• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will She Dominate the Sprints?!

Athletics: Okagbare’ll Soon Rule The World — Manager

Published on August 1, 2013 by pmnews ·

•Okagbare

Manager of Nigerian sprint sensation, Blessing Okagbare, has tipped the athlete to dominate female athletics just as World record holder, Usain Bolt, is doing in the men’s category.

Paul Doyle, who manages Okagbare and other A-list athletes like Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell, said that the 24-year old has the capabilities of going on to become a great athlete.

Okagbare showed what she could do last Saturday when at the Anniversary Games of the Olympics in London, she defeated all comers to win the women’s 100m race.

“I think Okagbare will be the greatest athlete that this sport has ever seen in a couple of years time,” Doyle said on Brila FM.

“I think she is capable of being the Usain Bolt on the women’s side.

“She is naturally gifted and still very young and I believe that in a couple of years, she will dominate this sport,” he added. Doyle further said that Okagbare will be one of the athletes to watch out for at the forthcoming World Athletics Championship in Moscow, Russia.

Okagbare broke two African records in London, the first 10.86secs in the heat and the new one 10.79secs in the finals.

She is 24 so not that young. If its the last thing Franno does, him will ensure seh Shelly Whoops here to spite Doyle.

10.65s mi seh fi Shelly with anything over +1.0ms

Comment

Him still manage Asafa?

Comment

I Am Not Brushing Okagbare Aside

Originally posted by Willi View Post
        She is 24 so not that young. If its the last thing Franno does, him will ensure seh Shelly Whoops here to spite Doyle.

10.65s mi seh fi Shelly with anything over +1.0ms
        But there’s no guarantee that Blessing Okagbare cannot win the gold in the 100-meter dash! Sure, Franno will have Shelly-Ann ready, but I suspect that Okagbare’s coach is working to do likewise with his charge. Who would have thought that Okagbare would blossom into a 10.70s sprinter this year?

To me, the big question is how well Okagbare can handle the rounds, plus her start remains an issue. (I still recall Okagbare’s very impressive semi-final last year in London when she came all the way from the back and walked down Tianna Madison for the top spot.)

While Shelly-Ann is my sentimental choice, I have very little objective reason to believe that Okagbare cannot create an upset!

Also, aside from raw patriotism, I have no reason to expect 10.65 from Shelly-Ann.

Comment

Go watch the London GP SF 10.77s run again.

Shelly working on her phases...

She ran 10.70s last year with a +0.6ms win.

Tek sleep and mark death. The smiling assassin rules...

Comment

Yuh blind ?

Yuh nuh si Shelly Ann run 10.77 in the heats with EASE..

What yuh need.. a compass ?

Comment

Not brushing her aside but winning the 100 at WC is no joke business, takes a lot more than talent and desire. Also that celebration at the London meet was of someone who was surprised to win that race on multiple levels, psychologically she is not ready and her winning in London puts a lot of pressure on her now, lets see what she is made of! Last time she stubbed toe under pressure.

Comment

"A-list athletes like Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell"

"...will be the greatest athlete that this sport has ever seen in a couple of years time”

Comment

Originally posted by world fan View Post
                  "A-list athletes like Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell"

"...will be the greatest athlete that this sport has ever seen in a couple of years time”
                  Garbage
                  Assuming she can fulfill her obvious talent one doesn't rise from her moderate status to global superstardom in a few years... which years don't include an Olympics

Well.... unless she breaks the unreachable Women's 100m WR... wake wi up den
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Interesting Points, But....

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                    Not brushing her aside but winning the 100 at WC is no joke business, takes a lot more than talent and desire. Also that celebration at the London meet was of someone who was surprised to win that race on multiple levels, psychologically she is not ready and her winning in London puts a lot of pressure on her now, lets see what she is made of! Last time she stubbed toe under pressure.
                    Stoni, I agree that it takes “a lot more than talent and desire,” and I share your view about that crazy celebration by Okagbare at the London meet last week. Like you said, she was “surprised” as she most likely never expected to run that fast and lower the African national record again.

However, was her surprise much different from Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce’s in Beijing at the end of the 100-meter final? Also, is Okagbare’s pressure going into Moscow any greater than Shelly-Ann’s was in the case of Beijing (remember that a huge section of Jamaica was bawling for her to be replaced by Veronica)?

Making predictions is tricky business, boss, a fact I’ve learned from decades of closely following this sport.

To be frank, I’m not sure if you are correct in stating that “psychologically she (Okagbare) is not ready” for Moscow. She has been there before: she was in the 100-meter finals last year in London, even winning her semi-final heat, and as you may no doubt recall, she won the bronze medal in the long jump in Beijing back in 2008. She has also won gold and silver 100-meter medals in African championships. Her start is often horrible, as you can see if you watch a playback of last year’s 100-meter finals. But Okagbare is no newcomer, and we should recognize that.

Now, my personal prediction is that Shelly-Ann WILL win the gold medal – I strongly expect this and I would be very surprised if it doesn’t happen - but it does not mean that someone else (Okagbare, etc.) cannot win! In fact, Shelly last year in the 100-meter final in London actually ran a worse race (time and form) than she did at the Jamaica Olympic trials in Kingston.

I enjoy predicting among my friends and close contacts (in real life outside of cyberspace), and one day I might start a thread here on “shockers” (lol). Trust me, I’ve had my share, as you no doubt have as well . Tell me, Stoni, prior to the start of the 100-meter races at the 2004 Athens Olympics, did you expect Belarus’ Yuliya Nesterenko to completely dominate the 100-meter rounds as she did? Did you expect Danny McFarlane to win the silver medal in the 400-meter hurdles at that same Olympics? Did you expect Felix Sanchez to win the 400-meter hurdles last year in London?

Tell me, did you honestly expect Shelly-Ann to win the 2008 Olympic Games in a world-leading 10.78 seconds?

When all is said and done, races are won on the day they’re run.

Comment

You Are So Right!

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                      Garbage
                      Assuming she can fulfill her obvious talent one doesn't rise from her moderate status to global superstardom in a few years... which years don't include an Olympics

Well.... unless she breaks the unreachable Women's 100m WR... wake wi up den
                      Now this I can fully agree with. It’s definitely nonsense to predict that Okagbare will “rule the world”!! Imagine, the clown Doyle is even comparing her to Usain Bolt!

While I feel that any one of several athletes, including Okagbare, can win the 100-meter race in Moscow, predicting global superstardom for her is a whole different matter! I am forced to agree with you that Paul Doyle is chatting “garbage” (in any case, what qualifies him to venture to even make such a statement?)!

Comment

mmm?
                        Interesting to see if she can come in the 100M before Shelly-Ann?
                        My money is on Shelly-Ann!!!

The bullet start and 10.60+ by Shelly-Ann Fraser?
                        I think it is possible!!!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                          Now this I can fully agree with. It’s definitely nonsense to predict that Okagbare will “rule the world”!! Imagine, the clown Doyle is even comparing her to Usain Bolt!

While I feel that any one of several athletes, including Okagbare, can win the 100-meter race in Moscow, predicting global superstardom for her is a whole different matter! I am forced to agree with you that Paul Doyle is chatting “garbage” (in any case, what qualifies him to venture to even make such a statement?)!

Why thank yew kindly Histy
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                          X