• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desmond Haynes in support of T20 cricket

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd have jumped at the chance to play T20 cricket' - Haynes
    Renaldo Matadeen
    August 14, 2013

Desmond Haynes, the former West Indies opener, has thrown his full support behind the Twenty20 bandwagon permeating throughout cricket today. Haynes, who once held the world record for the most ODI runs (8648), is currently coaching the Barbados Tridents in the first edition of the Caribbean Premier League. He highlighted the tournament as a case study of success.

"People focus too much on the cons and negatives but how many people look at the positives (of T20s)? This needs to come out more," Haynes said. "If I had T20 cricket to play in my day, I'd have jumped at it. Do you know how hard it was to earn a living back in my day? You had to travel all over the world to earn a living outside the international game. A lot of cricketers didn't get the chance to see their families often and to see their kids grow up. T20 offers the financial means to ply your trade and make a living, especially for younger players."

Full Story: http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindi...ry/662303.html
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd have jumped at the chance to play T20 cricket' - Haynes
    Renaldo Matadeen
    August 14, 2013

Desmond Haynes, the former West Indies opener, has thrown his full support behind the Twenty20 bandwagon permeating throughout cricket today. Haynes, who once held the world record for the most ODI runs (8648), is currently coaching the Barbados Tridents in the first edition of the Caribbean Premier League. He highlighted the tournament as a case study of success.

"People focus too much on the cons and negatives but how many people look at the positives (of T20s)? This needs to come out more," Haynes said. "If I had T20 cricket to play in my day, I'd have jumped at it. Do you know how hard it was to earn a living back in my day? You had to travel all over the world to earn a living outside the international game. A lot of cricketers didn't get the chance to see their families often and to see their kids grow up. T20 offers the financial means to ply your trade and make a living, especially for younger players."

Full Story: http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindi...ry/662303.html
    So true. This from the greatest batsman who ever lived. Just one man's opinion.

Comment

The captaincy should have gone to him instead of Lara. He is one of the better opening batsmen WI.

This is what i was hoping would have been happened with Jamaican football
      http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports3.html
      Hollywood actor Butler buys into Tallawahs

Published: Tuesday | August 20, 2013 1 Comment

Butler

KINGSTON, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Jamaica[/color][/color] (CMC):

A second Hollywood [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]actor[/color][/color], Gerard Butler, has taken an equity interest in a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Caribbean[/color][/color] Premier League (CPL) franchise Jamaica Tallawahs as the tournament heads for a climax this weekend.

Butler, who stars in a number of top movies such as Law Abiding Citizen and The Ugly Truth, is also planning to be in Trinidad on Friday to support the Tallawahs when they play Barbados Tridents in the second semi-final.

"It is obvious that this tournament is the home of the greatest party in sport, so I wanted to get in on the fun," said Butler.

"Having said that, as a Scotsman I definitely have an appreciation for cricket and I also recognise that the LCPL is a great combination of sports and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]entertainment[/color][/color]. I'm excited about joining the Jamaica Tallawahs franchise and, hopefully, being a part of the team that wins theinaugural tournament."

The Tallawahs ended the league with 10 points, equal with top-ranked Guyana Amazon Warriors who had a better net run rate.

"We are thrilled that Gerard has seen the enormous potential of the Limacol CPL and has taken an equity interest in the Jamaica Tallawahs," said Limacol CPL Chief Executive Officer Damien O'Donohoe.

"I think more people are realising its global appeal and how it is an experience like no other."

Last month, organisers announced that [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Hollywood [COLOR=blue !important]actor[/color][/color][/color] Mark Wahlberg, known for his starring roles in films such as Boogie Nights and Planet of the Apes, had taken an equity interest in the Barbados Tridents team.

Butler's next movie, How To Train Your Dragon 2, comes out in 2014.

"Celebrities owning sports teams is nothing new, but to have two Hollywood actors taking a vested interest in cricket teams is quite novel," said Ajmal Khan, chairman of Verus International and Founder of the Limacol CPL.

"I think it's a testament to the quality of the tournament, the carnival-party atmosphere, the music, the entertainment, the fans and the experience that only the Caribbean can deliver."

Comment

Working...
      X