Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana's Hibbert regrets representing Jamaica

Indiana's Hibbert regrets representing Jamaica

Jamaican-born Roy Hibbert of Indiana Pacers in action against the Miami Heat's Lebron James during last season's Eastern Conference play-offs. - File
    Indiana Pacers star centre Roy Hibbert has expressed regret at ever donning the national colours as he continues to be frustrated in his bid to represent the United States.

Hibbert last appeared for Jamaica at the Centro Basketball Tournament in the Dominican Republic in 2010. The player has since requested that he be released by the country in order to fulfil his dream of representing the stars and stripes. The player explained that the potential of making an appearance at the Olympics weighed heavily as a key factor in accepting the invitation for the Jamaican national team in the first place.

"I wanted to play in the Olympics and then they invited some other guys from my draft class to be centres," Hibbert told online publication SI.com's Fansided (http://fansided.com).

"I thought I could have been in that group. If I had gotten invited, I wouldn't have played for Team Jamaica. You live and you learn," the player said.

Since appearing for the Jamaica national team, the player has gone on to become one of the National Basketball Association's (NBA) most recognisable centres. The 7'1" big posted a strong series against last season's eventual champions Miami Heat, dominating a slightly smaller line-up in a thrilling East Conference final, which saw the Heat advance in seven games.

Hibbert, who asked to be released two years ago, claims talks to finalise the switch of allegiance are ongoing, but no headway has yet been made in the issue. Little headway has, however, been made in the problematic issue.

"There has been some dialogue, but right now international lawyers are taking care of that to see if I can get out of my Team Jamaica thing," Hibbert said.

It does seem certain that the player will not reconsider his stance as it regards donning the black green and gold.

"If I don't play for Team USA ever again, I'll enjoy my summers and bulk up like I did this summer."

http://jamaica-star.com/thestar/2013...VS_SI.facebook

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Jamaican-born Roy Hibbert of Indiana Pacers
    Uhmm...he wasn't born in Jamaica...

Comment

Some great reporting there.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Das all yuh ave fi say bout di article?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cannot fault his decision making...first off he is American...second...he chose to represent Jamaica before he started earning $15 mil a year...no need to put his body on the line for Jamaica when he is earning that kinda money...

Comment

But do you come out and say what he said? Times have changed for him, clearly, but he could use a publicist. Think he can afford one?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Obviously there is bad blood between him and JABA...they are probably dragging their feet on releasing him...so he is letting them know that he ain't playing for them again ever...you really think he cares about the negative PR he will receive in Jamaica regarding his statement?

Comment

We wuss no care bout him ra5s needah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  We wuss no care bout him ra5s needah!
                  Damn right. I hope they make his ass suffer. Don't release him. Let him exhaust every appeal and process at his disposal. I would fight him tooth and nail just out of spite. If he wasn't committed he shouldn't have joined Jamaica in the first place. Who the hell does he think he is? The guy is a straight punk. Can't believe I used to cheer this idiot on when he was playing for Georgetown.
                  No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

don't see what the money he earns has to do with his representation. i would more think his development as a player who has caught the eye of the americans is more of a factor.

represent jamaican when he is not even sure if the americans would notice him and then....not sure about where the bad blood comes about but would not be surprised if the circumstances under which he wants to change IS the cause for the bad bllod

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

If I am earning $15 mil us a year...and my contract is up for renewal again in 3 years...why would I want to risk my body playing basketball for Jamaica...risk vs reward is heavily in risk's favour...

Comment

the risk on injury is probably the same irrespective of who he plays for. how would beeing injured playing for the us mitigate his 15 million a year contract? also he should be insured in any event.

what i can see, is that having a chance to play with the US increases significantly the chances of having a successful international career, FIBA world championship and olympic gold medal etc and that is significant motivation.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post

what i can see, is that having a chance to play with the US increases significantly the chances of having a successful international career, FIBA world championship and olympic gold medal etc and that is significant motivation.
                          And along with that comes increased exposure which will increase endorsements...so the risk is not as significant...

p.s. if he gets injured he is insured for his current contract...his contract is up in 3 years and if he performs to expectation he is in line for a max deal...$100 mil...insurance will not cover that...

Comment

insurance doesn't cover that for anyone generally so again, the risk of injury seems even less of a factor than is the opportunity to play for the US and THAT i think is the fallout ...

Comment

Surely it is not our JA association not releasing him?

What is the procedure for making such a switch?
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X