• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weir builds his list of wonderful accomplishments

Weir leads trio of Jamaican winners in Hungary

BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    Thursday, July 11, 2013

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Olympic 200m bronze medallist Warren Weir led a trio of Jamaican winners at yesterday's Istvan Gyulai Memorial meet in Budapest, Hungary.

The national senior 200m champion won his pet event, while Rose Marie Whyte and Andrew Riley were also winners.

Warren Weir

Weir ran a meet record 20.01 seconds to beat training partner Jason Young, who continues to improve with a season's best 20.07 seconds, while another Jamaican, Mario Forsythe, was sixth in 20.88 seconds.

Weir's run was adjudged the meet's top performance and he took home the Bojidar Spiriev award.

Whyte, a two-time Olympic finalist, won the 400m in 51.20 seconds to beat American Monica Hargrove, while another Jamaican, Shericka Williams, finished fourth in 52.28 seconds.

Riley, who last week became the second fastest Jamaican ever over the 110m hurdles when he ran a personal best 13.14 seconds, won with 13.27 seconds, just beating world champion Jason Richardson (13.28 seconds) and another American, Kevin Craddock, who ran a personal best 13.42 seconds.

Kemar Bailey Cole with 10.07 seconds and Jacques Harvey with 10.18 seconds finished second and third, respectively, in the men's 100m behind Kim Collins in 9.99 seconds.

The 37-year-old Collins ran a new St Kitts national record 9.97 seconds last week.

Central American and Caribbean Games bronze medallist Aleen Bailey was seventh in the women's 100m in 11.53 seconds, with American Carmelita Jeter winning for the first time in months after an injury layoff, running 11.07 seconds.

Ristananna Tracey was second in the 400m hurdles in 54.94 seconds, while Shevon Stoddart was eighth in 56.74 seconds and Shermaine Williams placed fifth in the 100m hurdles in 13.27 seconds.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2YkABM1m8
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

...and what the heck has gone wrong with Rosemary Whyte

...and *Shericka Williams?

Shericka "Wire" Williams has stepped waaaaaaaaaaay back. It is a hell of a drop-off from 49.2+ to 52 change for the 400M...that is about running just about 30 meters slower.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Hmmmm

Compare Weir to Asafa. Makes his name on the biggest stage FIRST and then o. The circuit .... Asafa makes his name on the circuit and still has not made a name for himself on the biggest of stages.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I Wish I Could Argue With You!

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        Hmmmm

Compare Weir to Asafa. Makes his name on the biggest stage FIRST and then o. The circuit .... Asafa makes his name on the circuit and still has not made a name for himself on the biggest of stages.
        As much as I love Asafa, I cannot argue with you, Gamma. What you just stated are the plain facts, cold as they may seem!

Weir might seem laid-back, but there is no question that he is a natural fighter! He proved that beyond the shadow of a doubt by his masterful performance under the bright lights in London last year, and I expect continued great things from this talented sprinter in the future.

Comment

This One Puzzles Me As Well

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          ...and *Shericka Williams?

Shericka "Wire" Williams has stepped waaaaaaaaaaay back. It is a hell of a drop-off from 49.2+ to 52 change for the 400M...that is about running just about 30 meters slower.
          Karl, Shericka Williams, even more than Rosemarie Whyte, has me puzzled. I still remember Shericka’s excellent final 60-70 meters in the 400-meter in Beijing! In fact, she not only passed Sanya, but she was closing in on Ohouguru.

Then, to prove this was no fluke, she repeated her silver medal run the following year in Berlin.

I’m still trying to figure out what happened since 2009. Rosemarie at least had major injuries, but I cannot recall Shericka suffering the same problem. I am open to correction if I’m wrong with Shericka having no major injuries in recent times.

Comment

Right!! ah trying to figure out wah guh wrong miself, but it seem like a mystery; ah kyaan figure out dis one at all.

Comment

You may never know, it may just be a mental thing. See Sanya now having a ruff year now too.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sanya took time off...and had an injury.

Comment

btw - Historian: Another great puzzle is Kaliese Spenser ---

Kaliese Spencer
                  Personal bests

400 metres hurdles 52.79 - Crystal Palace, London, United Kingdom - 5 August 2011

400 metres 50.55 - Azusa, California, United States - 18 April 2008

...and just last year she did a very good 53.66 for 4th at the Olympics!!!
                  Last edited by Karl; July 11, 2013, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X