• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alia Atkison.. another victim of

Originally posted by Muabib
    PNP Economic Malpractice..
    Originally posted by Muabib

How di NCAA 200 Champion in 2010 nuh fi win Gold or Silver ??

Given proper support is a GOLD quality girl dat !
    Muadib, my friend, the truth is that Jamaican decision makers have been incredibly inconsistent as far as overall sports development is concerned.

I am one of those who believe that emphasis on sports, particularly among the young, can do wonders for the development of a people (discipline, etc.). Nevertheless, a direct malpractice in various areas of life by various key players, including BOTH parties, has resulted in this so-called “Sports Power” being represented in the London Olympic Games at this point in our history by an arsenal of sprinters (and sprint hurdlers) and a sole swimmer. I won’t even mention the equestrienne, who for reasons of her own choosing, decided to represent Jamaica. The same goes for the lone swimmer. Both these ladies, our only “non-track and field” Olympians in 2012, live permanently outside of Jamaica, and train completely outside of a Jamaican setting.

And we don’t learn, even when the obvious is staring us smack in the face. So while at the turn of the 21st century a visionary coach by the name of Stephen Francis was struggling to get financial support for a certain new discovery of his by the name of Asafa Powell, a decade later Dorian Scott, a field events man, finds himself in a similar situation. And there are others, for example a talented but obviously overlooked coach by the name of Julian Robinson.

We thought “out of the box” back in the late 1980s and turned heads with our innovative entry into bobsledding. In fact, our ingenuity so impressed others that Disney made a full-length movie about our bobsled team (“Cool Runnings”). However, that fifteen minutes of innovation and its accompanying fame ended more than two decades ago!

Of course, I could go on and on with glimpses of past greatness in table tennis, boxing, and cycling. And the last time I checked, these sporting events were still among the 36 or so events being contested at the London Olympic Games. But where has Jamaica been in all of this in recent times?

So, despite occasional glimpses of greatness, we have been very inconsistent in our emphasis and our achievements. Sixty four years after our first triumphant entry into the Olympic Games, we are now having a discus thrower for the first time, I believe! And when was the last time we had a long jumper of note? The great James Beckford had his last hurrah way back in 1996 at the Atlanta Olympic Games. In the javelin, Olivia McKoy took her final throw quite some time ago.

Finally, much has already been noted about the curious case of our quarter milers in a case where the international prominence we achieved in track and field during the late 1940s and early 1950s was based largely on our 400-meter men. But look at the scenario today: we struggle to make Olympic finals in the 400-meter for men, and we have performed horribly in the men’s 4x400-meter relay during the past ten years.

Muadib, my friend, I’m afraid that our failure is much more than economic malpractice by a single party.

But why the hell doesn’t Historian shut up? After all, we will have a real 50th Anniversary celebration when Bolt and Blake and Powell and Fraser-Pryce and Walker and Campbell-Brown and Spencer and Williams-Mills and Foster-Hylton all stand on the medal podium and at last give us a reason for celebration.

Yuh tink seh if the SDF had a Billion dollar budget (thats US$) Alia Atkinson would have a problem in the world ??

What is $5 Million US for a country with Jamaica Talent ?

NCAA Champion is not a joke ting !

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
      Yuh tink seh if the SDF had a Billion dollar budget (thats US$) Alia Atkinson would have a problem in the world ??
      You might be surprised, Muadib!

Comment

minor correction "our only “non-track and field” Olympians in 2012"
        Kenneth Edwards from ningen martial arts is representing us in Taekwondo.

Ningen have been making headlines lately
        http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...orida_11981257

Comment

A Wonderful Step

Originally posted by Za View Post
          minor correction "our only “non-track and field” Olympians in 2012"
          Kenneth Edwards from ningen martial arts is representing us in Taekwondo.

Ningen have been making headlines lately
          http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...orida_11981257
          I did not know we had a martial arts rep in London! This is wonderful news.

Thanks for this info, Za.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            I did not know we had a martial arts rep in London! This is wonderful news.

Thanks for this info, Za.
            no problem, He's the first Jamaican to qualify for the olympics in Taekwondo.
            He is schedule to enter competition Aug 11
            https://www.facebook.com/KennethEdwardsJAM

Comment

Working...
            X