Whither Carlton Baugh?.................. omitted from T20 sq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whither Carlton Baugh?.................. omitted from T20 sq

West Indies wicketkeeper/batsman Carlton Baugh has been omitted from Jamaica's 14-man squad to represent the country at the Caribbean Twenty20 (CT20) tournament to be jointly held in Trinidad & Tobago and St Lucia
    next January.
    BAUGH... has had an uneasy relationship with local club Melbourne since late last year
    1/1
    Baugh did not play for his club, Melbourne CC, in the recently-concluded JAM T20 local cricket competition, which meant he was not considered for national selection as per the guidelines of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA).
    The Jamaica Observer understands that Baugh and Melbourne have had an uneasy relationship since late 2011 when he failed to show for Melbourne's JAM T20 semi-final match at the Ultimate Cricket venue in Discovery Bay.
    It is reported that the pint-sized gloveman was initially dissatisfied with the subsequent penalty handed out by Melbourne's disciplinary committee, but that issue appeared to have been resolved following mediation involving representatives from the West Indies Players' Association (WIPA), the club's executive and the local cricket body.
    However, a source close to Melbourne told the Observer that this season, the 30-year-old turned up for his club on the day of a match only to be told that he was not in the squad selected, and it is understood that that may have caused a new rift.
    This newspaper tried to get a comment from Baugh, but calls to his mobile telephone number went directly to voicemail, while voice messages and a text message was not responded to up to yesterday evening.
    Calls made to JCA president Lyndel Wright and chairman of selectors Courtney Daley were also unsuccessful.
    The Observer did, however, make contact with Melbourne's club president Neville Atkinson, but he declined to comment on the reasons for Baugh's absence from the JAM T20 competition, explaining that he did not want to negatively affect any future mediation between the parties.
    Baugh has represented the West Indies in 21 Tests, as well as in 47 One-Day and three T20 Internationals.
    Meanwhile, the Tamar Lambert-led Jamaica team will also be without marquee batsmen Christopher Gayle and Marlon Samuels because both are contracted to be engaged in the Australian Big Bash T20 tournament.
    Youth players John Campbell and wicketkeeper/batsman Aldane Thomas are drafted in to help fill the void.
    Despite the absentees, national head coach Junior Bennett said the squad is a balanced one with a good mixture of experienced players and quality youngsters.
    "It's a fairly balanced squad and it wasn't easy to pick because there are plenty of good players across the island. We have some quality young players in the team and we also have some senior campaigners.
    "In the trial matches we saw some good knocks from John Campbell, Nkrumah Bonner and Danza Hyatt and most of the bowlers did really well. We just have to work hard now and try to win the tournament," Bennett said yesterday.
    Squad — Tamar Lambert (captain), David Bernard (vice-captain), Nkrumah Bonner, John Campbell, Danza Hyatt, Andre Russell, Aldane Thomas, Nikita Miller, Odean Brown, Sheldon Cotterell, Krishmar Santokie, Jamie Merchant, Yannick Elliott, Andre McCarthy.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2DVbpYXSG

Jermaine Lannaman, Gleaner Writer

Teenage opener John Campbell says he was not surprised when he got the call that he was a part of Jamaica 14-man squad for the upcoming Caribbean Twenty20 cricket tournament.

The 19-year-old left-hander, who has represented West Indies at the Under-15 and Under-19 levels, was one of several new faces that were announced by the national selectors as the country seeks to win the regional title for the first time.

Some of the others include former national youth representatives Yannick Elliott, Andre McCarthy, Jamie Merchant and Aldane Thomas.

"I was not really surprised. During the trial matches I made runs and was one of the leading players," said Campbell, who earlier this year slammed an impressive 105 against England at the ICC Youth World Cup in Australia.

"One of those innings came in the first trial match in which I opened and made 66 not out to help my team win the match."

Campbell, who hails from Jackson, which is located on the outskirts of Port Maria, St Mary, and plays for the parish in national club competitions, also pointed to hard work as another reason for his making the cut.

"I look at my selection as hard work paying off. I really worked hard throughout the year with various coaches and squads, which has improved the game," said Campbell, who was invited to the CT20 trials last year, but was only good enough to make the reserves.

"One of these coaches is my coach at St Mary, Cleon Smith. From a young age he kept on saying to me that I could play for Jamaica senior team at an early age if I stay focused."

Campbell, who is an attacking player by nature, and fashions his game off Chris Gayle, also explained that his selection has made his family and community proud.

happy with selection

He added: "Everybody is really happy with my selection, especially my grandfather, Clive Campbell, who along with my father, John Campbell Sr, played cricket, but not at a high level.

"I just hope that now that I am in I continue to work hard, as it would not make any sense to reach this far and fall away.

"My aim is to play Test cricket for the West Indies and this call-up is just one step in that direction."

The Caribbean T20 will be held jointly by Trinidad and Tobago and St Lucia between January 6 and 30.

JA SQUAD: Tamar Lambert (captain), David Bernard Jr (vice-captain), Nkrumah Bonner, André Russell, Danza Hyatt, André McCarthy, Jamie Merchant, Nikita Miller, Odean Brown, Krishmar Santokie, Yannick Elliott, Sheldon Cotterell, Aldane Thomas, John Campbell.

Comment

Working...
    X