X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs enemies? Afterall, We are Jamaicans

An inside look at Jamaican track's drug-testing woes

By Renee Anne Shirley

Asafa Powell was one of five Jamaicans to test positive before this year's world championships.
    Getty Images

The 2013 world track and field championships finished on Sunday, and the might of Jamaican sprinting was—once again—on display for the world to see. During the nine-day event in Moscow, Jamaican men won four of the six medals available in the 100- and 200-meter races, and took gold in the 4x100-meter relay. Jamaica's Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won the 100 and 200, and the Jamaican women triumphed in the 4x100-meter relay.

There can be no doubt that the tiny island of 2.7 million is the world's preeminent sprint factory. And now the island needs a world-class anti-doping operation to go with its achievements on the track.

In the month before these championships, Jamaica was hit with news that shook the psyche of the entire nation. Five of our elite track and field athletes, including Olympic gold-medalists Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson, failed doping tests. (Both have attributed the failed tests to a supplement they were unaware contained banned ingredients.) This, coming on the heels of an announcement just weeks earlier that three-time Olympic gold-medalist Veronica Campbell-Brown had tested positive for a banned diuretic, was the equivalent of a category-5 hurricane crossing directly over the island.

And just like a hurricane, this disaster is one that I hoped would not visit Jamaica, even as I feared that it would. In 2003, I was made Senior Advisor to Jamaica's Minister of Sport, charged with coordinating the development of Jamaica's Anti-Doping in Sport Programme. Between 2003 and '07, I spearheaded the process by which Jamaica became one of the first thirty countries to ratify the International Convention Against Doping in Sport. Last summer, before Jamaica's triumph on the track at the London Games, I was appointed Executive Director of the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO). (I left that post earlier this year.) JADCO is Jamaica's equivalent of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that brought Lance Armstrong down—charged with administering Jamaica's anti-doping programs in accordance with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

JADCO was formally established only in 2008, and the program has had a difficult childhood. In 2010, after WADA head David Howman pointed out that JADCO had board members who also lead sports associations on the island, the entire 15-member JADCO board of directors was dissolved. One of the dismissed board members, Dr. Herbert Elliott, was Jamaica's team doctor at the Beijing Olympics, and is now chairman of JADCO.

In July, Elliott was vague when asked about the number of out-of-competition tests conducted by JADCO in 2013. "I don't want our athletes to know whether it's 400 or 500 or whatever," he told The Guardian. But Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller recently told Parliament that—in total since 2009—there have been 356 out-of-competition tests conducted in Jamaica.

The current program—while improved—makes a mockery of Jamaica's posturing and flames suspicion more than it douses it. Between the time Between the time the current board was appointed, in February 2012, and the start of the London Olympics late last July, out-of-date testing kits and limited staffing resources resulted in a total of one out-of-competition test. Below are the full 2012 testing numbers by month—with not one out-of-competition test in the three months leading into the Games:
    Jamaica's TestingMonthIn-CompetitionOut-of-CompetitionTotalJanuary000February01010March000Apr il011May15015June81081July000August01616September0 1818October-November71421December51217TOTAL10871179

When I took over, in mid-July, JADCO did not have a large enough staff in place to carry out rigorous anti-doping programs. The Doping Control/Technical Services and the Education/Communications Units had only one junior staff member each, and the director positions were vacant. There was no Whereabouts Information Officer—in charge of keeping track of athletes so that they could be tested out of competition—and only one full-time doping control officer. The committee in charge of reviewing the legitimacy of medical prescriptions for athletes was without a chairman and had never met.

Other aspects of the program were equally troubled—and troubling. I arrived to find no accounting staff in place, and no monthly financial statements had been produced in the five years since inception. JADCO was behind on payments for a number of its bills.

I urged the authorities in Jamaica to get more serious about anti-doping before a scandal hit us. I had long had reason for concern. I quietly tried to point out the presence of Jamaican threads linked to the BALCO case, via the testimony of Angel (Memo) Heredia about his contacts with elite Jamaican athletes. My position is that these threads, no matter how thin, should not be brushed aside as malice, but treated seriously, as they represent a potential threat to the integrity of our athletes and our nation.

During my time with JADCO, I also voiced concern about internet purchases of drugs and supplements by athletes, as there is reason to believe that some Jamaican athletes have been careless in their Internet purchases of dietary supplements, the ingredients labels of which are not tightly regulated in Jamaica. But despite my efforts I could not get any member of the JADCO board or member of Jamaica's Cabinet to take it seriously. They believe that Jamaica does not have a problem.

The more frustrated I became about the lack of staff and attention to issues I raised, the worse the working environment became for me, and in February of this year I met with a group of JADCO board members and we agreed it would be best if I stepped aside. Dr. Elliott has voiced his strong opinion that Jamaican anti-doping efforts are satisfactory. But this is not a time for grandstanding. In the wake of both recent achievements on the track and devastating positive tests off it, we need to believe that our athletes are clean and that our anti-doping program is independent, vigorous, and free from any semblance of conflicts of interest.

This matter should be reviewed by the Cabinet in all urgency, and the necessary changes should be made to provide JADCO with the staff it needs to carry out world-class testing on Jamaica's world-class athletes.

Last edited by Karl; August 20, 2013, 08:59 PM.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Ask her where are we going to get the funding from to implement all what she wants ,furthermore tell her if she can solicit, wada,dada,ioc,nbc,abc or bbc to set up and do independent testing ,we will accept it.

Sour puss.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Here they come out of the wood works, angling for higher positions. A "fi mi time now" mentality which permeates like a fart in an elevator, throughout Jamaica and her politriks.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

A post it from the Jamaican paper above. hope the admin can put it in one.

Ms. Shirley needs to do better. Wasn't she that had to go because of politics too???

She must have them up bad to be doing this in the public after been the director.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I Do NOT Agree With You, Boss!

Jangle, I do NOT agree with your stance on this, boss!

One HUGE problem I have with my people is our tendency at times to replace productive thinking with conspiracy theories and to confuse constructive criticisms with attacks!

First, I agree that Ms. Shirley definitely should not have gone to the length of having her views published by Sports Illustrated magazine! Sports Illustrated has never, as far as I am aware, shown itself to be a friend of Jamaicans or Caribbean people, and so I think she definitely did a wrong thing in this case.

On the other hand, I get the distinct impression that this is an efficient lady who meant well during her time at JADCO, and who tried her best in the midst of an unresponsive, laid-back environment. Certainly, based on her letter to the Gleaner a few weeks ago, she appears to be much more competent and hands-on than the present antiquated leadership of JADCO.

The present leadership and structure of JADCO, like the present leadership and structure of Jamaica’s central government with its lack of responsibility and transparency, does not give me much reason for comfort. If truth be told, I have very little confidence in the typical inflexible central bureaucracy which, to a great extent, is responsible for Jamaica being in its present predicament.

I already posted at least one Daily Gleaner editorial in which the newspaper severely criticized JADCO for being painfully slow, unresponsive and unbelievably frustrating! Check back and read that editorial, which I posted twice on this forum. Check also Dr. Elliott’s comment in this SI article.

Now, for example, why was it necessary for JADCO to wait until WADA head David Holman pointed out the flaws in its personnel structure? Was or was not JADCO aware of this fundamental flaw?

I am not stupid. I am aware of the severe financial constraints facing my country, but we also cannot have our damn cake and eat it! We have top-of-the-world first-class athletes; is it unreasonable to expect a sincere effort at establishing a first-class testing regime? It’s nice for our government and private sector to put up stadium sized screens for a supportive public to cheer for our superstars, but there are responsibilities that accompany the production of superstars!

Finally, I suggest you read the following paragraph, copied from SI, and think about it:

The more frustrated I became about the lack of staff and attention to issues I raised, the worse the working environment became for me, and in February of this year I met with a group of JADCO board members and we agreed it would be best if I stepped aside. Dr. Elliott has voiced his strong opinion that Jamaican anti-doping efforts are satisfactory. But this is not a time for grandstanding. In the wake of both recent achievements on the track and devastating positive tests off it, we need to believe that our athletes are clean and that our anti-doping program is independent, vigorous, and free from any semblance of conflicts of interest.

Comment

If you are aware of the financial restraints as she is , she should touch the subject of funding , anyone expecting a world class anti doping agency in Jamaica is fooling themselves.

Any fool can point out the flaws , it takes a prudent person to present a viable financial solution.The only solution I see is JADCO partnering with an international org to bear cost ! wi caan afford it on our own.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Finally....

I’ve said the above even after being fully aware of Victor Conte’s and Dick Pound’s (among others) destabilizing efforts. But in our responses we simply cannot write off apparently sincere efforts by Jamaicans to make the imperative changes in our traditional irie, laid-back attitude! Casual statements about coming out of the woodwork and “angling for higher positions” cannot be the answer! You do not know the situation at JADCO or why the lady felt forced to leave!

Always remember that Jamaican sprinters are competing against and defeating the best on the planet, so we need to up our game at home, and do so with a sense of urgency.

I won’t say anymore on this vexing subject, but I urge you to scroll down, find and read the damning Gleaner editorial I posted.

Comment

My position is even if we employ to the best of our capabilities JADCO to international standards it will be dismissed, my suggestion turn it over to WADA or the IAAF let them do the testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

First, I agree that Ms. Shirley definitely should not have gone to the length of having her views published by Sports Illustrated magazine! Sports Illustrated has never, as far as I am aware, shown itself to be a friend of Jamaicans or Caribbean people, and so I think she definitely did a wrong thing in this case.

Histy, this statement encapsulate my stance against the Ms. Shirley's and Dr. Wright's, who grab the limelight to boost their status. I agree that JADCO needs to do a better job, but people need to take things into perspective. JADCO is still in its infancy and when these people who hold higher positions in our society come to the media and make certain statements without regards of the negative effects that they have on our athletes and our program, then I have a problem.

Comment

I heard the quack DR Wright on Klass , he seems to know the classification of stimulants all of a sudden , lecturing John public about stimulants and steriods..lol..aahhh sah !

This lady is out of order ,i heard a lady on TVJ giving cost and feasibility on labs and testing , 60 million ,wi nuh even scratch a 1/3 yet and this Shirley is asking for Mana from di sky ?

Comment

I know Anne, used to wrk with her. What she know bout Trax?

Steeuuups.

Lord, save us from waggonists.

Comment

Doesnt have to know squat about track , does she have a business and finance background , that is the question , which would mean she must have an understanding of organizational economic feasibility,if not she is another Quack ! If she does ,still a Quack !

Comment

She does have some business background. From what I have heard she is not easy to work with.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

What is the fall out from this?

a) Shows Anne Shirley may have 'a beef'?

b) JADCO is lousily run!

"a" can be dismissed.
                            "b" should spur JADCO to 'fix things'/raise standard of management and improve performance. ...and that would be a good thing.

As to "who needs enemies" those Jamaicans who are outrage should calm down. Sure we do not like Anne Shirley's timing and tone...but only her pointing at our 'sloppiness' is important. We should just have JADCO 'fix it'...make it a top world professional entity. ...and that also includes replacing the bumbling (as face of JADCO in front of the international media) Dr. Herb Elliot as spokesperson.

End of story!!!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                              Ask her where are we going to get the funding from to implement all what she wants ,furthermore tell her if she can solicit, wada,dada,ioc,nbc,abc or bbc to set up and do independent testing ,we will accept it.

Sour puss.
                              We do not need additional independent testing. We have enough of that in WADA. They come in at any time.

We need to demonstrate that we can create and manage a first class professional top world entity.
                              Last edited by Karl; August 20, 2013, 09:21 PM.
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X