The latest controversy is that JAAA foce us into

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The latest controversy is that JAAA foce us into

Winter Camp in Birmingham for the sake of 30 pieces of silver. Meanwhile Hinglan and the cowl weddah countries flee to the Canary islands for their last minute training in the sun.

What a prekeh if the cowl weddah dampen medal pospects!

May help if it's cold and wet...they acclimatizing...

Comment

Was thinking the same... what's the down side? the temperature warms up ? how is that negative? Willi, you're the track man...
      The ten day forecast isn't encouraging for the start of the games.
      http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-London-UKXX0085
      Peter R

Comment

Exile and Peter, this might help

The United States Air Force conducts one of the world's premier Air Crew Survival Schools. The training provided through this school specifically addresses cold weather survival by stating the following in the instructor's manual:

"Cold is a serious stress source, even in mild degrees it lowers efficiency. Extreme cold numbs the body and dulls the will to do anything except get warm. Cold numbs up the body by lowering the flow of blood to the extremities (we use these in ALL of our exercises) and results in sleepiness". (USAF 1985)

The authors of Exercise Physiology state: "the normal heat transfer gradient is from the body to the environment, and core temperature is generally maintained without physiologic strain. In extreme cold however excessive heat loss can occur, particularly when the person is resting."(Katch et al. 1996) [3]

Resting between sets is normal, especially when working in the 85 to 95% 1RM range. Schniepp et al. (2002) [5] reported the results of tests run on ten well-trained cyclists and their response to cold water immersion.

The cyclists, who were exposed to cold water prior to a strength-cycling test, clearly showed the adverse effects the cold temperature had on power output. The cold affected blood flow, metabolism, and the balance of agonist-antagonist muscular activity. "These factors will undoubtedly affect the rate of energy production and muscular efficiency." (Schniepp 2002) [5]

Ferritti (1992) [7] and cited by Schniepp et al. (2002) [5] "demonstrated a temperature-dependent relationship on the rate of Adenosine Triphosphate hydrolysis, as a reduction in ATP resynthesis occurs with an associated decrease in the rate of cross bridge detachment. A relatively greater number of cross-bridge attachments have been found in cooler muscles, resulting in an increase in power absorption proportional to the external work required to lengthen the muscle." If ATP is slow in breaking down, then power decreases cannot be far behind.

----------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen, here is the link to the full article: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni16a3.htm

Comment

It doesn't really except to talk about EXTREME cold events and the physiological effects. Is that we have in Birmingham now? Or is it just regular England summer cold and rain?
          I'm not the expert here but I remember a similar issue with our track team before. From my experience, I know it takes getting used to (not track) in cold weather. When that cold air reaches your lungs and you feel the burn, it's not easy...also when that sweat freezes on your face.....
          Most of our athletes have gotten some exposure to cold weather running already though...cold rain is another matter....

Comment

I know

Originally posted by Exile View Post
            It doesn't really except to talk about EXTREME cold events and the physiological effects. Is that we have in Birmingham now? Or is it just regular England summer cold and rain?
            I’m not sure, Exile. I did not check. In my mind, I simply took it for granted that it was more than the regular low temperatures after seeing the response of the British and USA people.

Comment

Not good then...

Comment

...but could they have predicted...and things have to be put in place...given also our limited budget...
                BTW what are your thoughts on professional millionaires - although representing country taking from the national purse what other less supported athletes could have used? Does Jamaica as a TEAM in the Olympics get a % or any support from the big-named athletes and sponsors??

Comment

Working...
                X