X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Top 3 Most Memorable Performances

Personally Speaking: Top 3 Most Memorable Jamaican Performances

1. The women’s 4x100-meter relay final:
    In running the second fastest time in history by a women’s relay team (41.29), Carrie Russell, Kerron Stewart, Schillonie Calvert and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce not only wiped away a long-standing championship record, but they also made it clear to the world the wonderful depth of Jamaica’s talent pool. Our invaluable backstretch and curve runners Sherone Simpson and Veronica Campbell-Brown were not on the team, so there was no way under the sun that an ostensibly weakened Jamaican team could run any type record. Well, this supposedly weakened Jamaican team turned out to be the fastest Jamaican team in history!

Note: The previous IAAF World Championships women’s 4x100-meter record (41.47) was set 16 years ago by the remarkable USA team of Chryste Gaines, Marion Jones, Inger Miller and Gail Devers (on anchor) at the 1997 World Championships in Athens.

2. Anchor Leg of the Men’s 4x400-meter relay:
    As I watched my DVD recording of this event once again yesterday evening, I couldn’t help wishing that the great Herb McKenley were alive to see what Javon Francis single-handedly did! And it was indeed “single-handedly” after an ordinary performance by the third leg runner. With a confidence and determination far beyond his years, young Francis took Jamaica from fifth position straight to a silver medal, in the process restoring the faith of his countrymen and women that producing genuine world class quarter milers is once again possible.

3. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce’s 100-meter run:
    Our beautiful, charming, pink-weaved princess made the 100-meter final a startling affair as she blew away all opposition in the biggest margin of victory in the history of the World Championships! To be frank, it’s a bit difficult to find adequate words to describe this out-of-the-world performance by Shelly-Ann, and I remember thinking to myself as I watched open-mouthed, “A junior high school athlete among elementary school children!”

Most Satisfying Situation:
    Seeing my darling Schillonie Calvert healthy and contributing immensely to a world class performance senior team. As in the case of my other precious jewel Simone Facey, I have followed Schillonie’s career closely since her years as a junior, and I had almost reached the stage of giving up on her as a senior. I was so happy for Schillonie that tears came!

Least Satisfying Situation:
    The disqualification of the French women after they had already been given their 4x100-meter silver medals on the podium amidst much celebration (what about the time limit for taking such actions?) will always stand out in my memory!! This is the type of stupidity that can destroy an athlete permanently, and it is my hope that those four ladies get the counseling (if necessary) to overcome this brutal action by the judges.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    PS Serious responses only, please.

Last edited by Historian; August 19, 2013, 02:30 PM.

cannot really argue with 1, 2 & 3. especally the hern mckenley c/bar connection. btw do you know the origin of the name calabar?

most satisfying moment ... jmaica's 3rd place finish.

the 2 DQ's ... no not don quarrie ... disqualifications ... both of which affected kaliese ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Calabar? I think it has a Nigerian connection. I was told this by an original Bar man. Gonna have to confirm.

Comment

Early beginnings In 1839, William Knibb, Thomas Burchell and James Phillippo, the three leading English Baptist missionaries working in Jamaica, moved for the creation of a college for training native Baptist ministers. Out of this effort, Calabar Theological College came into being in 1843, sited in the little village of Calabar, near Rio Bueno, in Trelawny Parish. The town Calabar was named by the Spanish after a town in Nigeria of the same name.
        In 1868, Calabar College was removed to East Queen Street, Kingston, where a "normal" school for training teachers and a high school for boys were added. Shortly afterwards, the high school was closed and the teacher-training activities ceased, leaving the practising school—now Calabar All-Age on Sutton Street—and the theological college, which was relocated at Studley Park (on Slipe Pen Road) in 1904.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Your Views?

If you had the opportunity to watch the just completed IAAF World Championships, what are your memorable events, Rudi and Jangle?

By the way, the IAAF likes to give the impression that they are successfully marketing track and field, but I give them a failing grade. I get the distinct impression that aside from diehard track and field fans around the world and also members of the public in small Caribbean states who follow the exploits of their athletes, very few people were even aware that a major championship was taking place during the period August 10-18.

Much more work needs to be done by the IAAF and its associates in making the world more aware of and interested in track and field! (I noticed, for example, the many, many empty seats in the Russian stadium each night!)

Comment

Appreciate the Input

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            cannot really argue with 1, 2 & 3. especally the hern mckenley c/bar connection. btw do you know the origin of the name calabar?

most satisfying moment ... jmaica's 3rd place finish.

the 2 DQ's ... no not don quarrie ... disqualifications ... both of which affected kaliese ...
            Thanks for your input, Gamma.

I saw your question earlier but wanted to first give others a chance to share their most memorable events. In answer to the question, I don’t know much about the history of Calabar, but I see where Rudi has answered and Jangle has provided detailed information.

Comment

You do realise that T&F is huge in parts of asia . i.e Japan big in europe and africa , thats a sizeable part of the world.

Who are these few , the N. americans ,and south americans ? I cant speak for south americans to gauge the few in that part of the world, I think you need to reassess that opinion , T&F expert no one is going to spend billions to market it to a few around the world.

The russian turnout was hot and cold , maybe the recession has something to do with , it isnt a 1st world nation yet economically , still classified as developing , Like S. Africa WC, half the stadium were empty, in no way was it a failure in the world eyes.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

My most memorable moment was Francis's run in the 4x400m. That moment made the entire championship for me. At no point in time did I ever had one iota of doubt that both Shelly-Ann and Bolt would get the double gold, so I was not impressed. Shelly-Ann's margin of victory in the 100m was brawta for me, so was the women's 4x100m win. This was the worst WC ever. The IAAF should never have given Russia the games. As a friend of mine said, Russia is not tourist friendly. They are not even fans of the sport. I really never got excited throughout the games because it was barely broadcast here and I wasn't aware of the schedule. NBC 's coverage was disrespectful to T&F fans here. I am very excited to see how these young 400m boys develop. Besides an overall poor games, my other biggest disappointment was Kalaise Spencer's double misfortunes. Those two races were two sure medals for us. To date I have not watched the 4x400w finals.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Am I the only person who can't get excited about Javon Francis' run?!? He almost lost it on the line!

Call me when Javon Francis vying for gold medals like a likkle fellow from Grenada.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Okay, so Francis is our hero of the meet.

Now, can his handlers keep him far from a microphone until some remedial work is done?

Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Enjoyed Reading Your Comments

Thanks for the input, Jangle.

Javon Francis’ magnificent run is something that I am sure many Jamaicans will remember for a long time to come! The youngster was awesomely impressive!

The disqualification of our hurdler Kaliese Spencer and also the 4x400-meter relay girls is certainly a low point for all of us. What tipped my feelings toward the French women, though, is the fact that they had already received their well-earned medals and were most likely going to have a grand celebration party that night or later. I still recall the immense joy they showed on the podium; it was as if they had won the gold! In fact, the British women had already left the stadium when they learned that France was disqualified and that they would now get the bronze medal.

I also fully agree with you that the IAAF “should never have given Russia the games,” and for the exact reasons you have given.

NBC’s coverage of track and field is always disrespectful, even during the Olympics when track and field finals are relegated to delayed broadcasts late at night. I can distinctly recall times past, for example the 1997 IAAF World Championships, when NBC broadcast the day’s events starting at 12 midnight!

But while I’ve grown used to NBC’s lack of interest in T&F coverage, the attitude of the Canadians this time around really surprised me! The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) generally provides detailed, live coverage of both the Olympic Games and the World Championships. Last year, a different Canadian network covered the Olympics, but this year there was absolutely no coverage by any Canadian television channel.

Once again, thanks for your comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X