X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica inspires W Africans to get up to speed in sprints

New era for women's sprinting in Africa

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

MOSCOW, Aug 16, 2013 (AFP) — Women's sprinting has entered a new era, declared African duo Murielle Ahoure of the Ivory Coast and Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare after they won the continent's first ever medals in a women's world 200 metres final last Friday in Moscow.

Ahoure, 25, took her second silver of the World Athletics Championships, having become the first African woman to win a medal in the world 100m final, in a photo finish with Okagbare behind Jamaica's 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.

Both of them may train in the United States and have American accents — Ahoure has lived in America since she was a child after arriving from the Ivory Coast via a brief stay in France — but they are Africans to the core.

"Tonight has seen a new era launched in women's sprinting," said a radiant Ahoure.

"I am so proud to be up here as an African. We are the perfect opponents as Blessing represents English speaking West Africa and I represent French speaking West Africa," she giggled.

Ahoure, who said earlier in the week her fame is such in the Ivory Coast that she is known as 'the female Drogba' after the iconic footballer, has said she wants to act as a role model for budding African athletes.

Ahoure, the daughter of a former chief of staff of the Ivorian army, hopes this will halt the drain of talent to countries that offer them money.

"I think it is sad so many African athletes feel it is necessary to move abroad and run for other countries," said Ahoure, who has five siblings.

"At the same time I understand that they have to make a living and an athlete's life is a precarious one. You live with the ever present fear of injury which can end your career."

Ahoure is unequivocal when asked whether Africa can produce the talent to go on and dominate the women's sprints just as the Jamaicans have largely done over the past few years.

"Yes," she said firmly.

However, she accepts that this comes with a large caveat.

"We need investment in infrastructure and training facilities," she said.

Okagbare, who trains with America's 100m world champion from 2011, Carmelita Jeter, admits that her second medal of the week in what was her third final — she won silver in the long jump and finished out of the medals in the 100m — carried more than personal significance.

"It's an honour to make a bit of history for Africa," said the 24-year-old.

"I may live in the United States but I am a proud African and moments like this are wonderful when I feel I am putting them on the map in athletics."

Okagbare said she was confident she could go on and keep being a flagbearer for the continent.

"When I won the long jump bronze at the 2008 Olympics I was only 19 and still naive," she said.

"But as I grew through the years I learnt so much. At first it was difficult to cope with the pressure and what people were saying. But athletes don't go out to fail and when they do it is really tough for them.

"Now I don't pay attention to what people say and I don't worry about what may come in the future.

"I just hope that people will look back and say I gave Africa something to smile about at a world championships."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2cf7Lc0tv
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Here you go again with your racist mumbo jumbo!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Where yu see dem sey dem get INSPIRED by Jamaica? We have fi start watch yu headlines now...psychological subliminal miscommunication.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
        Where yu see dem sey dem get INSPIRED by Jamaica? We have fi start watch yu headlines now...psychological subliminal miscommunication.
        You read where they measured themselves against Jamaica and benchmarked their target at our performance level of sprint dominance ... no?

Inna fi mi book dat name inspiration

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Here you go again with your racist mumbo jumbo!
          I guess mi juss cyaan elp miself

Comment

A Question

I apologize for this twist in the conversation, but there is some relevance to the question I’m about to ask. Does anyone know what became of the Nigerian sprinter Olusoji Fasuba? He was expected to be the next great African sprinter after that 9.85 seconds he ran in a 100-meter dash in Doho (if I’m not mistaken, that was the race in which Justin Gatlin set his world record).

This Nigerian sprinter has seemingly disappeared from the world of sprinting! (He has a Jamaican mother and a Nigerian father.) What is his status now as a sprinter?

Comment

New era results

West Africa - 300 million people, about twenty countries - 3 silver and 1 bronze.

Jamaica - 2.7 million, one tiny country - six gold, two silver and one bronze, I think Jamaica must have the super fast twitch gene or just the best pound for pound track and field program in the world.

Comment

Quarrie cousin!

Comment

Re: New era results

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                  New era results

West Africa - 300 million people, about twenty countries - 3 silver and 1 bronze.

Jamaica - 2.7 million, one tiny country - six gold, two silver and one bronze, I think Jamaica must have the super fast twitch gene or just the best pound for pound track and field program in the world.
                  Well, West Africans do not seem to place much emphasis on track and field. I don’t know if Jamaica has “the best track and field program in the world” (we produce very few elite middle distance runners and field events athletes). Rather, I am very certain that we have “the best sprint (and increasingly, hurdles) program in the world.”

West Africans in general are more interested in the world’s most popular sport, soccer. For example, Murielle Ahoure and Blessing Okagbare both owe their success to the fact that they live and train in the USA.

The dominance of Africans in track and field is a result primarily of two East African nations: Kenya and Ethiopia. These countries are dominating middle distance (1500-meter, 5,000-meter and 10,000-meter) and long distance (the marathon) events in incredible ways.

Occasionally we see a significant performer from Morocco (North Africa).

Comment

West Africans in general are more interested in the world’s most popular sport, soccer. For example, Murielle Ahoure and Blessing Okagbare both owe their success to the fact that they live and train in the USA.

that used to be jamaica as well and guess what? we have done better training at home ... that might have implications but it is what it is the facts are there ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

True

Originally posted by Gamma View Post

that used to be jamaica as well and guess what? we have done better training at home ... that might have implications but it is what it is the facts are there ...
                      True. I certainly can’t argue with that.

The problem is to get West Africans (especially clubs and federations) to see what’s possible for them in track and field. It won’t be easy, and it will not happen overnight. In fact, as you yourself suggested, we in Jamaica are reaping decades of hard work. But if East Africa can do it, so can West Africa, I believe.

A similar problem, to some extent, exists in Latin America, and this can be seen in the usual results from both the junior and the senior Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                        New era results

Curious how you continue a simplistic, nationalist argument... good for feel-good flag waving when we have nothing better to occupy our time but not so good for analysis of the larger, more important Sprint Universe

Please remove the scales from your eyes and forget about national boundaries for a moment...

Can you explain how it is that EVERY 100M FINALIST in the last 7 Olympics has been of primarily West African origin???
                        Last edited by Don1; August 22, 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Every?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I believe so....

If it nuh guh suh.... it nearly guh suh

Comment

that is what you call FAXS. LOL
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X