Jamaica's Moscow 4 x 100s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica's Moscow 4 x 100s

Women: Kerron Stewart, Sherone Simpson, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Sheri Ann Brooks.

Reserves: Carrie Russell, Schillonie Calvert

Realistic result? SILVER

Men: Usian Bolt, Nesta Carter, Warren Weir, Kemmar Bailey-Cole

Reserves: Nickel Ashmeade, Asafa Powell

Realistic result? Gold/SILVER
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Agreed!
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Not My Team....

Karl, my friend, I am not sure what reason you have for placing Sheri-Ann Brooks on anchor, unless it’s because you genuinely want to start a serious debate among us track and field lovers (lol)! I’ve never once, over the past decade, seen Sheri-Ann run anchor for Jamaica! Even in 2005 at the CAC Championships, she ran backstretch (Danielle Browne started and Peta-Gaye Dowdie ran anchor for the gold in that 4x100-meter race). She also did not run anchor at the 2006 Commonwealth Games or the 2007 IAAF World Championshipa.

The only thing I like about your team is that Sherone Simpson is on the backstretch.

I could guess on another lineup for the women, but I absolutely dislike predicting because even a rank amateur can get it right at times!!

Any way we place it, Jamaica is NOT likely to win the gold medal in the women’s 4x100-meter relay in Moscow (as we last did in a relatively slow time back in 2009 in Berlin). Also, it might be useful to note yet again that Jamaica still has not won a women’s 4x100-meter relay with the USA women ALSO crossing the finish line!! In the three times we won (1991 at the Tokyo IAAF World Championships, 2004 at the Athens Olympic Games and 2009 at the Berlin IAAF World Championships), the USA was either not in the finals or did not finish the race.

In the case of the men, why would we want to have Usain Bolt as starter? Nesta Carter has proven himself to be the GREATEST starter in world relay history (starting off on three world record-smashing relay teams is no joke!!!! Nobody else has ever done this!!!!) and so he should remain in this position.

I can see Bolt running EITHER the curve or the anchor (if Powell makes the team I would most definitely have Bolt on curve and Powell on anchor. Of course, in Powell’s case, I’m going by precedents from the 2006 Commonwealth Games, the 2007 IAAF World Championships and the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games).

I have no idea of a line-up for Jamaica’s 4x100-meter men as yet! However, with Blake not likely to be on the team, I won’t wager a bet on our chances for a fifth consecutive global gold!! Simply put, I do not think Jamaica will win the gold in 2013.

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Women: Kerron Stewart, Sherone Simpson, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Sheri Ann Brooks.

Reserves: Carrie Russell, Schillonie Calvert

Realistic result? SILVER

Men: Usian Bolt, Nesta Carter, Warren Weir, Kemmar Bailey-Cole

Reserves: Nickel Ashmeade, Asafa Powell

Realistic result? Gold/SILVER

Comment

I don't think that was a running order though Historian, just the pool in no particular order. Karl is not THAT crazy, LOL.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I Didn't Realize That, I'man

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          I don't think that was a running order though Historian, just the pool in no particular order. Karl is not THAT crazy, LOL.
          Well, I hope you are correct, I’man .

I interpreted it (most likely incorrectly) as the running order. My apologies if I am indeed wrong. Nevertheless, what is Karl’s logic for placing Sheri-Ann Brooks on the team above Schillonie Calvert? I have criticized Schillonie on this message board in the past, but I suspect that the worst is behind her.

In fact, looking closer at Karl’s post, the only thing I agree with are the women’s team reserves Calvert and Russell, and we really do not have much of a choice here, do we? Aleen Bailey, a very, very bright star back in the late 1990s (Carifta Games, 1999 Pan Am Games and 1999 IAAF World Championships and a vital role on all our relay teams since 2004), is obviously finished, and this is truly sad! Also, Samantha Henry-Robinson impresses no one, I suspect, and the present crop of 100-meter hurdlers are useless here (unlike the days of hurdlers Gillian Russell and Brigitte Foster-Hylton). Finally, is Anneisha McLaughlin not capable of contributing?

Karl’s reserves are almost a foregone conclusion, as we have little choice. History has made an about turn, and today our men are stepping up to the plate while our women are clearly faltering!

I hope there is serious extended debate within this excellent thread that Karl has started on this rather boring sports forum!

Comment

Very interesting comments, Historian.
            Sorry I misled you into thinking that I named the athletes in running order. That was not my aim.

Shelly-Ann will have to be the anchor on the women team...and either Asafa or Bolt on the men.

Again on the men - Depending on the line-up Nesta Carter runs either in his familiar starting position or 'the bend'=3rd leg. ...as starter we have the luxury of using either Nesta Carter, Asafa Powell or Warren Weir!!! Carter and Weir are excellent turn runners... On his day there is no starter in the world faster than Asafa Powell.

...in Asafa's case there is also his track record on having run the very fastest anchor leg (electronic timing) in history! Not even the great Usain Bolt has matched Asafa's top time over that final leg.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

-

Sheri Ann Brooks?
                I think with the stick in hand she steps it up a notch. She has run a few excellent legs for us in the past.

She is currently knocking around 11.05/.07 100M.

Comment

Much Respect, Karl Boss!

No doubt you’re referring to Asafa’s memorable 4x100-meter anchor leg at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing! That I will never ever forget (I still occasionally watch my DVD recording of this race), and it is one of the reasons why I NEVER criticize Asafa Powell online or even off! Quite simply, the man is one of the greatest sprinters in history, but also someone who had the misfortune to come up short on several occasions when it mattered.

Karl, do you recall Asafa’s anchor on the 4x100-meter at the 2006 Commonwealth Games? He was so angry at the end of the race, as he badly wanted the Commonwealth Games record!

I keep making passing references to 2006 because, regardless of what the international media like to suggest about Beijing 2008, Jamaica’s current sprint dominance actually started at that Commonwealth Games in Australia! I have stated this repeatedly here. In fact, the only sprint shortcomings in 2006 were in the women’s 4x400-meter relay, where one of the three Williams women dropped the baton on the final exchange, and the men’s 4x400-meter relay, where we failed to medal.

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  Very interesting comments, Historian.
                  Sorry I misled you into thinking that I named the athletes in running order. That was not my aim.

Shelly-Ann will have to be the anchor on the women team...and either Asafa or Bolt on the men.

Again on the men - Depending on the line-up Nesta Carter runs either in his familiar starting position or 'the bend'=3rd leg. ...as starter we have the luxury of using either Nesta Carter, Asafa Powell or Warren Weir!!! Carter and Weir are excellent turn runners... On his day there is no starter in the world faster than Asafa Powell.

...in Asafa's case there is also his track record on having run the very fastest anchor leg (electronic timing) in history! Not even the great Usain Bolt has matched Asafa's top time over that final leg.

Comment

2006 Commonwealth Games - 4 x 100M Men

Not too clearly defined images...but this puts a smile on my face every time.
                    That we won makes it double sweet.

Enjoy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RsBAyEjGCFg

....clearer video...
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtP9tzw998

Agreed 2006 Commonwealth Games showed our coming of age.
                    Last edited by Karl; July 3, 2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

The problems we have on stick changes... The difference

maker for our Women since 2009 = The stick slows...slows significantly on the changes:

2009 World Championships -
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wePS9E4Uuxk

Ato Bolton speaks of our ladies putting on a clinic...it seems that he meant no "bobbling of the stick" and not that the passes as it relates to baton speed through 'the zone' was spot on.

2011 World Championships - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scR4Wf82rqM

2012 Olympics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sAfhf_u_QBI

Our incoming runners slow...and therefore slow the speed of the baton...+ our outgoing runners move out conservatively contributing to slowing of the baton.

We need to be as sharp and bold as the USA ladies. That takes much practice and building of complete faith in pair of changing partners on each. exchange.

Comment

Asafa? Just to be clear...

...the TEAM to Moscow, as far as I know, has not been named. The JAAA has not selected the TEAM.

However the JAAA's rules and regulations that I have found - http://www.trackandfieldja.com/nmcms...ration&show=24 - includes stipulations that allows for athletes who did not place either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the events which those JAAA rules and regulations mandate that some member of the various relay pools will be drawn, can be made.

It is based on my understanding of those JAAA rules and regulations that I am holding out hope that a fit, fast=100M at or below legal 9.95sec. Asafa Powell will be added to the 4 x 100M Men relay pool and on the actual team run.

Aside: I think as it now stands of our fit men only Bolt has run a legal time at or under 9.94sec for the 100M. If I am incorrect please list the others.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X