RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'They're on their own'..Asafa and Sherone..so says Francis..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'They're on their own'..Asafa and Sherone..so says Francis..

'They're on their own'

Published: Saturday | August 10, 2013

Asafa Powell (left) and Sherone Simpson.-Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer

Francis

1 2 >
    Francis vows to kick Powell, Simpson out MVP unless ...

Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

MOSCOW, Russia:MVP Track Club head coach and founder, Stephen Francis, has made it clear that embattled sprinters Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson have lost his trust and will not be allowed to return to the club, unless they sever all ties with agent Paul Doyle, 'among others'.

Long-time club members Powell and Simpson both tested positive for the banned stimulant Oxilofrine at the national championships in June.

Francis minced no words as he blamed the pair for what he described as a cloud of doubt around the club, while defending his own position on their role with the club.

cut off all communication

Francis also stated that he has cut off all communication with the athletes and made it clear that he will not be working with Doyle anymore.

"Well, now I have no contact with them because I told them that they have to promise and decide to do things our way, if I was going to have any further dealings with them, because they really embarrassed us, embarrassed me and they were warned," Francis toldThe Gleaner.

Do it our way

"So far, they have not decided to do it our way so they are on their own and we can no longer trust them to do things the way we recommend, so that's the situation right now," Francis added.

"I have not heard anything from them and I assume that they are associated with the same people that caused all this, and as long as they associate themselves with those people - Paul Doyle among others - then I personally will not have any dealings with them as far as athletics is concerned."

"Every athlete is free, at any time, to leave MVP and I am also free to decide who I am going to coach. When something like this happens, there are very strong implications, even though it was an extremely trivial, frivolous and minor substance, it could have easily been something different," Francis added.

no choice

"So, as far as I am concerned, with Asafa and Sherone, that's the situation. If they are not prepared to do it my way, then I will no longer have any part with them," he added.

Francis insisted he had no choice but to take that position.

"Throw under the bus? They walked under the bus. We have enough rules set up in MVP to prevent this sort of thing form happening," said Francis. "I would be very stupid to continue.

"It's now the opinion of a lot of persons that MVP is now doing drugs, and their problems have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. They were very selfish in their behaviour," Francis stated.

Powell and Simpson are among five Jamaican track and field athletes who tested positive at the National Senior Championships. Both are expected to face a hearing in the coming week, after the results of their B samples are known.

Meanwhile, Tara Playfair, publicist for Asafa Powell, told The Gleaner the athlete would not comment on the matter.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports4.html
    Last edited by Karl; August 10, 2013, 09:23 AM.

He cannot be blamed for taking that position given where things are now. In fact as he said he would be stupid to do otherwise.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
      'They're on their own'

Published: Saturday | August 10, 2013

Asafa Powell (left) and Sherone Simpson.-Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer

Francis

1 2 >
      Francis vows to kick Powell, Simpson out MVP unless ...

Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

MOSCOW, Russia:MVP Track Club head coach and founder, Stephen Francis, has made it clear that embattled sprinters Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson have lost his trust and will not be allowed to return to the club, unless they sever all ties with agent Paul Doyle, 'among others'.

Long-time club members Powell and Simpson both tested positive for the banned stimulant Oxilofrine at the national championships in June.

Francis minced no words as he blamed the pair for what he described as a cloud of doubt around the club, while defending his own position on their role with the club.

cut off all communication

Francis also stated that he has cut off all communication with the athletes and made it clear that he will not be working with Doyle anymore.

"Well, now I have no contact with them because I told them that they have to promise and decide to do things our way, if I was going to have any further dealings with them, because they really embarrassed us, embarrassed me and they were warned," Francis toldThe Gleaner.

Do it our way

"So far, they have not decided to do it our way so they are on their own and we can no longer trust them to do things the way we recommend, so that's the situation right now," Francis added.

"I have not heard anything from them and I assume that they are associated with the same people that caused all this, and as long as they associate themselves with those people - Paul Doyle among others - then I personally will not have any dealings with them as far as athletics is concerned."

"Every athlete is free, at any time, to leave MVP and I am also free to decide who I am going to coach. When something like this happens, there are very strong implications, even though it was an extremely trivial, frivolous and minor substance, it could have easily been something different," Francis added.

no choice

"So, as far as I am concerned, with Asafa and Sherone, that's the situation. If they are not prepared to do it my way, then I will no longer have any part with them," he added.

Francis insisted he had no choice but to take that position.

"Throw under the bus? They walked under the bus. We have enough rules set up in MVP to prevent this sort of thing form happening," said Francis. "I would be very stupid to continue.

"It's now the opinion of a lot of persons that MVP is now doing drugs, and their problems have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. They were very selfish in their behaviour," Francis stated.

Powell and Simpson are among five Jamaican track and field athletes who tested positive at the National Senior Championships. Both are expected to face a hearing in the coming week, after the results of their B samples are known.

Meanwhile, Tara Playfair, publicist for Asafa Powell, told The Gleaner the athlete would not comment on the matter.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports4.html
      Willi was right. Nuff respect!
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

2nd dat Mr Francis
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Cuz mi talk to people. One I bucked up by accident in a US airport last Sunday...

Franno tek too long fi do this, IMHO.

Some things I heard mek Franno look long suffering.
          The Melaine saga...the full has not been told!

Comment

"They walked under the bus"

Comment

Having delved into this business, albeit from a different angle, I understand fully well how athletes behave.

No, don't even try the agent thing. Paul Doyle's role as agent for these athletes is very different from mine.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X