Clear All

• Let's predict and archive this!

Sprint dream leads Walker to Racers

Published: Thursday | April 11, 2013

Walker

Francis

1 2 >

Leighton Levy, Gleaner Writer

Declaring a lifelong dream to try her fortunes at the sprint hurdles and the sprints, Olympic and World 400-metre hurdles champion Melaine Walker has revealed that her decision to walk away from the MVP Track Club was due mainly to the refusal of head coach Stephen Francis to help her realise her ambitions in that regard.

Walker is the 2008 Olympic 400-metre hurdles champion. She also boasts a personal best of 52.42 seconds over the 400m hurdles, a mark that was set at the IAAF World Athletics Athletics Championships in Berlin in August 2009.

In an interview in which she was very direct about her motivations and her decision to leave the MVP club, Walker says it is her dream to compete at the 100-metre hurdles, an event in which she has run as fast as 12.75 seconds.

She set the mark in Sacramento, California, in 2006 at the NCAA Championships.

Francis, she said, has refused to coach her in that discipline, which she says breached a verbal agreement she had with the controversial but successful head coach when she first joined the club, shortly after she clocked that personal best time in Sacramento.

"Coming out of college, Stephen Francis and I had an original plan of running both events (100m and 400m hurdles). What I have realised over the years is that he has refused to coach me in the 100m hurdles," she said. "I have had a problem running the events also. So after the (2012) Olympics, I reassessed myself and I said, 'Why is it that I don't like the event, and what is the problem?' I have had this ongoing lingering problem with thinking that I am a sprinter. At the end of the day, this problem would not have occurred had I been running the 100m hurdles."

When coach Francis refused to coach her for the event, Walker revealed, she told him that she felt like she should attempt the sprints, even for a year, with the 100-metre hurdles being her main priority, to see what would happen. Walker said she also told him that if it didn't work out, then she would know for sure that she was incapable of excelling at the event.

"I would then be comfortable that I am not a sprinter and I wouldn't have to think about it all the time, so I would dedicate myself to the event (400m hurdles) and start to accept the event at another level. That is all that I was searching for," she said.

Declined to comment
    The Gleaner made several unsuccessful attempts to reach coach Francis since Tuesday. Bruce James, president of MVP, was also contacted yesterday, but declined to comment on the issue.

However, Francis had outlined his reasons for not coaching Walker for the sprints, in an interview carried on Television Jamaica.

"She came to me early February and told me that she wanted to sprint. I told her that well, you are a big woman, I am not going to tell you what to do, but you are not doing it here. I am not going to help you," Francis stated. "You have an obligation to yourself, to your family and to everybody to pursue your career with full vigor. If you are going to retire, then you retire, but I am not going to help you with the foolishness about you being a sprinter. You were a sprinter at 15 years old, you are now 30 and a lot has happened during that time and it is pointless."

Walker, who famously underperformed at the London Olympics last summer - something for which she has already apologised publicly - said Francis' statements this week that she would not be welcome back to the club was not a surprise, because despite her tremendous respect for his coaching skills there was no love lost between them.

"Stephen Francis and I have never had a good relationship, and even though we didn't have a good relationship I have hugged him the most. I know the person he is and I expected it," she said.

Now at Racers, Walker said she will be finalising her programme with the coaches there as she attempts to take on the 100m hurdles, as well as the 100-metres; and she is not perturbed about the possibility of failure.
    "I believe I will excel," she said.

She and her coaches, she said, will decide what her targets will be for this coming season as she is under no illusion about what she can accomplish, given that she will be switching events.

At the end of it all, Walker said she is happy; happy with her decision to leave the club where she accomplished so much, and happy that she finally gets to pursue her dream.

"It is something that I should have done a long time ago and being happy I know I'll do great things," she said.

Will Walker medal in the World Champs or Olympics as a 100m flat or 110m hurdler? Bridgette did it at ager 34 and Merlene war running at 40 but those two were short distance sprinters for years.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html
    My prediction is
    1- She won't qualify for the 100m flat
    2- She may qualify for the 110m hurdles flat team but will not medal.
    Last edited by Karl; April 17, 2013, 12:54 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Why Archive a Fatal Mistake???

Why archive an erroneous decision by a talented 30-year-old (or so) athlete who, as her former coach Stephen Francis feels, has the potential to break the 400-meter hurdles world record?

I have watched Melaine’s career blossom from her early years in high school straight to her greatest triumph when she ran the second fastest time in history (in her event) at the 2009 IAAF World Championships. In fact, just last weekend I played my DVD recording of that race. That 54.42 seconds is no joke -- just ask the great Lashinda Demus!

Despite the perception of him by the public, a perception caused by his perceived arrogance, Stephen “Franno” Francis is a coach that all Jamaicans should respect, because we are all benefitting from the fruits of his early, arduous labor. Remember an unknown sprinter by the name of Asafa Powell? Remember an equally unknown athlete by the name of Shelly-Ann Fraser? These two never had the benefits of Carifta or anything else, but....

Comment

If she is making a "mistake" why is it fatal? Note I put "mistake" in quotes I do not see her pursuing HER DREAM as being a mistake. Francis said she is a "big woman", at 30 she is no longer wet behind the ears and so her decision to pursue a dream (no matter how "fatal" others see it) is something I say she should go for. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If she falls flat on her face (whether by tripping over a hurdle or figuratively) I think at this stage of her life she must be making a decision knowing all eventualities, good and bad.

I say, more power to her. She has already made a significant achievement and contribution in her career, so I say "you go for it girl!" cause you only have one life to live...and you're not getting any younger
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
        If she is making a "mistake" why is it fatal? Note I put "mistake" in quotes I do not see her pursuing HER DREAM as being a mistake. Francis said she is a "big woman", at 30 she is no longer wet behind the ears and so her decision to pursue a dream (no matter how "fatal" others see it) is something I say she should go for. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If she falls flat on her face (whether by tripping over a hurdle or figuratively) I think at this stage of her life she must be making a decision knowing all eventualities, good and bad.

I say, more power to her. She has already made a significant achievement and contribution in her career, so I say "you go for it girl!" cause you only have one life to live...and you're not getting any younger
        She is trying to emulate Bridgette foster who struck gold at 34 years old.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Who the shoes fit let them wear it...sorry but where does the Shoes Co comes in this?

Comment

I have not checked if that 2009 time of 54.42 sec. was run and at what meet...but I am thinking her time that held as the 2nd fastest in history was 52.00 change...right?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              Despite the perception of him by the public, a perception caused by his perceived arrogance, Stephen “Franno” Francis...
              Perceived arrogance?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Agreed FULL 100!
                ...and it is important to note she spelt out those very same possibilities and promised to in future re-evaluate. Yup! ...she is going in with eyes wide open.

The 'funny thing' is going for the sprint hurdles may (should) aid in improving her 400M Hurdles times. Running faster and maintaining her known strength and determination should put her in 400M World Record range!!!

Aside: Always wondered why she has never been on our Ladies 4 x 400M teams. Her 400M Hurdles times suggest she could have run a split - 49 change through 48 change!!!!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

absolutely correct
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

It does not work that way Karl. She does not run great mile relay leg...it is strange but true.

The one caveat to your argument is that meet directors and shoe companies are bastards. Dem love yuhb when you are up, but drop U like a bad habit the minute you falter.

She has bills to pay...this is her work...if she is fine with that, then so am I.

Comment

She is 0.07s off the WR, in my view, that should be her priority to Kaching, Kaching.

Comment

priority ....Olympic gold or record....hmmm..?

Comment

Just caught what I thought was end of an interview with Francis on Sportsmax with Simon Crosskill. It continued for some time... I didn't get to focus on it as a phone call came in I had to take, but it seemed extensive. What struck me was one comment with words to the effect: "athletes who leave here flop"...
                          Peter R

Comment

He also spoke about his rule of not allowing his athletes to be involved with each other...based on his own statistical data he said being involved with fellow athlete was not a good idea.
                            Peter R

Comment

Which event Yendi used to compete in?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X