• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis focussed - 4x400m hero says education his main goal

Francis focussed - 4x400m hero says education his main goal
    BY KARYL WALKER Editor - Crime/Court Desk walkerk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013

JAVON Francis, the 18-year-old mile relay anchor runner whose heroics on the track at the just-concluded 14th IAAF World Athletics Championships in Moscow, Russia, says despite having a bright future in the sport he will remain focused on his education.

Francis will enter fifth form at Calabar High when the new school year begins next month.

An elated Javon Francis (left) displays his silver medal won courtesy of his blistering anchor leg performance in the men’s 4X400m relay final inside the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow last Friday. Jamaica’s technical leder Maurice Wilson looks on shortly after the team’s arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport yesterday. (PHOTO: KARL MCLARTY)

"I will try to stay in school and focus on my education, because if track and field fails me then I will have something to rock back on. I know many athletes who have their degrees, so I will try to follow in their footsteps," Francis told the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

The teen was one of four Jamaican athletes who returned home yesterday and who were briefly feted inside the VIP lounge at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston.

He cited the example of Grenadian 400-metre sensation Kirani James, who competes on the international track circuit while pursuing tertiary education.
    "He shows that one can study and still take the track. I realise the importance of getting a good education," Francis said.

"I give God thanks that I won a medal to show my mom and dad. I am young still, but I am going to train hard to get the 400 gold medal," he added.

Francis said he felt no pressure when he was given the job of anchoring the team and the desire to stand on the medal podium was his main driving force.
    "I love the cheer of the crowd, and I am used to it from the Penn Relays and Champs. I had to get a medal, so I listened to my coach and timed my run on the backstretch. I wanted to catch the leaders, but the USA was gone. I held my form in the final stages and leaned for the tape. There was no pressure, just the will to win a medal," he said.

Francis showed glimpses of his track and field prowess when he qualified for the World Championships after placing second in a time of 45.24 at the Jamaican trials inside the National Stadium.

He was also named the Penn Relays High School Boy Athlete for Relay Events after an amazing 44.9 seconds anchor leg to secure his team's win of the Championships of Americas 4x400m relays at this year's edition of the meet.

The other athletes who returned home with Francis were quarter-miler Anastasia Leroy, shot putter Raymond Brown, and gold medal sprint relay winner Oshane Bailey.

The athletes were accompanied home by an official delegation which included Sports Minister Natalie Neita-Headley, team leader Trevor 'TC' Campbell; technical leader Maurice Wilson; assistant manager Deon Hemmings-McCatty, and team doctor Derrick McDowell.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2cV2jdvEk
    Last edited by Karl; August 20, 2013, 01:27 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Francis will enter fifth form at Calabar High when the new school year begins next month.
    !!! And he is already 18 years old!

In the meantime, keep him away from interviews, please!!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

He did not go to Munro for sure!

So he is behind by about a couple years. Nothing is wrong with that as long as he keeps focused and his eyes on his goals. He obviously doesn't have the blazing pace he has on the track on his academics, but he will be fine if he maintains his focus.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

True enough. But he has determined that he wants/needs a tertiary education. Jtech mi seh...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

These kids are smart, the English might not be up to par , but is English the sole pre requisite for being smart ? That's how Jamaican society begins the process of disenfranching the poor.

He will make it , English or no English.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

A former schoolmate of mine was a brilliant athlete and he could pass everything else but not English. This is a kid who could read a book and 10 minutes later could tell you almost word for word what was in the book.

He had physics, Chem, All the Math and others in A level. Good thing he didn't need English to go to college. Now he is bigtime in the medical field.

Big up to the youth.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Something tells me it's a little bit more than English that is holding him back educationally...

Comment

It is not the pre-requisite to being smart but it is a massive foundation block of a Jamaican kids education. Without it chances are you are headed for the bottom of the heap unless you have some special talent like Assasin's friend below.

It involves the most fundamental communication skills necessary to do everything in getting on in life and especially the things in life that are necessary to move ahead, applications, interviews, essays, building relationship with people at a certain level where it's not necessarily friendship driven but you have to build out your connection network and from a oral communication standpoint you have to be able to flex between patois and standard English like flipping a switch. Speaking Standard English correctly or close to right requires a very strong understanding of grammar or worst case of written English acquired through tons of reading, either way Nuff work. Let's not sugarcoat this thing, without English you going nowhere fast.

Comment

Enlighten us.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

It nuh matter. Some people do it late. It all depends on the environment he was grown in and all that happened to him.

The important thing is that he values education at this stage. You know how many like him go on to great things outside of track? While some bright ones come and do stupidness?
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Agreed but we need to help those trying to move up and not shoot them down because they verse in a common dialect.

Comment

He wouldn't be entering 5th form at 18 years old if his only problem was being unable to pass English...

Comment

It is great to have good communication skills but "proper" English is only a part of that. Most Jamaican kids are thought nothing about body language, how to project themselves etc. The fact that most of these youths are in the spotlight by chance and never had any classes in communication is telling.

He will be ok as long as he is willing to learn. I think we are too hard on our young athlete when we fail to prepare them for the spotlight. You know in my kid's grade 2 class, Every morning a kid have to go before the class and "read the news"? They take pride in doing that. They have to do it very formally saying 'This is ..... from station..... reporting....'

This youth is no worst than many of the current successful athletes who represent Jamaica and have a degree or two.

Comment

Yes, agree. My focus wasn't on Javon just more general.

Comment

My point was more general, not about Javon. He clearly is very open in his communication style and is a fast learner, he will adapt.

Comment

Working...
                              X