No announcement yet.

T&T's 2003 World Championships 100 metres silver medallist moving to Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&T's 2003 World Championships 100 metres silver medallist moving to Jamaica

T&T's Brown moving to Jamaica
    published: Tuesday | August 29, 2006
    <DIV id=printReady><DIV class=KonaBody>

Anthony Foster, <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: black! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Freelance </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: black! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Writer</SPAN>

Left: Darrel Brown. Right: Asafa Powell

Trinidad and Tobago's 2003 World Championships 100 metres silver medallist, Darrel Brown, is set to join the world 100m record holder Asafa Powell at the MVP Track Club at the start of the new season.

Brown, the World Junior 100m record holder at 10.01 seconds, is scheduled to arrive in the island in October to start training with Stephen Francis at the University of Technology (UTech)-based camp, which houses Powell and 2005 World Championships 100m silver medallist Michael Frater, and Commonwealth Games sprint relay <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: black! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">gold</SPAN> medallist Ainsley Waugh.

Bruce James, president of MVP Track Club, confirmed that Brown is set to join the camp soon.

"There has been an arrangement for Brown to join the camp," said James. "I think it will be in October," James added.

In an interview with The Gleaner yesterday from Auburn, Brown said he is looking forward to work with coach Francis.

He said his main objectives are to "stay healthy" and "to get back to where I think I should be, in the top five of the world 100m list."

Brown's former coach, Bahamian Henry Rolle, the man who coached him to World Championship told the Trinidad Express he believes the 21-year-old sprinter made the right decision.

Rolle said Brown's decision to switch training base from Auburn, Alabama to Kingston, Jamaica is the best one.

"I was asked to work with Darrel, and I told him I would guide him to a point where I felt I could not take him any further, and then I would send him to the place that is best for him.

"I don't have an ego," the Bahamian coach continued, "and regardless of public perception, I know when I can't reach an individual."

Rolle said that while many top coaches were keen to work with Brown, Francis is the one he believes can help the T&amp;T <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink2 &#111;nmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(eve
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

RE: T&T's 2003 World Championships 100 metres silver medallist moving to Jamaica

what is he going to JA for, he needs to stay in Trinidad. We, silly, Jamaicans never get the message that these trinidad people cant stand us.

Comment

RE: T&T's 2003 World Championships 100 metres silver medallist moving to Jamaica

As long as him money dripping oil - WELCOME!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

we don't need there money, to hell with them. Let Brown turn to Jackass Warner for his training.

Comment

Hey, there's some truth to what you are saying!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X