Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Junior 200-Metre Champ Keen To Join Racers

Published: Sunday | July 15, 2012 0 Comments

Delano Williams (centre) shows off his gold medal while being flanked by the American pair of Aaron Ernest (left), who won silver, and bronze medallist Tyreek Hill.- Contributed
    Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

BARCELONA, Spain:

Turks and Caicos' first-ever World Junior Championships medal winner, Delano Williams, is keen on joining Jamaica's Racers Track Club.

Williams, who studies and trains in Jamaica at Munro College, won the 200m final at the 14th IAAF World Junior Championships last Friday in a new national-record time of 20.48 seconds.

The University of the West Indies, Mona-based club has an impressive contingent of 200-metre runners, who are conditioned by head coach Glen Mills. These include reigning Olympic and World champion plus world record holder Usain Bolt.

In addition to Bolt, there is Yohan Blake, whose time of 19.26 seconds is next only to Bolt's world record of 19.19 seconds, and Warren Weir, who entered the sub-20 club this year.

"This is their (Turks and Caicos') first IAAF World Junior medal. I am grateful because they have done a lot for me," Williams expressed after his victory.

"I am sure other things can be put in place to ensure I go to a great school and a track club while I am staying in Jamaica."

He added: "Well, actually, (I want to join) Racers Track Club. I have seen tremendous talent there and performance. Warren Weir, for example, he just took up the 200 metres this year and ran 19.90 (19.99 seconds), that's spectacular. That (Racers) is a 200 metres club, so I think I might be leaning to that club."

TWO YEARS IN THE MAKING

Williams revealed that his triumph was the result of a two-year plan following his failure to make the final at the 2010 championship staged in Mocton, Canada.

"I didn't even make the semi-final. I ran 21.56 (seconds) and got beat out of the semis by 100th of a second by a Venezuelan guy. I will never forget that," he expressed, while crediting his development to Jamaica.

"I want to say thanks to the Turks and Caicos Federation; they brought me here. Thank you, very much, I really appreciate it," Williams said. "I want to say also 'big up' to Jamaica. They have done a lot for me. I train and study there, so if I didn't run in Jamaica, I wouldn't be this fast. So thanks to Jamaica and I will be back soon," he added.

Williams intends to go back to the Turks and Caicos to spend time with his family, including his twin sister, before returning to Jamaica to begin upper-sixth form studies at Munro.

"I am not really going to celebrate. I just want to get back to Jamaica. I really love that place."

He is also looking forward to making the transition to the senior level, having failed in his bid to make this year's British Olympic team.

"This is like a pool, so I have to go in the ocean and see what I can find," Williams stated. "I know it is going to be harder, but if others can do it, I know I can do it as well," he added.

ryon.jones@gleanerjm.com

Originally posted by Exile View Post
    Published: Sunday | July 15, 2012 0 Comments

Delano Williams (centre) shows off his gold medal while being flanked by the American pair of Aaron Ernest (left), who won silver, and bronze medallist Tyreek Hill.- Contributed
    Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

BARCELONA, Spain:

Turks and Caicos' first-ever World Junior Championships medal winner, Delano Williams, is keen on joining Jamaica's Racers Track Club.

Williams, who studies and trains in Jamaica at Munro College, won the 200m final at the 14th IAAF World Junior Championships last Friday in a new national-record time of 20.48 seconds.

The University of the West Indies, Mona-based club has an impressive contingent of 200-metre runners, who are conditioned by head coach Glen Mills. These include reigning Olympic and World champion plus world record holder Usain Bolt.

In addition to Bolt, there is Yohan Blake, whose time of 19.26 seconds is next only to Bolt's world record of 19.19 seconds, and Warren Weir, who entered the sub-20 club this year.

"This is their (Turks and Caicos') first IAAF World Junior medal. I am grateful because they have done a lot for me," Williams expressed after his victory.

"I am sure other things can be put in place to ensure I go to a great school and a track club while I am staying in Jamaica."

He added: "Well, actually, (I want to join) Racers Track Club. I have seen tremendous talent there and performance. Warren Weir, for example, he just took up the 200 metres this year and ran 19.90 (19.99 seconds), that's spectacular. That (Racers) is a 200 metres club, so I think I might be leaning to that club."

TWO YEARS IN THE MAKING

Williams revealed that his triumph was the result of a two-year plan following his failure to make the final at the 2010 championship staged in Mocton, Canada.

"I didn't even make the semi-final. I ran 21.56 (seconds) and got beat out of the semis by 100th of a second by a Venezuelan guy. I will never forget that," he expressed, while crediting his development to Jamaica.

"I want to say thanks to the Turks and Caicos Federation; they brought me here. Thank you, very much, I really appreciate it," Williams said. "I want to say also 'big up' to Jamaica. They have done a lot for me. I train and study there, so if I didn't run in Jamaica, I wouldn't be this fast. So thanks to Jamaica and I will be back soon," he added.

Williams intends to go back to the Turks and Caicos to spend time with his family, including his twin sister, before returning to Jamaica to begin upper-sixth form studies at Munro.

"I am not really going to celebrate. I just want to get back to Jamaica. I really love that place."

He is also looking forward to making the transition to the senior level, having failed in his bid to make this year's British Olympic team.

"This is like a pool, so I have to go in the ocean and see what I can find," Williams stated. "I know it is going to be harder, but if others can do it, I know I can do it as well," he added.

ryon.jones@gleanerjm.com
    a really nice kid this one...wish him all the best
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

...but him run fi England....better him adopt Ja...

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        a really nice kid this one...wish him all the best
        Very intelligent too. Class is class.

Comment

But Forte is faster...It has to be said.

If Forte couldnt get the gold, then I am happy that Delano did.

Comment

I wasn't talking who was faster

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            But Forte is faster...It has to be said.

If Forte couldnt get the gold, then I am happy that Delano did.
            I would agree that the gold was written all over Forte. In the end it was a silver turned to Gold for Delano. I was happy that it was Delano who got the Gold due to Forte's mishap instead of the greedy Americans.

Comment

He would be a welcomed adoption for us, but it is so difficult to make our team that to realize his dreams, it may be better for him to keep trying out for England.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
              X