprint hurdles in today's final day of competition after all the regional runners missed out on qualifying.
    In the first semi-final, Jamaican Chrisdale McCarthy narrowly missed a place when she finished third in 13.65.
    Barbadian Shakera Hall, meanwhile, finished last in the second semi-final in 14.10 while Samantha Scarlett of Jamaica (13.88) and Barbadian Sade Mariah Greenidge also finished out of qualification in the third race.

A Special Athlete

Originally posted by Exile View Post
    Story Created: Jul 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT
    Story Updated: Jul 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT
    l BARCELONA
    Jamaican Janieve Russell clocked a junior world-leading time and a personal best as she conjured up a sterling performance to capture gold in the 400 metres hurdles at the World Junior Championships yesterday.
    Running out of lane six, Russell paced herself well to easily out-run her field and cross the line in a time of 56.62 seconds.
    She finished ahead of France's Aurèlie Chaboudez (57.14) and American Kaila Barber who stopped the clock at 57.63.
    Only last month, Russell ran a world-leading 57.04 seconds at the Jamaica National trials in Kingston.
    "I feel very good that I got the gold for my country. I dedicate my medal to Jamaica," Russell said.
    "The race went according to the plan which was given to me by my coach. I got personal best, so I am very happy and thankful to God. I have two idols for 400m hurdles and one of them is Melaine Walker, the Beijing Olympic Games winner."
    Jamaica also tasted success in the men's sprint relay when they got silver behind the United States who set a world-leading 38.67 in winning gold.
    The team of Tyquendo Tracey, Odean Skeene, Jevaughn Minzie and Jazeel Murphy clocked 38.97.
    Japan finished third in 39.02.
    The Caribbean will have no presence in the women's sprint hurdles in today's final day of competition after all the regional runners missed out on qualifying.
    In the first semi-final, Jamaican Chrisdale McCarthy narrowly missed a place when she finished third in 13.65.
    Barbadian Shakera Hall, meanwhile, finished last in the second semi-final in 14.10 while Samantha Scarlett of Jamaica (13.88) and Barbadian Sade Mariah Greenidge also finished out of qualification in the third race.
    She certainly has found her real event. This girl is an all rounded nuff nuff respect due to her.

Comment

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html

Comment

Working...
      X