RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, No Major Global Track Meet Next Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, No Major Global Track Meet Next Year?

I’ve seen the statement, “No major global track meet next year” embedded in one or two track and field comments online. However, this thinking is a fallacy, and I chalk it up to genuine forgetfulness on the part of those posters.

“So, what’s the big deal, Historian,” you’re probably asking yourself.

Well, the facts will show the following:

2013: IAAF World Championships (Moscow, Russia)
    2014: IAAF World Relays (Nassau, Bahamas)
    2015: IAAF World Relays (Nassau, Bahamas)
    2015: IAAF World Championships (Beijing, China)

And, just in case you’re thinking of a suitable rebuttal, the IAAF World Relays will obviously, by its very nature, include EVERY outstanding sprinter and middle distance runner.

The IAAF World Relays next year and in 2015 will be as follows:

4x100-meter relay
    4x200-meter relay
    4x400-meter relay
    4x800-meter relay
    4x1500-meter relay

Does any serious country dare leave their best sprinters at home? With this in mind, the only athletes who will get a break next year are the field events athletes (that is, the jumpers and throwers).

A Commendable Effort!

I for one look forward to the IAAF World Relays next year. The cash prizes are attractive, and each country will be forced to send a team of their very best track athletes (sprinters and middle-distance runners). Much respect to the IAAF for this additional effort at raising the profile of track and field worldwide and maintaining interest in athletics.

One concern of mine is this: Few Caribbean countries can put together a single world class relay team. We see this, for example, in the fact that in recent times Jamaica is the ONLY Caribbean country that has fielded a senior women’s 4x400-meter relay team at the global level. This particular failing is also displayed at the Carifta Games level, where usually only three or four regional countries are able to field an Under-20 Girls’ 4x400-meter relay team.

On the other hand, this event will attract not only the great sprinters like Bolt and Gay and Jeter and Fraser-Pryce, but also the middle distance powers like Kenya and Ethiopia.

Comment

Is this event just for senior athletes? Just wonder how many actual races there will be.

I agree, a great addition to the T&F calendar.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I think only for seniors

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        Is this event just for senior athletes? Just wonder how many actual races there will be.

I agree, a great addition to the T&F calendar.
        Good question. As far as I’m aware, it is for national senior teams, just like the regular IAAF World Championships is. Aside from the 4x100m, 4x200m, 4x400m, 4x800m and 4x1500m for both men and women, I am not aware of any other events.

This two-day event will have total prize money of $1.4 to be divided up among the competitors. The World Relays will also act as a qualifier for the 2015 IAAF World Championships, with the 2015 version serving as a qualifier for the 2016 Olympic Games.

As IAAF President Lamine Diack said, “The wonderful athletics competition in London has not only reinforced the appeal of our sport but specifically the popularity of relay races, which the spectators find dramatic and exciting.”

For more info: http://www.iaaf.org/news/iaaf-news/i...relays-competi

Comment

Important opportunity to set a time to place among the top 16 in the world to be eligible for the 2015 Worlds!

That is a MAJOR incentive.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            Important opportunity to set a time to place among the top 16 in the world to be eligible for the 2015 Worlds!

That is a MAJOR incentive.
            That’s right.

I’m hoping, however, that the Bahamian sports authorities didn’t take up more than they can handle (see the newspaper link below):

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/ind...orts&Itemid=50

Also, the newly built national stadium has a seating capacity of 15,000. If the worldwide promotion of this event is successful, will the 15,000 seats be sufficient?

Comment

Jamaica better go on standby.

This should have been scheduled for Jam at the start! America does not seem interested.

We have practice from WJG 2002. Bah nuh ready for this yet..the most dem ever host is CSC Juniors...too much of a leap!

Comment

Not true, Willi

Jamaica better go on standby.

This should have been scheduled for Jam at the start! America does not seem interested.

We have practice from WJG 2002. Bah nuh ready for this yet..the most dem ever host is CSC Juniors...too much of a leap!
                I agree with you, but you are clearly forgetting that the Bahamas hosted the Central American and Caribbean Championships (CAC) senior meet in 2005. Surely you will remember that brief debate we both had next door on your site when I tried to convince you that the Bahamas had a superior 4x400-meter relay team and so would place above Jamaica in the 2005 IAAF World Championships?

(I was certain about my claim, and it turned out to be right.)

Comment

That is the one I was referring to. Bolt was there but as he was still a Junior, I thought it was juniors. Lancefors Spence was there so it must have been seniors.

My point still stands...WJG trumps CAC Games.

Comment

That's True

That is the one I was referring to. Bolt was there but as he was still a Junior, I thought it was juniors. Lancefors Spence was there so it must have been seniors.

My point still stands...WJG trumps CAC Games.
                    And you are absolutely correct. The IAAF World Junior Championships is a global event which the world’s top junior athletes take seriously. The CAC, on the other, is a half-heartedly supported regional meet. (And yes, Lanceford Spence and Bolt were at the 2005 CAC, with Bolt easily winning the 200-meter race and Spence winning the 400-meter race from lane 1.)

By the way, I just made the connection between the statements “Jamaica better go on standby” and “We have practice from WJG 2002” with the Nassau Guardian sports report I posted (lol). Sometimes my thinking is slow (lol).

Comment

Working...
                    X