The Japanese Athletes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Japanese Athletes

Japan is no walkover when it comes to track and field. For example, at yesterday’s IAAF World Juniors Japan lost the 4x100-meter gold on the anchor leg (the Jamaican and American anchors had to run like hell). Also, I’m sure we all remember that Japan got the bronze medal in the 4x100-m relay in Beijing. Clearly they often make decent baton changes.

One of the most memorable junior relay battles I’ve ever seen was at the 1999 IAAF World Youth Championships in Poland (this was the championships where our girls Veronica Campbell got the gold medal and Lisa Sharpe got the silver in the 100-meter dash).

In the boys’ 4x100-meter relay at that IAAF World Youth Championships, Japan was well ahead of Jamaica by the final baton exchange. Then in one of the most exciting anchor leg performances I’ve ever seen, Omar Brown ran down the Japanese boy and so gave Jamaica the gold medal (Omar’s performance was similar to what Jazeel Murphy did to Japan in the finals of the sprint relay yesterday).

The point of this anecdote, however, is to show that Japan is always there somewhere in the mix in men’s sprinting, particularly the sprint relays. Never understimate these Asians!

Oh, the memories….

Originally posted by Historian View Post

The point of this anecdote, however, is to show that Japan is always there somewhere in the mix in men’s sprinting, particularly the sprint relays. Never understimate these Asians!

Oh, the memories….

woiiee mi spleen!!! Betta yuh guh sleep yes
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Japan is no walkover when it comes to track and field. For example, at yesterday’s IAAF World Juniors Japan lost the 4x100-meter gold on the anchor leg (the Jamaican and American anchors had to run like hell). Also, I’m sure we all remember that Japan got the bronze medal in the 4x100-m relay in Beijing. Clearly they often make decent baton changes.

One of the most memorable junior relay battles I’ve ever seen was at the 1999 IAAF World Youth Championships in Poland (this was the championships where our girls Veronica Campbell got the gold medal and Lisa Sharpe got the silver in the 100-meter dash).

In the boys’ 4x100-meter relay at that IAAF World Youth Championships, Japan was well ahead of Jamaica by the final baton exchange. Then in one of the most exciting anchor leg performances I’ve ever seen, Omar Brown ran down the Japanese boy and so gave Jamaica the gold medal (Omar’s performance was similar to what Jazeel Murphy did to Japan in the finals of the sprint relay yesterday).

Oh, the memories….
      Nothing special to me about them. If they had the workload like our kids they wouldnt survive.

Comment

On the other hand....

Originally posted by cmv View Post
        Nothing special to me about them. If they had the workload like our kids they wouldnt survive.
        I get your point, but it’s a bit ironic that, in reference to the Japanese people, you use words like “workload” and “wouldn’t survive.”

As far as “workload” is concerned, we might find it useful to check the international results of mathematics tests. It would also be an eye-opener if we looked closely at the overall attitude and performance of Japanese students from elementary to university levels. Finally, we could consider the fact that Japan’s education system played such a central role in their post-World War II recovery.

Secondly, the phrase “wouldn’t survive” (in any context) is probably an oxymoron in the face of those people’s recovery from the incredible devastation of World War II to become one of the great economic success stories of modern times.

I’m not sure what their “workload” is like in athletics, and I doubt if track and field plays the central role in their society similar to what it does in Jamaica (not many countries emphasize track as Jamaica does). But suffice it to say that I’m sure the Japanese are not frightened of any “workload.”

Who knows, given a similar athletic workload like that found in Jamaican schools, they might shine in ways that would impress us all.

Comment

Give it a break...this is almost laughable

Japanese are an afterthought in the sprint world... Period.....
          ..back to sleep fi yuh

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Excellent points.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Thanks, J

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
              Excellent points.
              Thanks, Jangle.

The Japanese are making their presence felt and with some success in the area of sports (their female national soccer team immediately comes to mind). In track and field, Japanese athletes do not win individual medals, but I’ve seen Japanese male sprinters give Jamaicans a run for their money! In fact, one thing that the Asian (Chinese) athlete Liu Xiang has taught me is that success in track and field can come from anywhere at the most unexpected times.

Looking at their attitude and their outlook on/approach to life, it probably is really not a surprise that the Japanese, like the Chinese, have made remarkable accomplishments in several areas of life.

Comment

It is not about the ifs' because it is an assumption

I get your point, but it’s a bit ironic that, in reference to the Japanese people, you use words like “workload” and “wouldn’t survive.”

As far as “workload” is concerned, we might find it useful to check the international results of mathematics tests. It would also be an eye-opener if we looked closely at the overall attitude and performance of Japanese students from elementary to university levels. Finally, we could consider the fact that Japan’s education system played such a central role in their post-World War II recovery.

Secondly, the phrase “wouldn’t survive” (in any context) is probably an oxymoron in the face of those people’s recovery from the incredible devastation of World War II to become one of the great economic success stories of modern times.

I’m not sure what their “workload” is like in athletics, and I doubt if track and field plays the central role in their society similar to what it does in Jamaica (not many countries emphasize track as Jamaica does). But suffice it to say that I’m sure the Japanese are not frightened of any “workload.”

Who knows, given a similar athletic workload like that found in Jamaican schools, they might shine in ways that would impress us all.
                I'm strictly talking athletics and Jamaicans are naturally gifted in this area.We have such a deep pool of talent to choose from. The recently concluded WJ shows our depth and talent. Although our kids were faced with many challenges they still managed to survive and top the Caribbean. Some thought other countries would have toppled us but yeah it's Jamaica wi talking bout. The important thing is that our medals were spread all around and most of our kids will still be Juniors the next time around. Isn't that something???

Comment

Mind dem kill yuh wid dem stats,yuh a mek too much sense.
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by X View Post
                    Mind dem kill yuh wid dem stats,yuh a mek too much sense.
                    X, I know what you mean, boss.

Comment

Oh? I see....

Originally posted by cmv View Post
                      I'm strictly talking athletics and Jamaicans are naturally gifted in this area.We have such a deep pool of talent to choose from. The recently concluded WJ shows our depth and talent. Although our kids were faced with many challenges they still managed to survive and top the Caribbean. Some thought other countries would have toppled us but yeah it's Jamaica wi talking bout. The important thing is that our medals were spread all around and most of our kids will still be Juniors the next time around. Isn't that something???
                      True, our medals were indeed “spread all around” because Jamaica won medals in the long jump, triple jump, high jump, shot put, javelin, middle distance track events and several sprint events.

I totally love, admire and support my Jamaican junior athletes, but since when does medals in four sprint events and one field event represent our medals being “spread all around”?!

On the other hand, if by “spread all around” you meant gender-wise, then I will have to support that view because there were a total of six boys and five girls who medaled for us in the finals of the five events.

My friend, Jamaicans are “naturally gifted” in these areas, but so too are other Caribbean countries! The primary difference is our population size compared with most other Caribbean countries, and the immense emphasis placed on track and field throughout the Jamaican high school system with the ultimate focus being bragging rights for schools at our annual Boys & Girls Champs. Other Caribbean nations are now placing greater emphasis on their own track and field programs, and we are already beginning to see the difference at the level of the Carifta Games, the IAAF World Youth Championships and the IAAF World Junior Championships.

This is my final post on this topic, my friend, because the timing of this discussion is unfortunate and might convey impressions of Historian overly and unfairly criticizing our young gems, who have all worked their hearts out to make Jamaica proud. I wish other Jamaicans -- young and old -- in other spheres of national life were giving us equal reason to be proud!!

Comment

Excellent points Historian!!!

"And the silly...shall be silly still".
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Because his points on Japanese sprint performance are indefensible (despite the misguided minions rushing to his defence) he switches the argument to some things completely unrelated ie..Japanese achievements in academics and economics.

This tactic is common in argumentation when one's case is weak...it's the use of red herrings to deflect and obfuscate

The simple minded will fall for it though
                          Last edited by Don1; July 16, 2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks, man

Originally posted by HL View Post
                            Excellent points Historian!!!

"And the silly...shall be silly still".
                            Thank you, HL.

Trust me, I’m getting more and more nervous as this Olympics draws near. The expectations on our Jamaican athletes will be extremely high, particularly because it coincides so perfectly with our 50th Anniversary celebration, and also because of how high we raised the bar four years ago in Beijing! This is why I’m just trying to keep an open mind (along with a big bottle of Appleton and couple of cans of Cranberry Juice for when the track and field events begin in early August).

Comment

The US will no doubt try to take back what they consider theirs. Jamaica will try to stamp their class on the games once again. Your nervousness is warranted and understood.

I hope you are imbibing nothing less than Appleton Reserve...

Oh BTW... Appleton mixes well with cranberry? I did not know.
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X