A Patty Shop Approach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at what the team management said, not what you said

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Tell me more bout dat, don't know anything about that.

Comment

As I understand it, they were places that would sell good home-cooked food. Old time Jamaicans like to speak of some that were well known.

Personally I don't remember the term being used in my childhood, in fact the first time I remember hearing the term was from Mutabaruka in his piece about Junk Food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmQaKKMMiVQ
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Interesting, so yuh think this was a pre independence thing in Kingston prior to rise of small affordable restaurants like Johnson's etc.

Comment

Thats the impression I get, that they were around up to the 60s.

It would be good to hear from some of the older forumites who remember them.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              Good analogy, but the traditional Jakan phrase is cold supper shop!
              Must have been a Spanish Town thing.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                Thats the impression I get, that they were around up to the 60s.

It would be good to hear from some of the older forumites who remember them.
                see Mo's response above.

Thanks
                Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Had to look it up. Found this interesting article. Can't believe someone brought up Myrtle Bank Hotel knowing the history most Jakans had with that place.
                  http://mobile.jamaica-gleaner.com/gl...7/out/out1.php

Comment

I wonder if the then young Issa was lunching there on the day Evon Blake jumped in the pool and all the "white" people got out immediately?

I see Mitsy is longing for her frogs legs at Terra Nova too...vintage Jamaican dining indeed.

Comment

"The Crossroads of the Caribbean, they called it - the world-famous Myrtle Bank Hotel. If you drive by Harbour Street, not far from the Bank of Jamaica, you can still see some of those tall royal palms standing in a straight line in an overgrown empty lot, leading down to the waterfront.
                      Whenever I drive by that spot, I can't help but imagine a glorious hotel in the midst of those palm trees. Saw some surveyors doing some work around there the other day. I wonder what they are up to?!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Funny stuff, I have been around that spot since when and even though I knew about the Hotel from the Evon Blake story, I don't think my brain ever made the connection that those palms trees are the same ones from the hotel until I saw that picture in the article this morning with the palm trees in front, I immediately went to google earth to check it out and though the trees are hard to see the shadows leave a wicked trail of palm trees going towards the waterfront.

Comment

Working...
                        X