RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could There Be A Gold Medal For Blessing In Moscow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could There Be A Gold Medal For Blessing In Moscow?

COULD THERE BE A GOLD MEDAL FOR BLESSING IN MOSCOW?

I am officially going on record saying that Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare is in the medal hunt for the women’s 100-metres in Moscow. I will further go on record saying that Shelly Ann Frazer-Pryce had better get it right there or else the John Smith-coached Nigerian sprinter/long jumper could possibly take the coveted gold medal.

Okagbare was dragged kicking and screaming from the tiny little town of Texas El Paso where she attended school back in 2011 as her shoe sponsors Nike wanted to have Smith, the sprint guru, mould her prodigious talent into something spectacular.

The Nigerian had been quite content to remain in El Paso but made the move. It paid off almost immediately as she made it to the Olympic finals in London last year. She finished last but not to be overlooked was the time -11.01s- that she produced in the finals after taking her semi-final heats in 10.92s.

Fast forward to the new season and Blessing came has come out showing that she is an improved model. In May in Shanghai, she chased down and caught Carmelita Jeter, the reigning world champion, but finished second to Frazer-Pryce in 10.96. Jeter pulled up with an injury late in the race but there can’t be any doubt that injury or not, it seemed as if the Nigerian was going to pass Jeter regardless. At the Prefontaine Classic in Oregon in June, on a fast track and in ideal sprinting conditions, she blazed to a 10.75 clocking in slightly windy conditions, 2.2 m/s, storming past Veronica Campbell Brown to once again take second behind Jamaica’s pocket rocket who won in 10.71.

The greatest indicator yet that she has been closing the gap between herself and the two-time Olympic 100-m champion was in Paris on July 7 when Okagbare stormed through the field late to finish 0.01 seconds shy of Frazer-Pryce’s 10.92. In was even more instructive that had she run through the tape she could have handed the Jamaican darling her first loss over the 100 metres this season. Instead, perhaps too eager for the line, she started dipping from 10 metres out and almost fell but still lost by the smallest of margins.

I know we can all argue that Frazer-Pryce did not get a great start, but neither did the Nigerian, who closed like a runaway train. She beat Frazer-Pryce going 200m just over a week before and it is clear she is not intimidated by the Jamaican or anyone else for that matter. It can also be argued that Frazer-Pryce is in preparation mode for the World Championships and is not at her sharpest, but we can also assume that Okagbare is in similar mode five weeks before the start of the championships on August 10.

It is likely that Jeter will not be factor in Moscow, given that she has looked quite ordinary in the two 200-metre races she has had since coming back from the injury she suffered in Shanghai. There will also be no Campbell-Brown who is facing possible suspension from competition and that opens up the field in the women’s short sprint.

The field should look something like this: Frazer-Pryce, Kelli-Ann Baptiste, Kerron Stewart, Ivet Lalova, Murielle Ahoure, and perhaps English Gardener, Sherone Simpson. In this field as is, only one athlete is this year better in the 100 metres than the Nigerian, who has beaten everyone this season over the 100m and 200m.

Will the rounds be a factor? Perhaps. But with the Nigerian being stronger and faster than ever, her exertions should be minimal advancing to the finals. Should that be the case, it’s hard to see anyone except Frazer-Pryce getting the better of her. If not, the gold could very well be hers.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

ah wha duh dem people yah ?

If Blessin nuh ready fi guh sub 10.75 she bettah tek a liking to silvah !

Comment

Nothing Wrong With What The Writer Said!

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
      ah wha duh dem people yah ?

If Blessin nuh ready fi guh sub 10.75 she bettah tek a liking to silvah !

I see nothing wrong with the comments in that blog. Read the first paragraph again! What is wrong with the view the writer expressed? Answer: Nothing, as it is a logical view based on performances so far.

Also, Muadib, remember that the race is won on the day when it’s run, and trust me, Okagbare is hungry for that gold! For example, could you have predicted that Shelly-Ann would have won the gold in 2008 (remember, Torri Edwards entered that finals with the fastest time in the world – 10.78 seconds). Could you have predicted that Warren Weir would have beaten experienced guys like Spearmon to take bronze in last year’s 200-meter race? Could you have predicted a sixth place finish for T&T’s Kelly-Ann Baptiste in the 100-meter last year in London or, even more shocking, Richard Thompson’s silver in Beijing 2008? And what about Kim Collins in 2003 and Justin Gatlin in 2004? Get the picture?

What I’m saying, and what the writer is observing, is that based on performances so far, his/her query about a possible Okagbare gold is not farfetched.

Having said all of that in defence of the blogger, I will state that if I were a betting man, I would place all my bets on Shelly-Ann Fraser! Without hesitation! Like Usain Bolt, she is a big-meet performer who shines best under the brightest lights.

BTW, I hope you enjoyed the creative use of alliteration in my title above (lol).

Comment

A blessing in disguise?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

What is wrong is what Shelly is running now is irrelevant.. him need to simply show dat Blessing can be ready to run 10.7's come Moscow or stap chat bout Gold..

Bout Shelly had better get it right.. him facety.. Him know her pedigree ?

Comment

an she bettah bi ready kah Shelly ah guh ready fi sure, suh mek dem gwaan look fi clues. Shelly jus like Usain when champ'ships come is diffran story.

Comment

Working...
            X