Our Netball Teams: Consistently Good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Netball Teams: Consistently Good!

I have long maintained that Jamaica is a sports powerhouse in only three disciplines. In my ranking them from the greatest at the top, they are:

1. the 100, 200 and 400-meter sprints and the sprint and mile relays (all track and field events);

2. Netball

3. Cricket (albeit not consistently)

Congratulations to our Under-21 netball team for another job well done (bronze in the 2013 World Youth Championships in Scotland, following up on their bronze in the 2009 World Youth Championships in the Cook Islands)! The ladies have performed admirably yet again!

Jamaica’s Under-21 netballers. - File

Bronze For Under-21s - Young Sunshine Girls Whip England 52-33

Published: Sunday | September 1, 2013

Members of the Jamaica Under-21 netball team celebrate after defeating England 52-33 to win the bronze medal at the World Youth Netball Championships in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday. - Collin Reid photo courtesy of Supreme Ventures, Courts and Scotiabank

Robert Bailey, Sunday Gleaner Writer
    Standout shooter Shanice Beckford netted a game-high 29 goals from 30 attempts to spark Jamaica to an easy 52-33 victory over arch-rivals England to retain the bronze medal at the World Youth Netball Championships (WYNC) in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday.
    The Jamaican girls who also won the bronze medal four years ago in the Cook Islands, started the match confidently and raced to 14-11 lead at the end of the first quarter.
    The Junior Sunshine Girls increased their lead in the second period as Beckford shot a perfect six goals from six attempts to outscore the English girls 9-7 for a 25-18 lead at half-time.
    Jamaica played a much faster game than England, and forced their opponents into many mistakes throughout all areas of the court, especially in the third quarter.

consistently third...

Comment

Yes, But....

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
      consistently third...
      More or less, but their nemesis has always been the powerhouse teams Australia and New Zealand. I don’t take this consistent third-place performance by our girls for granted. In fact, I am proud of them as, next to our sprinters, they have presented the most consistent success for Jamdown in sports.

Comment

Very nice looking team. Personally I am so tired of losing to NZ and Australia that when I see news that we crushed Scotland and the article is making a big deal of that I just shake my head as we are supposed to crush Scotland.

What we need now is to be more competitive against the nz and aus and start beating England consistently.

Comment

Netball experts - what does Jamaica needs to do to consistently challenge Australia for the number 1 spot? We consistently come third.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Bronze Queens.

Don't understand why we can't bust thru that Down Under floorboard. What are they doing that we can't do?

Must be a genes thing. I-man, what yuh think?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hah hah!

On a serious note, I have heard that fitness level has been a consistent problem for our national netball teams. They fade badly towards the end of their games against the top opposition. I have never watched a national team netball tournament myself though.
              Last edited by Islandman; September 1, 2013, 05:06 PM.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Dem not only tall, all a dem have "tall " hair; dem don know seh Afro coming back in style?? Congrats on the 3rd place finish!
                Peter R

Comment

Jamaica has been consistent in cricket. Regional champs for 5 straight years....

Comment

The natural look not in vogue in Jamaica....

Comment

You Are Correct

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                      Jamaica has been consistent in cricket. Regional champs for 5 straight years....

I stand corrected, Exile boss. In my hasty typing yesterday, that five-year regional dominance slipped my memory. (The truth is, I was thinking of past losses, in particular silly Twenty20 losses to Trinidad and Guyana; lol.)

Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

400m and sprint hurdles too.

Comment

3 disciplines ... that is better than 2 or 1 and still better than most!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yes. and?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                            X