Bolt's going down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt's going down

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Tyson Gay is finally injury-free and says he has "no excuses" for not beating Usain Bolt.

The fastest man in the world this year, Gay acknowledged his frustration yesterday at dealing with hip, groin and hamstring pain while Bolt piled up world records and gold medals.

"It just was maddening for so long," said the American, who won sprint double gold at the 2007 World Championships before Bolt started dominating the following year.

"It's finally over and done with," Gay told reporters ahead of his headline appearance in the 100 at the Athletissima Diamond League meeting today.

"I have no excuses, I have no pain. I feel good. I am over the mental part of being injured," said the sprinter, whose 31st birthday next month falls on the eve of the Worlds opening in Moscow.

Now Gay wants Bolt, who skips Athletissima to run a 200 in Paris on Saturday, to arrive in Russia in the same great shape. Double Olympic silver medallist Yohan Blake is the actual world champion at 100 — after Bolt famously false-started in Daegu, South Korea — though the Jamaican number two has had a hamstring injury since April.

"I hope Usain stays healthy and may the best man win," Gay said. "It's no secret that this guy is a championship performer and you have to bring your 'A' game to beat him, or better than your 'A' game."

Gay showed his readiness by winning the 100 and 200 metres at the US championships last month, clocking world-leading times of 9.75 and 19.74 seconds, respectively.

Confidence flows from his body after standing up in Des Moines, Iowa, to the same intense programme of heats, semi-finals and finals which await in Moscow.

"I felt me doing the double was a hump I had to get over myself. I hadn't done it in five years," Gay said.

Gay pointed to changes in his coaching set-up and approach, prioritising his body over going flat-out fast all the time.

"It just is all to do with trying to stay healthy," said Gay, adding he is working only with longtime coach Lance Baumann and not — for now — with Jon Drummond, who joined the sprinter's team ahead of his 2007 season. The new approach involves "taking things slower" and picking spots to post fast times in practice.

After seasons of Jamaican domination, at major events and on the Diamond League circuit, Americans can take centre stage today.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2YAn7UdAg
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Let’s see….

Let’s see….
    Tyson Gay’s 100m PB is 9.69
    Usain Bolt’s 100m PB is 9.58

Tyson Gay’s 200m PB is 19.58
    Usain Bolt’s 200m PB is 19.19

One is clearly more super-human than the other. Still, on any given day anything can happen, as Asafa Powell showed us in such agonizingly clear ways in 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Let’s see….
      Tyson Gay’s 100m PB is 9.69
      Usain Bolt’s 100m PB is 9.58

Tyson Gay’s 200m PB is 19.58
      Usain Bolt’s 200m PB is 19.19

One is clearly more super-human than the other. Still, on any given day anything can happen, as Asafa Powell showed us in such agonizingly clear ways in 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

have to think that at this point in time Gay will have his ticket based on current form....

IF they are both at their best at the WC, its going to be an epic race...

lets see what Bolt does over the weekend when runs the 200M and next week the 100M.
      Last edited by Twan; July 5, 2013, 09:56 AM.
      Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

si what happen when di Beast out of commission..

Madness abounds..

Comment

2012, 2013

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Usain ah di best rounds runnah dem evah did si, ah like how dem a boost Gay. Him form good yes, but Usain ah guh done him once for all an put dis argument to bed, read him ah bed time story. Di big man love run di rounds dem, dat jus chune him up real good. If wi nuh know dat yet den wi ah sleep.

Comment

I Know, But....

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              2012, 2013
              Gamma , I am a huge supporter of Asafa Powell, who I credit as the Renaissance Man of Jamaican track and field. Prior to Asafa, track fans in Jamaica and around the world were screaming only female names like Veronica, Merlene, Judith and Grace, with whimsical references to 1970s and 1980s stars like Don Quarry and Raymond Stewart, respectively.

Asafa came and re-charged our expectations in remarkable ways, and so I plan to ALWAYS support him. Yeah, I am aware of the two years you mentioned, but I deliberately did not include them because his injuries were the dominant factor.

Comment

If they are both at their best?

Bolt at his best is unbeatable.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

His biggest injury ... Between the ears unfortunately. And I do agree with you. Asafa is a Franno creation and one they both should be proud of.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                  X