I am done here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am done here

WESTERN BUREAU:After four years of setting out a swimming programme specifically geared to spur the development of Olympic calibre swimmers in the western region; and after pooling all her life savings into that realisation, founder of the Blue Marlin Swim Club, Rosemarie Logan, is calling it quits.

Her decision comes after vandals destroyed the $2 million, 25-metre competition-ready vinyl pool located at the Swim Place, Montego River Gardens, on Monday.

"I am done here," Logan told The Gleaner. "All my four years of investment, personal sacrifice and time is gone. These people have, in effect, ended the dreams of our children with this most cruel act."

The pool, which was vandalised on Monday, held 56,000 gallons of water with a capacity for 40 swimmers.

"This is the only competition-ready pool in the region. In fact, outside of the Olympic-size swimming pool at Independence Park (National Stadium), this is the only such one and I am so hurt by the fact that people saw it fit to destroy it," said Logan, who nurtured young talents Joshua Davis and MoBay High School's top swimmer, Hanna Johnson, in the very same pool.

The Swim Place, which is home to the Blue Marlin Swim Club and training facility of upcoming stars Johnson, Joshua Davis, Rin Gyles and Brianna Lemonte, among others, recently staged a successful swim challenge meet, which was used to gauge the readiness of their swimmers for upcoming competition in Kingston.

adverse effect

Logan fears the pool's destruction will now have an adverse effect on the young swimmers.

"Our swimmers were building their future in swimming here. It was in this pool that many were taught the basics and how to compete and just after having a great swim challenge we are faced with this?

"Whoever did this, I hope they are proud of themselves, knowing they have put an end to the dreams and aspirations of these children. But I am done. I will be packing up before heading off to put my investment in Cuba where my husband is from," Logan insists, adding that it would cost her too much to reinvest in the programme without assistance.

"Neither the Government, the local authorities or the people in this country are serious about the country's development or the children's success," she said.

The facility had cost Logan $500,000 per year in upkeep and operation.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

What a sad story. Can't blame the lady at all. I would be bitter as well.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

then when people don't help we blame them and their entities. Ah bwoy. Sad indeed. Most of the time we are our worst enemy.

Couple that with this

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports8.html
      Last edited by Assasin; May 18, 2013, 08:57 AM.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What is it exactly that they would vandalize in a vinyl swimming pool. I can"t imagine. I guess the pump and filter system has some good resale value. Things really bad!

Comment

People Power !!

Comment

You had to politicise it with your crap, didn't you?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem not looking for nuttin to tief...just bad mind *****s...destroy cause they can't build...

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
                WESTERN BUREAU:After four years of setting out a swimming programme specifically geared to spur the development of Olympic calibre swimmers in the western region; and after pooling all her life savings into that realisation, founder of the Blue Marlin Swim Club, Rosemarie Logan, is calling it quits.

Her decision comes after vandals destroyed the $2 million, 25-metre competition-ready vinyl pool located at the Swim Place, Montego River Gardens, on Monday.

"I am done here," Logan told The Gleaner. "All my four years of investment, personal sacrifice and time is gone. These people have, in effect, ended the dreams of our children with this most cruel act."

The pool, which was vandalised on Monday, held 56,000 gallons of water with a capacity for 40 swimmers.

"This is the only competition-ready pool in the region. In fact, outside of the Olympic-size swimming pool at Independence Park (National Stadium), this is the only such one and I am so hurt by the fact that people saw it fit to destroy it," said Logan, who nurtured young talents Joshua Davis and MoBay High School's top swimmer, Hanna Johnson, in the very same pool.

The Swim Place, which is home to the Blue Marlin Swim Club and training facility of upcoming stars Johnson, Joshua Davis, Rin Gyles and Brianna Lemonte, among others, recently staged a successful swim challenge meet, which was used to gauge the readiness of their swimmers for upcoming competition in Kingston.

adverse effect

Logan fears the pool's destruction will now have an adverse effect on the young swimmers.

"Our swimmers were building their future in swimming here. It was in this pool that many were taught the basics and how to compete and just after having a great swim challenge we are faced with this?

"Whoever did this, I hope they are proud of themselves, knowing they have put an end to the dreams and aspirations of these children. But I am done. I will be packing up before heading off to put my investment in Cuba where my husband is from," Logan insists, adding that it would cost her too much to reinvest in the programme without assistance.

"Neither the Government, the local authorities or the people in this country are serious about the country's development or the children's success," she said.

The facility had cost Logan $500,000 per year in upkeep and operation.
                Lover's revenge?
                parent of a kid?
                Did she refuse to pay 'tax?' I heard that even the church has to pay for protection.
                The question is why?
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

crap.. ?!

Yuh lucky.. feel like bun a church !

Comment

Why ??

Why does someone vote PNP (not talking di Garrison people dem) ?

Yuh nuh si Jamaica ah one mad place ?

Comment

I guess it's People Power when some ole trash from St. Thomas feel say dem must be wearing Rolex watch tuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What's the St Thomas reference about?

Comment

http://chatychaty.com/2013/04/is-the...-on-the-watch/

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...-bail_14279021

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks don't see anything specifically on St Thomas but I guess one of the characters must be from there!?

Comment

Sorry!

Kayon Treasure Campbell is from St. Thomas. He's the lifelong bredren of JLP MP James Robertson, whose constituency is in St. Thomas.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X