• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect to mi school Friend Carl Brissett

Carl Brissett's fruitful sports career

Published: Saturday | December 28, 2013

Brissett

Gareth Davis Sr, Gleaner Writer

Portland:Whenever the game of cricket is mentioned in Portland, it is more than likely that the first name to pop up in minds would be that of Carl Brissett, international cricketer and now coach of the national Under-15 team.

To many in the parish and elsewhere, Brissett is merely giving back to a sport of his choice by assisting youngsters to learn the game.

From the days of playing Headley Cup cricket for Happy Grove High then Titchfield High in Portland, before moving on to England where he played league cricket with some of the game's best, including Darren Gough and Michael Vaughn, who both played for England); Simon Doyle (who played for New Zealand); former West Indies great Collis King; Stuart Williams; and Corey Collymore, Brissett has gained valuable experience at the international level.

"The experience was great," commented Brissett.

He added, "After playing Headley Cup cricket for Happy Grove and Titchfield in 1981-83, I made the All-Headley Cup team, where we played an All-Sunlight Cup team, which, at that time, also included cricket legend Courtney Walsh.

"I left for England in 1985-86, where I started my international career in cricket. I first played for an all-black team, but struggled during the first season. However, my second season was great and the patrons started coming out to the games just to see this new overseas player."

LOVE FOR CRICKET

According to Brissett, his love for cricket allowed him to perform well and shortly after, he started playing league cricket for Yorkshire, where he played with some great players who later went on to represent their respective countries at the international level.

Brissett, who hails from a depressed community, Hectors River, bowls left-hand orthodox spin and batted right-handed at No. 3. He would spend the next 17 years playing cricket across several counties in England, scoring century after century.

The cricketer recounted that while in Jamaica, he was invited to national trials on several occasions where he topped the bowling average and was third in the batting on just about every occasion, but was still unable to make the national squad.

Continuing, Brissett added: "I also played with Marlon Tucker, who at the time was captain of Lucas in the Senior Cup and also captain of the Jamaica team. He, too, was baffled that I was unable to make the national team.

"Today, I realise that my non-inclusion in the national team opened a way for me internationally, to which I am forever grateful. I have retired from international cricket, but today I am passing on my experience to the youth, who are the future of this country."

Today, Brissett also coaches Port Antonio High in cricket and football, and is the proud holder of Level I and II certificates in cricket which were attained in England, along with advanced Level I and II certificates in football.

rural@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; December 28, 2013, 02:09 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

True dat, true dat. If most ah dem West Indies batsman did hab di technique similar or anyting close to dis bat, dem performance inna di Test series dem wouldah nuff bettah. Jus because a Portland bat, mek him nevah mek di WI side. Said way dem treat di Mr Chin from Buff Bay inna di 90's. East man get no love, what ah ting eh!!

Comment

Assassin so you a Titchfield man or a Happy Grove man. I don't actually remember Brisset personally but I was part of a Calabar team to Titchfield in 1982, I have to ask some of my teammates if they remember him. That was a trip that lives in all our memories for a variety of reasons least of which was the actual cricket match, all a can say is Titchfield had some girls that tortured our brains for a while there.

Comment

yeah man real Titchfield man. Most of the cricket team was m friends. I use to hang with Brissett, Melbourne Hyre(the fast pace bowler and footballer), Garfield Wildman(another very good bat) Richard Basco Vassell (opening bat) Mikey Spied, Paul Atkinson and Delroy Billy Haye who played for my soccer team.

I use to practice with them more time but I only like to watch cricket and never really tried. My Brother use one PE open session and became the open bat for Titchfield in 1978 as a 3rd former. He had a lot of promise but migrated but I was just his number one fan but I know the team and maybe most of the girls that hang around at that time. Some very lovely girls.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you nuh, We had a few cricketers coulda give them back in the days but you know the politics. Carl played in England and play Hotel Cricket in Ja and mash them up but couldn't get a call. Pity Titchfield current admin couldn't see it fit to use him because of lack of vision but big up to the work he is doing. From that Cricket team so far Spied is a principal, Flemings is a prinicipal, Billy Haye is a techer, and Brissett too. That team was second in Headley cup only to STETHS.

Comment

I always remember Wildman, really good batsman.He was a wicketkeeper too right?
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yeah. Really good Batsman. It was customary for him and Karl to put on 100 runs partnership in Headly cup. Last time I saw him was in NY. He was a part of the US cricket team.

Comment

Working...
              X